I think I have a PR3 problem

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Got a trip coming up in a few weeks, and thought the current tires would not make it, so last week I called the local honda dealer about new tires. Gave them the sizes (120/70ZR18 front, & 170/60ZR17 rear) & model of bike (2007 St1300). Told me he could have PR3s here this week! I had him double check because on this forum I have read that the fronts were hard to get, but he said he would have them, and sure enough they arrived thursay (7/7).
Left the bike with him Friday morning & picked it up last night! Checked for missing fasteners & such, everything OK, rode 4 miles to my house. I am excited, new tires, week long trip coming up, and now I am ready to just get on the road... I parked in my driveway and walked around the bike to admire my new tires, and something caught my eye.... the front tire was a 110/80ZR18????? What??? - Nobody at the dealership told me they were substituting this size!!:confused: Michelin fitment guide shows this size sutable for a 2.5 to 3.0 rim - I believe the ST1300 is a 3.5. Now I am not a tire expert, but I think this would not be a safe application.
Before I go down & fire bomb the dealership this morning, is this size swap acceptable or OK for the ST1300?

tram

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Yes, there are no OEM size front tires out yet for the front.

Personally- I wouldn't use it in that size. I would run the PR2 front in the correct size instead.

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
That's what I have been thinking. As soon as they open up today, they'll be doing a tire swap.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I, also, would have them swap it out. I don't consider one size down "unsafe", but it does give a different profile to the tire, which will make the bike handle a bit different, and could possibly affect treadwear some. If it were an emergency and that tire was the only tire available to get home on, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it and run it. But putting down your hard-earned money to get ready for a trip, make sure you get what you want.

Jim

OP
OP
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Well, dealer says that they ordered the wrong tire - got a PR2 coming now.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Well, dealer says that they ordered the wrong tire - got a PR2 coming now.
Glad they have the right size on order. No PR3's yet I have had a order on file since January. Glad its working out. Big liability with what they did. Thats a real NO NO in oue book. Happy you noticed it. Ride safe on your trip. Tim

Top Bottom