New PR2s mounted @ the dealer, won't hold air

Bike
BMW K1600 GTL
STOC #
I recently bought a new set of PR2's to replace the Storm 2's that I had pressed my luck on for 6500 miles this week. Had them mounted Friday and they road smooth after work going home. I was very happy to no longer have the Storms on with all the issues others on the forum have had.

But when I was riding home there was the sensation in the ride that you get when they are low on air. It was over 100 degrees that day so I figured it was just me. That evening I noticed the rear tire was almost flat. I filled it and by the next morning it was low again. It continues to not hold air, does anyone have any ideas why this would occur. There's no obvious punctures or damage that I can see and I don't hear any air leaking.

Thanks for your help

Chris

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Maybe the valve was not tightened down inside the stem or it is defective. Spray a little windex on the valve stem and around the rim where the tire seats and see if a bubble appears.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Maybe the valve was not tightened down inside the stem or it is defective. Spray a little windex on the valve stem and around the rim where the tire seats and see if a bubble appears.
A big +1 on that.

To find leaks, a plumber friend tells me that he uses kids bubbles solution (the stuff you blow bubbles with). It works better than soapy water.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Dave, good suggestions above. Ken, I'd heard the same thing, but I don't have kiddo bubble solution around so soapy water seems good enough.

I've found nicks on a few rims where the bead seats, which the bead usually will seal, but not always seal. In almost all cases of tire changes I've done (on new-to-me rims) I've found lots of grimy scale that the dealer shops usually don't remove. Taking off that scale makes a difference on how well the bead seals.

Although not necessarily the case, another possibility is that the rubber seal at the tire's bead may be cut/damaged. IMO, if it is not a valve stem leak, you need to insist on seeing this tire unmounted and you should personally flex that rubber seal with your finger tips all the way around, both beads, looking for cuts and damage. If it is damaged, the tire should not be reinstalled. You should also inspect the bead area of the rim for gouges, obviously with the tire removed. If any gouges, they should be lightly filed/sanded smooth. (The service manager and tire installer will not like hearing this requirement, but it is your risk and they should be willing to let you inspect the tire and rim, unmounted.)

Bike
2006 ST1300
:plus1::plus1::plus1::plus1::plus1:

As someone who works "on the other side of the fence", if a tire I installed didn't hold air, I'd want it back so I could make it right.

Jim

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
+1 on the cleaning of the rim bead area... I use a plastic dish scrubby and you'd be amazed at some crud that can come off.
Another thing about the valve itself... is it a standard rubber one, was it replaced as should have been. Any tire losing that much air will show where quickly with dishwash soap/water in a spray bottle.

OP
OP
86Magna
Bike
BMW K1600 GTL
STOC #
Thanks all for the input. I hate having to spend my time taking it back to the dealer, but that's what it looks like I will have to do.
Screwing stuff like a MC tire up like this just really chaps my hide. You just don't screw things up like this, you do it right the first time or someone gets really hurt.
Another case for doing it myself!

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Thanks all for the input. I hate having to spend my time taking it back to the dealer, but that's what it looks like I will have to do.
Screwing stuff like a MC tire up like this just really chaps my hide. You just don't screw things up like this, you do it right the first time or someone gets really hurt.
Another case for doing it myself!
+1 ... that's one of the reasons I do all my own.

Did you find the source of the leak?

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
All of the above that was suggested. Did they replace the valve stems?
Use Windex to check for leaks. Sprays easy and bubbles good.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
+1 on the valve stems and the rim being incorrectly prepared for fitting.

I started fitting my own tyres after very poor service from a tyre shop.

Where I live there is one option but the tyre fitter is poorly trained, the place I used previously, over the water from us, is supposed to have "trained" fitters, but I had to stop one using a steel bristle brush on my anodised alloy rim.......

I bought a bead breaker, one new tyre lever to go with my two old ones, and a manual balancer.

It can be hard work, but as I no longer use Bridgestone, it is less hard than it used to be!

If you use a tyre shop, then you should check they always fit a new valve and properly clean the rim with rubber solvent (we call it bufsol over here) and a clean rag. I bought some nylon pan scourers too for the stubborn bits.....

Since fitting my last new Avons I have seldom had to top them up.

Failure to prepare is preparation for failure.......

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Have you tried simply snugging down the internal Schrader valve mechanism a little? Maybe they aren't well seated.

OP
OP
86Magna
Bike
BMW K1600 GTL
STOC #
Have you tried simply snugging down the internal Schrader valve mechanism a little? Maybe they aren't well seated.
I did try that and it was snug. Trailered the ST to the dealer today and it was the schrader that was bad. They replaced it and there is a minor/very small leak. I have the 90 degree valve stems and they suggested that I change them out. Put the metal cap on with a ruber gasket and it should hold air. Maybe this is why if I didn't ride it in a week I would loose 1-2 lbs and have to fill it. I can live with having to check the air pressure. I'll probably change them out with the next tire change.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
You can probably repair this by changing the internal valve mechanism inside the stem. That's the only part that usually goes bad. Any auto parts place will sell you a package of them. I had to salvage one from a bicycle once the night before a big trip. Saved the day!

Bike
2006 ST1300
I did try that and it was snug. Trailered the ST to the dealer today and it was the schrader that was bad. They replaced it and there is a minor/very small leak. I have the 90 degree valve stems and they suggested that I change them out. Put the metal cap on with a ruber gasket and it should hold air. Maybe this is why if I didn't ride it in a week I would loose 1-2 lbs and have to fill it. I can live with having to check the air pressure. I'll probably change them out with the next tire change.
The cap is NOT for sealing air, just keeping dirt/water out. If they put new tires on, they should have installed new stems. If they didn't, or their stems are leaking, they should take care of it.

Jim

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
86Magna
Bike
BMW K1600 GTL
STOC #
The cap is NOT for sealing air, just keeping dirt/water out. If they put new tires on, they should have installed new stems. If they didn't, or their stems are leaking, they should take care of it.

Jim
Agreed, will have to get them ordered

Top Bottom