Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
The Michelin ad copy says this but the tires Michelin lists on the Michelin site to fit a ST1300 are Z rated for 149+ mph, as if it matters.

Is this the site you checked? Not doubting you, but I like to make sure I know.

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=pilotroad3

Z(ZR)=149 W=168 (W)=168+

Even though it has ZR on the tire they are still (W) rated. Why is this I don't know. But I will find out for sure. I will bend the ear of the next BIB guy I see for sure.

I like to stay educated on this. I will also check the PR3's I have in the shop to see what's printed on them.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Is this the site you checked? Not doubting you, but I like to make sure I know.

http://www.michelinmotorcycle.com/index.cfm?event=pilotroad3

Z(ZR)=149 W=168 (W)=168+

Even though it has ZR on the tire they are still (W) rated. Why is this I don't know. But I will find out for sure. I will bend the ear of the next BIB guy I see for sure.

I like to stay educated on this. I will also check the PR3's I have in the shop to see what's printed on them.
Yes, check with Bibedum the next time you see him but I think I learned something researching this. For metric motorcycle tires the speed rating used to be inserted after the section width and aspect ratio as in 160/70"Z"R-17. Before that the speed rating was the last character in the label as in 120/100-18 56"H".

A Z rating corresponded to a certification that the tire could operate at the max load and marked tire pressure at or above 149 mph for 10 to 60 minutes without coming apart. For the ultra high performance tires that are now commonplace German tire manufacturers began pushing for a DIN service label that moves the speed rating to the end of the characters again as in 170/60ZR-17 (72"W"). The Z remains in the label as a Speed Category marking but the W is the Speed Rating of 168 mph.

So yes, the Michelin PR3's and any tire with the letter W behind the load rating numbers are speed rated W to 168 mph. This would include the OEM Bridgestone BT 020s.

So .... my example tire's service label reads 170/60ZR-17 (72W) ......... The Z is supposed to remain as a quick reference for the buyer or installer that the tire is a high performance tire of at least 149 mph but it is the W rating that is definitive. I think it is confusing as even Bridgestone's website states the BT 020F tires are Speed Rating Z.

The PR3's on my bike have W at the end of the service label.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Yes you are correct. That is the way they show in my book 170/60ZR17 (W72) which means 168+. I will bend their ear for sure.

Top Bottom