Article [13] ST1300 - RECALL: Rear Brake Reservoir Hose (Bike Years: 2008-2010)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Model (Years):
ST1300/ST1300A (2008-2010)
ST1300P (2009)

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 11V356000

Summary:
HONDA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008 THROUGH 2010 ST1300 MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM NOVEMBER 15, 2007,THROUGH MAY 27, 2010, MODEL YEAR 2008 THROUGH 2010 ST1300A MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM NOVEMBER 7, 2007, THROUGH APRIL 6, 2010, AND MODEL YEAR 2009 ST1300PA POLICE MOTORCYCLES, MANUFACTURED FROM NOVEMBER 18, 2008, THROUGH DECEMBER 8, 2009. WHEN THE REAR SUSPENSION OF THE MOTORCYCLE IS REPEATEDLY BOTTOMED OUT (FULLY COMPRESSED), THE REAR BRAKE RESERVOIR HOSE MAY BECOME DAMAGED AND LEAK BRAKE FLUID.

Consequence:
THE RIDER WILL EXPERIENCE A LOSS OF REAR BRAKE PERFORMANCE OR FUNCTION WHICH INCREASES THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Remedy:
DEALER WILL REPLACE THE REAR BRAKE RESERVOIR HOSE FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE JULY 26, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT HONDA AT 1-800-999-1009.

Notes:
HONDA SAFETY RECALL NO. R86. OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Update (Recall Instructions):
ST Wiki Link
also attached below.

Part Number for replacement kit:
43570-MCS-305

Attachments

Last edited:

Gunz

Houligan
Bike
'08 1300
STOC #
My turn for a (yet another) stupid question... Where do you find the manufacture date? (And where do you find the ST Wiki link in the new forum?)

Thanks,

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
The date doesn't matter; go by the VIN. Since this is a design flaw, it's pretty safe to assume that every 2008 and later bike is affected.

We used to auto-link STWiki when you mentioned it. Let's see if that still works. Nope. Here's a link: http://stwiki.notonthe.net.

--Mark

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The Wiki link is on the home page along w/RAN and Awards links.

If your bike is affected, I'm sure you'll get a letter but you can probably also call your dealer and they can look up the VIN to see if you are affected.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Your VIN is also on both your bike's title, as well as on your insurance card. That's a quick way to look it up.

Also, to the poster who said 'since its a design flaw its safe to assume all 2008 and later bikes will be affected', not necessarily so. I've seen many instances where just a few months production run of bikes has been affected by recalls as the result of a change in production-line procedure. Bike design wasn't changed, but for whatever reason, the manufacturere changed the way the parts were bolted together or routed. The new method caused issues, thus a recall for a select batch of models. This may be the case here, as well. Having said that, I haven't looked on parts diagrams to see if the rear brake hose on 2008+ models is different from those on previous models.....

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Also, to the poster who said 'since its a design flaw its safe to assume all 2008 and later bikes will be affected', not necessarily so. I've seen many instances where just a few months production run of bikes has been affected by recalls as the result of a change in production-line procedure.
That was me, and I based it on what Honda said in the defect notice, which shows a design change to the hose fix the problem. There were a handful of parts in the brake system that were changed in 2008, and that hose was one of them.

--Mark

gepol

Greek Guy
Bike
ST1300A 2008
My VIN is : JH2SC51A68K61xxxx. According to the Defect Notice my VIN is, or is not in the list????

The vehicle unique number(last six digits) is included, but the 8th digit (bold and underlined in the mentioned VIN) is not. Any ideas?

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
SC51A is the model code for the Pan European, which isn't sold in North America. (How to pick apart your VIN: CLICKY) The defect notice is part of the recall process in the U.S., so they're only reporting VINs that were sold there.

I would get in touch with a local dealer or Honda Greece and see if they plan to go through whatever you're supposed to do there (or in the EC) to do a recall.

--Mark

gepol

Greek Guy
Bike
ST1300A 2008
True, but according to the link you mentioned, SC514A in the VDS table, refers to PanEuropean ABS of 2004 which confuses me. My VIN number is of a 2008 model. In any case I will contact my Local Honda and report back....

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Okay, I went an looked at mine. Had a hard time figuring out where it was 'til I read the doc in the link Mark posted - Thanks! There's a couple diagrams in there.

On the right side of the bike, you can look underneath, between the swingarm and frame, just ahead of where the muffler narrows. Basically, the base of the rear shock.

