Conti Road Attack 2

Bike
08 ST1300A
Looking to a try a new set of tyres. The Conti's seem to get mainly positive reviews across a wide range of bike forums. Has anyone given these a go since the last thread on this topic?

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
I have sold a few sets of these. They seem like they would be a great tire. Very different touchy feel from anything else on the market. They are suppose to be a real plug and play model. It has to do with the "Chili" compound that is on the outside of the new tire. They claim very little if no break in time.

I like to think though that the "break in time" is just getting back to the feel of new tires and how the handle. Old tires can handle a lot different than new ones. Maybe some will chime in that has a set of these.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
They look interesting and are even spec'd for the 1300 according to the Conti site.

I would like to know if anyone is running them also.

OP
OP
Down Under
Bike
08 ST1300A
I have sold a few sets of these. They seem like they would be a great tire. Very different touchy feel from anything else on the market. They are suppose to be a real plug and play model. It has to do with the "Chili" compound that is on the outside of the new tire. They claim very little if no break in time.

I like to think though that the "break in time" is just getting back to the feel of new tires and how the handle. Old tires can handle a lot different than new ones. Maybe some will chime in that has a set of these.
Thanks for the info! Besides their good handling characteristics, I've read that they give a pretty plush ride......just what I need for our :pie1::pie1::pie1::pie1: roads. I guess on the downside I wont be getting high mileage but that's the trade off. Might have to give them a go!

Thanks,

Tony

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I have a pair mounted on my Bandit, and am very pleased with them. As sticky as I can take advantage of, very linear handling, and the no-breakin claim seems to be true, although I didn't push them real hard.

OP
OP
Down Under
Bike
08 ST1300A
They look interesting and are even spec'd for the 1300 according to the Conti site.

I would like to know if anyone is running them also.
That's what got me interested. One of the most frustrating things I find about ST ownership is the lack of tyre choice due to either lack of approval by Honda/tyre manufacturer or both. There's some cracking good tyres out there at the moment for other heavy weight tourers but few are endorsed for our bike. :(

offsetcrank

howdy,

i have them, i like them.

have 3,500 miles on them(5632km), prob 1,500 or 2,000 miles left before replacement. (if i risk it)

sticky, handle great once broken in.

would i buy again.....i cannot say now. i need to see how they handle when 'worn'. both are 'squared' off.

had only one scare, temp was 55*F, tight corner, front chattered. trail-braking kept me within my lane of travel. less than 500 miles on tires.

buy 'em, try 'em. they are from a reputable manufacturer. i have been happy, and confident, leaning into turns.

i cannot tell you prices to expect, due to exchange rate. US Dollars, they were F $136, R $167, early in 2011

cranky

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
99 ST1100
I've got the Conti Raod Attack 2 on the front of my 1100. They don't offer the right size for the rear so that's an Avon Storm 2.

My feedback is not really very positive. While the tires do handle well they seem to be scalloping already and I've only got about 1,000 miles on them. When I turn in there is a noticeable "howl" from the front tire. (Always keep TP at 36 - 38 on the front and 42 - 44 on the rear.)

I doubt I'll buy them again...YMMV.

Still haven't found a tire I like better that the Metzeler Z6's but they don't last very long...

Sabre

Pr?t? Allez!
Bike
'04 ST1300
I was leaning toward the RA2s based upon some good reviews and stumbled upon some first-gen Road Attacks at a price that could not be refused. I like them for their absolutely neutral steering feel and great confidence at all lean angles, both wet and dry. Too soon to comment on mileage, but if the 2 version is an improvement on the original, they can only be outstanding.

Bike
99 ST1100
the tires do handle well they seem to be scalloping already and I've only got about 1,000 miles on them. When I turn in there is a noticeable "howl" from the front tire.
Gotta admit - another 1,000 miles in and there's been no increase in either the "scalloping" or the "howl" when cornering. Continue to handle very well...

For me, I guess, I'll just have to see how they hold up...

OP
OP
Down Under
Bike
08 ST1300A
Thanks for the feedback. I'm just about to use up the last of my BT 020's....I think it'll be a toss up between the Conti's and the BT 023. If the tyre manufacturer approved them for use on the ST1300 I would be buying a set of Pirelli Angel ST's without hesitation. I'm currently using them on my FJR and so far I'm really impressed!

Top Bottom