Article [13] ST1300 - RECALL: Rear Brake Reservoir Hose (Bike Years: 2008-2010)

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Based on the original notice here, I had the recall warranty work completed at my local dealer well before I got there letter.

Note: If you think it's not a problem or you can just quick fix it yourself with some tape and shielding and you have a problem later . . . it's on you. It's a free fix, so get'er done.

Shuey

Bike
2017 BMW R1200GSA
I contacted my dealer about this recall and they told me that they don't keep this part in stock and would have to keep my bike for about a week while they order and receive the part. Anyone gotten a similar reply? Should I just find another dealer? It's prime riding season down here and I would hate to leave the bike with them for a whole week.

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
I contacted my dealer about this recall and they told me that they don't keep this part in stock and would have to keep my bike for about a week while they order and receive the part. Anyone gotten a similar reply? Should I just find another dealer? It's prime riding season down here and I would hate to leave the bike with them for a whole week.
Can't you just tell them you'll bring the bike in when they get the part?

Bike
2017 BMW R1200GSA
I tried that but the service rep said that they have to keep the bike while the part is on order. Maybe they don't want to deal with it and want me to go somewhere else. I'm going to stop by there one day this week and if they give me the same reply, perhaps I'll ask for the service manager or take my business elsewhere.

Bike
2006 ST1300
It's YOUR bike. Tell them if they want to keep it, give you a loaner; otherwise, take the bike home while its on order. If they have a problem with that, take your business elsewhere...and let them know that will include you next new bike.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Bike
2008 ST1300
I called Russellville Honda and they said they would have to order the part. I made arrangements to ride to Russellville the next Monday when they said the part would come in. I called before riding there. Had a pleasant ride up Highway 7 from Hot Springs and waited while they changed the brake line. It took about an hour and a half. I spent the time looking at the bikes, including a new black ST. When they were done I had another nice ride back down Highway 7 to southern Garland County. All in all a very nice day. Had three guys riding with me. My brother was on a full dress Harley. One on a softtail Harley and One on a full dress Victory. I could easily stay with the two Harleys, but the man (my age, about 6) could really go on that Victory. And, he made it look so easy.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just performed this recall myself. Didn't take too long actually.

I used a turkey baster to pull some fluid out of the rear reservoir, then with the right saddlebag off, you can see the one screw that secures the bottom of the hose.

You want to remove the lower black cowl from the bike, I didn't and got some brake fluid on it but cleaned it up quickly.

You want something to catch any fluid in the hose as well as some rags in that area just to catch the ounce or so of fluid once you pull the bottom hose out.

Then, you unscrew the 10mm bolt that holds the reservoir on and with some tugging and twisting, you pull upwards and the res and hose come out.

You'll see in the pic below the 2008-2010 part (left) and revised part (right) that takes some bend out of the hose and pulls it away from the movement of the swingarm.

One thing to check is that the o-ring from the original part is removed - the replacement part comes with a new o-ring.

Install in reverse order and fill w/dot4 brake fluid. I slowly pressed the brake pedal and 1 medium sized bubble made it's way to the top. I doubt a rear circuit brake bleed is necessary but I'll do that tomorrow anyway just for giggles.

Attachments

Outbackwack

Howard
Bike
'13 Vstrom 650
STOC #
I completely forgot about this until I found the recall notice in an old pile of papers last week. Since I'm due to have the fluids flushed/replaced would it be worth it to have the dealer do it all at the same time? Or would I be better off ordering the part and, like Mellow, doing it myself while I'm bleeding all the lines. I've never bled lines before so it'll be my first time using the Motion Pro. I already have all the Tupperware off for other maintenance stuff.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I completely forgot about this until I found the recall notice in an old pile of papers last week. Since I'm due to have the fluids flushed/replaced would it be worth it to have the dealer do it all at the same time? Or would I be better off ordering the part and, like Mellow, doing it myself while I'm bleeding all the lines. I've never bled lines before so it'll be my first time using the Motion Pro. I already have all the Tupperware off for other maintenance stuff.
If you're doing the brake bleed anyway, it's a good time to change out the part. It's not difficult.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I would do it yourself to ensure its done right. The dealer is a tossup. You could get one that really cares, and does a 100% fluid bleed/change. Or you could get one who is in a hurry and simply swaps hoses and only bleeds until air is out of that line, and hands you your keys back.

Top Bottom