AVON - The love affair is over

Bike
2006 ST1300
That doesn't explain the bubble and broken belts. I didn't mention that in my other post, but did in my original post about it in another thread. The tire bubbled where the belts broke, resulting in a flat.

Jim

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Bike
2013 GL 1800
STOC #
After several years of using Avons I have gone back to Bridgestons 23's; used the earlier 021's before Avons. I was pleased with the Stones before the Avons and a plus is that they are less $$$$ than Avons. Just don't trust Avon anymore.

Sonny

I loved the Avon Storms but I've had real problems with the 3 Storm Ultras I've had on the rear, to the point I've finally given up on them and I'm currently trying the 023's.

For those that are interested, here's a blog of my latest catastrophe and there's a pdf at the bottom of a report after my first two incidents. Sorry about the Kiwi slang used but you'll get the picture.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/entry.php/2304-Thanks-Mr-Avon!...and-I-bid-thee-farewell-Adieu-…and-I-wave-with-a-Big-Finger!!

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Last week my Avon rear tire had a teeny part of the belt pop through the tire leaving me stranded on the freeway. Replacing it was $200 for the tire and $50 to mount! Combine that with the tow truck wait, shipping wait and the frustration on missing good riding weather... :(

STOC #
I am in the process of replacing my Storm II Ultras on my 1100. This current set has gone 22,000km, with the rear down to the wear bars. The front looks like it could go another 2,000km or so before it gets down to the wear bars. Overall, I am extremely happy with the performance of these tires and tread life is the highest I have ever had on a set of bike tires. My next set of Avons are on order and I am just waiting for the FedEx delivery.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Malks, there has been no issue with the Storm 2s on 1100s that I have heard, only the 1300.

STPaulK, while we are only hearing about the bad tires, we are hearing about a lot of them. And almost every failure has been caused by cords breaking (mine included).

Jim

This isn't supposed to happen on tyres with between 3,000 - 5,000 miles on them!

This damage was not caused by anything seen or felt to be entering the tyre, it was an internal collapse and it can be noted there is a patch of rust in the centre strands. Hard to believe that it deposited within 24hours of the tyre blowing.

It's no fun having a tyre go at 120+kph (75mph) and no fun being stranded on the side of the road.

All I can say is, "Piss off Mr Avon!!"

Attachments

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I'm another one that has given up on the Avons after several years. I believe I put 13 Avon Storms on my ST1100 in about 75,000 miles. I have run through 2 sets of STorm IIs on the Connie. And NEVER had a flat on any of them. Plenty of flats on other tires and bikes, but the Avons made it through uncontested. They feel good, they handle good, but the mileage is the deciding factor for me...

I put on a pair of PR3 just before my summer trip. And had a flat in the first 1200 miles:) The plug is over 6000 miles and holding fine...Looks like the PR3s are going to hold up fine and feel as good as the STorms. I already have more miles on the PR3s than I ever got out of any of the STorms, and I'm no where near the wear bars...

Bike
ST1100
I have not had my ST1100 long but I need to replace the tyres soon. This thread interested me as the Avon storm 2 is one of the tyres I know is popular on the 1100. I have had some experiance with Avon and a faulty tyre although it was on a Triumph rocket and to be fair was a different tyre. I was two up with light luggage and the rear tyre with only 200miles on it, blew apart at 90 mph. Here is a link http://www.r3owners.com/content.php?121-Avon-Cobra-Recall

Bike
2006 ST1300
Riding solo, I loved mine. As soon as the weight went up, you could watch the rubber burn off. I bet if I put a brand new Storm 2 on and left on a trip with my wife, the tire wouldn't last 1500 miles.

But keep in mind...we are also over the load rating...BUT...the Avon was the only tire we've ever had that problem with.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

STOC #
Malks, there has been no issue with the Storm 2s on 1100s that I have heard, only the 1300.

STPaulK, while we are only hearing about the bad tires, we are hearing about a lot of them. And almost every failure has been caused by cords breaking (mine included).

Jim
Jim - I was being facetious. I've no doubt that Avon has quality issues and won't touch them any longer myself.

Jim Allen

Barnsley Lad
Bike
2014 YAMAHA FJR 1300
When I had my 04 ST13 I had Avon storms then ultra storms,the last set had a twisted carcase on the front and shook from day 1, I rode all the way to Nova Scotia and then I got a flat in the rear, so I found a set of Michelin P.R 2s and that is the last time I used the storms. The Michelins worked excellent. I called Avon Tires to complain about that defective front tire, and they said we do not recommend the Avon Storm ultra 2 s for the ST1300. So why doesn't the dealers know this when they're selling them to you. I also had a flat tire with the PR2s rear tire with only 2k on the tire.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
Well I can only speak as I find I have run Avon storms 2 ultra on the Pan 1100 and now on the Pan 1300 I have done thousands of miles on both bikes with no trouble at all form the tyres and no shake at all, I now have a storm 3 on the front of the Pan 1300 my only comment about the storm 3 is the lack of tread from new (about 3mm) and maybe a water clearance issue I dont know yet ? but they say it will wear much better than the storm 2 we will see, oh and just for the record the last set of storms 2 and the latest storm 3 were fitted by my Honda dealer with no comment about weather they are right for the bike or not so I assume that they are, they would of course be libel if they are not and using them caused an accident.
Keith

Top Bottom