Performance Updates for discounted Michelin Macadam Tires

AZlouie

R.I.P. - 2012/07/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300A (2006)
STOC #
Continuing saga: Michelin Macadam tires (see thread under "discounts").
I bought this tire from the MotoRace warehouse in Massachusetts. Fast and free delivery. It is now mounted on the 1100. A few other riders have also purchased this tire from an Ebay ad.
There were concerns that this tire (discontinued in 2008) might have some aging problems due to deterioration. I encourage members who have bought one of these discounted tires to post their experiences here. I will do the same. Many thanks.
So, that said...I now have about 15 miles on the tire...and it's great! It seems to have a very stiff sidewall; maybe in an emergency it s could be run flat for a short distance? It seems quieter than the worn Metzler it replaced; too soon to really tell anything else.

OP
OP
AZlouie

AZlouie

R.I.P. - 2012/07/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300A (2006)
STOC #
AZ Louie update: Great tire so far. No problems. Handles well, ride is good, seems to corner well. Will be doing some longer road trips in the desert this winter, so that will be a further test. Right now I am thinking I should have bought two.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
It may be because you have higher air and road temperatures in the continental USA, but over here the Macadam has an abysmal reputation..... not a lot of grip when dry and almost none at all when wet, never mind cold........

Mileage was always good though, given the average rider's desire for self preservation........

OP
OP
AZlouie

AZlouie

R.I.P. - 2012/07/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300A (2006)
STOC #
Another update: The Macadam is still going strong...even under some aggressive riding on secondary roads. I have an Activa on the front, which helps, I guess. If the Macadams don't do well on
Scottish Roads, it must be all that spilled Guinness! Makes the roads extra slippery. Yes, our road surface temperatures are probably a bit higher and ambient temps also generally higher. I run 46 lbs. in the rear (the Macadam) and 42 lbs. in the Activa. A bit more than Honda suggests, but it seems to work out just fine.

Top Bottom