Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck in first gear

Bike
    2002 ST1300
    My Gallery

Stuck in first gear

Hi folks,

At the moment I am struggling with the gears a bit. Sometimes they are smooth and at other times feel pretty rough. My main concern is that when I stop in traffic and try to go from first to neutral I often can't and have to wait with the clutch held in. Not always but the problem seems to be getting more frequent. Any thoughts would be appreciated...before I end up with my left hand twice the size of my right

On the plus side i am really enjoying this bike. My usual 15 minute commute now takes about an hour

Bike
    ST-1200
    Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

Re: Stuck in first gear

There's linkage there that could need some lubrication. You folks in the UK have some pretty corrosive weather from some of the things I've seen posted. There is a boot/linkage connection behind the transmission on the right side, it may need to be lubricated. Also, remove the left side lower black cowl and make sure that part of the linkage looks good and lub any obvious weak spots.

Bike
    2004 1300
    My Gallery

+1 on Mellow. Mine seized at this very point, difficulty in getting gears as it wasnt returning freely. Also bleed/ replace your clutch fluid if you have not already done so especially if its not clear in the window, a yellow colour.

Bike
    '93 ST1100
    Tip Overs
    My Gallery

I had the same issue. Lubed the linkage and all was resolved.
    STOC# 6145
    IBA# 53268
    1993 ST1100 non-ABS
    2003 ST1300 ABS (RIP)
    Too many Farkles to list. Take a look at bike mods in my profile.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2002 ST1300
    My Gallery

Thanks for the good advice. This has improved things massively. Unfortunately I'm still having the one problem - sticking in first when i pull up at junctions. Any further ideas really appreciated

Tip Overs
    2017 Miles

My Gallery

It is a good practice to be in first gear when sitting at a traffic stop. If this is a chore perhaps 50 repetitions three times a day on a small rubber ball or purpose-made hand strengthener will take care of a stiff clutch hand.

Dave

Honda ST1300
    Honda NC700XD
    Honda CH80

Unterbrecher von Sachen BakerBoy's Avatar
    Bike
    2016 R1200RT
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Howard View Post
    Thanks for the good advice. This has improved things massively. Unfortunately I'm still having the one problem - sticking in first when i pull up at junctions. Any further ideas really appreciated
    So while sitting still, clutch lever pulled, it is hard to get to neutral from first? If so, try rolling to a stop in second gear and tapping it down to neutral once stopped. Is that just as hard? Is it any different between 1-to-neutral or 2-to-neutral if the bike is still rolling? I'm wondering if it may be that your clutch is dragging slightly (not fully disengaging)--if yes, a clutch fluid bleed would be the next thing to do.
    John - 2016 BMW R1200RT

"Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere,
    and sometimes in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself." ~Unknown

Bike
    ST1300A
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by BakerBoy View Post
    So while sitting still, clutch lever pulled, it is hard to get to neutral from first? If so, try rolling to a stop in second gear and tapping it down to neutral once stopped. Is that just as hard? Is it any different between 1-to-neutral or 2-to-neutral if the bike is still rolling? I'm wondering if it may be that your clutch is dragging slightly (not fully disengaging)--if yes, a clutch fluid bleed would be the next thing to do.
    If it's up on the centre stand, engine running, snick it into gear. Does the rear wheel start rotating? If you apply the rear brake, does the engine sound like it's taking on a load? If so, then I'd agree with BB - your clutch sounds like it's dragging. It's not fully disengaging.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2002 ST1300
    My Gallery

Thanks guys. I'll do the bleed at the weekend and let you know.

(Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2002 ST1300
    My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    It is a good practice to be in first gear when sitting at a traffic stop. If this is a chore perhaps 50 repetitions three times a day on a small rubber ball or purpose-made hand strengthener will take care of a stiff clutch hand.
    Interesting. I can see the logic about getting out of the way quickly if necessary but i was taught to always put it in neutral. That way if your hand slips for any reason, you won't lurch up the road. Horses for courses I suppose.

+ New Posts
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast