Michelin PR 3's

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I didn't want to hear anyone post about wandering and twitching with the PR3's. The set of PR2's I have on had that issue when new.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Fred, I have a PR2 front right now (PR3 front was not available when I bought the PR3 rear). I don't know whether the wandering/twitching is largely due to the PR2 front, or the general design of the PR series (I don't know how it will behave with a PR3 front).

Byron

STOC #
Sometimes, even if you don't readily see it, tires have different profiles that will require suspension changes. A rounder profile may require more preload in the rear to get them to turn in where a more pointed, sharper profile, will need preload removed to counter the over steer. Just something to remember.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Sometimes, even if you don't readily see it, tires have different profiles that will require suspension changes. A rounder profile may require more preload in the rear to get them to turn in where a more pointed, sharper profile, will need preload removed to counter the over steer. Just something to remember.
I tried all different preload settings. None made much of a difference at all.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Fred, I have a PR2 front right now (PR3 front was not available when I bought the PR3 rear). I don't know whether the wandering/twitching is largely due to the PR2 front, or the general design of the PR series (I don't know how it will behave with a PR3 front).
I'm hoping the PR3 front will change the feel. I know the center hard compound % is different on the PR3.

Bike
ST1300
I just installed a set of PR3's on my 09 ST replacing a set of ME880's and I have few observations. First, the PR3's are a lot quicker to transition from L/R and seem a bit quieter than the ME880's. During the first couple hundred miles the bike was extremely twitchy and it liked to wag it's tail running down the Tollway at 80mph. The slightest wind gust would have me moving and adjusting the bike. I'm somewhere north of 400 miles on the tires now and the bike has settled down. The twitchy feeling is gone and the bike is butter smooth running the highways around DFW. I am an aggressive rider and I get a knee down every now and then on the bike. The ST with the PR3's feel like my Buell CR now... wherever I will it to go either approaching, apexing or exiting the corners the bike just goes there. No fuss, No hassle, No effort.

I do have a question though, due to having a heavy handed wrist and the propensity to over pack for long trips all the while still putting a knee down in the twistys... what tire pressure would be ideal. I tend to blow through any tires I put on my ST within 5-6k miles and I would really like to get a little more life out of them.

Bike = 700lbs+
Rider= 270lbs w/riding gear
Gear = 100lbs + (camping)

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Michelin tire sidewall says 42 psi cold and so does Honda. I used to run lower pressures than that in the past but with a couple sets of PRs I stuck with 42 and increased my tire mileage about 50% over previous tire choices. Most of that is probably due to the tires but PR2s tend to wear lumpy and I was religious with 42 to try and keep the lumps at bay. I am running a PR3 rear now and it seems to be wearing about the same as a PR2 did (at 42).

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I do have a question though, due to having a heavy handed wrist and the propensity to over pack for long trips all the while still putting a knee down in the twistys... what tire pressure would be ideal. I tend to blow through any tires I put on my ST within 5-6k miles and I would really like to get a little more life out of them.

Bike = 700lbs+
Rider= 270lbs w/riding gear
Gear = 100lbs + (camping)
When I was running the PR2's I started running the rear at 45 PSI as this kept the cupping down.

I am on my second rear pr3. I just bought my second yesterday and I will continue to buy them. I can't post a pic from here but I picked up a 3.5 inch bolt in my rear tire that followed the thread into the side wall. I was not near civilization when this happened but after wrenching the bolt out the tire held for another hour to get me to safety. It was a shame because it was only 4 months and 6k old and was in good condition with the exception of the HOLE! I have had metzler 880 and pr2 and the oem tires these are better than all those for a really large person who enjoys the power it can deliver. I am running a pr2 on the front that is getting thin and will be replaced with pr3 for the winter and next summer. Here's hoping the fronts are as good as the rear.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Ordered my PR3's from Cycle Gear on Thursday Oct 27th. Website said 3-5 days. I call 3 days later, 4 days later, 5 days later looking for an update because their website order status says pending. Day 5 when I called i was told they were just ordered from their distributor on day 4. I cancel the order. Then call Motorcycle Superstore on thursday Nov 3 at noon and order PR3's. They have them in stock and they are 49.00 less and i should have them in two business days, so because i ordered them at noon I should expect then on Monday Nov 7th, but to my surprise and pleasure they were on my door step on friday. Off to Cycle Gear to get them mounted on Sunday. At least they will make a little bit of $$$ from me.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
What rating on the ST1300 are you ordering "V" or "W" for the PR3

Greg
I am unaware of any choice for Michelins sized to fit the ST1300. They are Z speed rated and come with load range 58 front and 72 rear. That is 120/70ZR18 and 170/60ZR17 anyway. Some owners run a 180 section rear and I recall there is a B spec 180 section rear PR2 - both carry a 73 load rating IIRC.

Bike
2007 ST1300
*Michelin Pilot Road 3 Front Tire Dual-compound sport touring tubeless radial

*Revolutionary X Sipe technology delivers all-weather performance without compromising tread life or handling

*2CT two compound technology in both front and rear tires

*Features a soft rubber compound on the tread shoulders and a wear-resistant compound down the middle; front tire features a wider soft-compound than the Pilot Road 2

*Made of environmentally sound 100% non-aromatic-oil rubber compounds

*V-rated for speeds up to 149 mph; (W)-rated for speeds of 168+ mph

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
*Michelin Pilot Road 3 Front Tire Dual-compound sport touring tubeless radial

*Revolutionary X Sipe technology delivers all-weather performance without compromising tread life or handling

*2CT two compound technology in both front and rear tires

*Features a soft rubber compound on the tread shoulders and a wear-resistant compound down the middle; front tire features a wider soft-compound than the Pilot Road 2

*Made of environmentally sound 100% non-aromatic-oil rubber compounds

*V-rated for speeds up to 149 mph; (W)-rated for speeds of 168+ mph
If you check the sizes available there is no such choice for ST1300-sized tires. They are just Z rated. Z ratings are to 149 mph.

Top Bottom