I've attached a pic of mine, I looked real close and took some hi-res macro pics and didn't see any rubs or anything that 'looked' wrong, I was rubbing the area to see if I could feel any fluid or obvious issues so that's the marks you see. We're talking rubber hoses here so there could be damage internally that you can't see from the external material. But, this is where you want to look just to make sure you don't have a leak or what looks like torn or degraded material, signs of the swing arm hitting.

In yellow is the hose.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
True, but according to the link you mentioned, SC514A in the VDS table, refers to PanEuropean ABS of 2004 which confuses me. My VIN number is of a 2008 model.
The table in the page I linked to is incomplete because information on non-North-American bikes has been hard to come by. What's there has been filled in based on information found in Honda documents or provided by other owners. Until now, I didn't have a VIN sample for a 2008 Pan ABS, but now that you've provided one, I've added the VDS to the table and added a clarification about the blank cells.

Your VIN decodes as follows:
  • J - Asia
  • H2 - Honda Motorcycle
  • SC51A - Pan European ABS
  • 6 -Check digit
  • 8 - Model year 2008
  • K - Kumamoto plant
  • 61xxxx - Sequence number

The bottom line is that if the Pan VDS scheme follows that of North American models, 2002-2004 were anybody's guess and afterward they remained consistent from year to year.

--Mark

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I've attached a pic of mine, I looked real close and took some hi-res macro pics and didn't see any rubs or anything that 'looked' wrong, I was rubbing the area to see if I could feel any fluid or obvious issues so that's the marks you see.
Take a real close look at the two spots in your picture that I highlighted. It looks a lot like there's a notch in the hose that's about the same diameter as the retainer bolted to the swingarm. The retainer also looks like it has a clean spot where it might hit the hose.

--Matk

Attachments

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Take a real close look at the two spots in your picture that I highlighted. It looks a lot like there's a notch in the hose that's about the same diameter as the retainer bolted to the swingarm. The retainer also looks like it has a clean spot where it might hit the hose.

--Matk
Hard to tell, I looked again and I think that's a clean spot from my finger when I was feeling the hose. I rubbed the rest of it and if there was a lot of rubbing, I'd expect a lighter spot but it looks fine. I should have taken a pic BEFORE I was poking around there but I didn't think about that. Once I go on a couple rides and it all gets dusty again, I'll re-check.

gepol

Greek Guy
Bike
ST1300A 2008
True, but according to the link you mentioned, SC514A in the VDS table, refers to PanEuropean ABS of 2004 which confuses me. My VIN number is of a 2008 model. In any case I will contact my Local Honda and report back....
I checked with my local Honda, and my VIN is on the recall list. I went to the authorized service for a check and they did not find anything wrong. They said that it's a spare part that will be replaced when it will become available. Not very happy having to do about 3000miles on a Europe tour.

Bike
ST1300 '08
got mine done today at Shawnee (OK) Honda. they had ONE kit in stock. They worked me in, which means I sat there for 2.5 hours, and the actual work took another 45 minutes (90 minutes by the book apparently). anyway, as far as I know so far all is well.

The ride over there, about an hour, was a balmy 104. The ride home.... 111. HOT. at least I got it done.

Got mine done today. Lake City Powersports in Seattle, small shop so they had to order the parts last week. In by 10am and out at noon, painless... except they didn't replace any of the bleed nipples dust caps (front and back).

gepol

Greek Guy
Bike
ST1300A 2008
Got my letter a week ago, so some others in Greece. Next week I am scheduled to make the replace. Will report when it's done...

Bike
2012 ST
My son rode the ST across the country and back 12.5k miles and had no problem.
The dealer in Kansas City who did the oil change (overfilled) told me about the recall but our inspection showed no wear. Probably cuz he didn't bottom the suspension.

Will have it done just for grins but I think that it is more of a "Extreme" rider (or law enforcement) problem.

Just my $0.02

Woodwork

Bike
2008 ST1300
Saw a new part at my local honda dealer it is a new resevoir and hose. Might want to check your bike and see if your rear brake resevoir hose is rubbing into the right rear foot peg mount plate. The mount plate has a sharp edge on it-my hose was up against the foot peg mount plate pretty firmly. I took a small file and took the sharp edge off the foot peg plate(easy to do the plate is aluminum)then zip tied a piece of thick flexible plastic to the hose to further protect the hose from rubbing the foot peg plate until i get the recall done.

Top Bottom