Stainless Steel Braided Rear Brake line

Bike
1998 ST1100
I am probably the only one who has a stainless steel braided rear brake line. :nuts1:
I spent about 3 hours last night removing the old line and another 30 minutes installing the new line. Honda must put the rear brake line in first before anything else on the assembly process because to really get to it you would have to pull the fuel tank, battery, and the metal guard below the battery. I managed to get it without doing all that, but it wasn't easy. The rear brake line has three hold downs on the left side and only one of them is easy to get to. I ended up leaving the 3rd one off my brake line and used a cable tie to hold it in place. Even had to remove the coolant reservoir to get the new line on the master cylinder. For the little amount of performance increase I will see from the rear brake; I wouldn't recommend this mod to anyone. The amount of work doesn't justify the end result.

Now I have to bleed the brake lines :D

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hello 'Bud,'

Many of us have R&R'd brake (and clutch) lines on our aging ST1100s to SS. There was a nice group buy a while back in fact (Galfer sets from Cal-Sportbikes). I got the complete set. Install pics here: http://rides.webshots.com/album/563221618wHTihQ
The rear brake line R&R is quite easy with just the fuel tank removed (minimum fuel in the tank and remember to disconnect the little red 2P on the left side of the tank!).

As to whether or not it's worth it to do the rear line, I guess it depends on how old and degraded your OEM line is. Doing the front brake lines would probably be the first on the list for anyone contemplating an R&R. There is a definite improvement in performance with an upgrade to SS lines up front.

Just my 2?.

John

OP
OP
tuvalox
Bike
1998 ST1100
Now you tell me. :) It looked more involved than just removing the fuel tank because of those three hold downs on the left side, but I can see that it does make a lot of room removing the fuel tank. I actually replaced all three on my ST. Clutch, front, and rear brake. I am happy with the way they came out. I managed to snake the rear brake line in place with removing the fuel tank. If you crawl under the bike you can look up and see the line is sitting where it should. I am a big fan of steel braided lines; most bikes I have owned have had them or I put them on. They always make a huge difference; especially on the older bikes.

-- After looking at you picks I am going to pull the fuel tank tonight and make sure the line is nicely ran and mounted just like yours. Thanks for posting!

On a 98 - it's mounted a little bit differently. The red arrow actually points to recessed bolt for the bracket on the left. Tank definitely has to come out

Attachments

craigstys

STOC #8621 Now on my 2nd ST1100
Bike
1999 ST1100X
STOC #
I encountered this exact same situation in the garage yesterday. I bought the three line Galfer brake line kit. Tears down to find almost full fuel tank needs to come out. Hose assembly in good shape, not worth the labor. Fronts went on only. Easy by comparison. Here is one for Obi John. Think I could get away with my new rear brake line as the clutch line? Hmmm...

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
.... Here is one for Obi John. Think I could get away with my new rear brake line as the clutch line? Hmmm...
Maybe, but IINM, the rear brake line is longer than the clutch's. Might be a problem dealing with the extra length, and maybe also with the bends in the eye fittings that the banjo bolts insert through. BTW, if the eye fittings don't line up axially, slip a tightly fitting rod, like a drill bit shank, into the eye and twist it to the desired orientation. BTDT

We could have done your whole install at the Pardeeville TechSTOC last weekend. We would have loved to have had another ST1100 to work on! Only ~100 miles from you...

Sorry my picture album died when Webshots dumped us all. Reconstructing it has been on the "to do" liST for ages. I can poST a particular shot if asked.

John

Last edited:

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've got my front and rear Galfer stainless lines still in the box. I really want to put them on, but I'm not confident enough that I'll be able to do it (back, hand and knee issues). :( Getting halfway done with the brakes would not be good! :eek:

Of course, I also have everything to do the oil change, the rear drive oil change, putting in the new O-rings and greasing the splines, etc. - haven't worked out how to do all that, either! :eek:

It sucks having the knowledge but not the physical ability any more, getting old is not for the young! :rolleyes:

Top Bottom