Video Link: Hankook CT on my ST1300

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Click the link below to see how the Hankook performs on my ST on a short ride. Not by any means comprehensive, but several people are interested to see what is going on back there.

A couple notable timeframes:

00:39 - 70mph slalom (all was 70mph except for sharp curves till I stopped to check the camera.

02:35 - Start of sharp curves, a 30mph right, a 20mph right then immediately into a left. Speeds were 45mph and 35mph.

02:56 - 25mph left at 45mph

Next, straights and a couple high speed curves.

07:10 - Start slowing for u-turn and stop to check camera.

Return trip was higher speed 85-90mph. Camera not as stable.

14:37 - Brakes applied hard for quick stop.

[video=youtube;wXjfSMtgQa0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXjfSMtgQa0[/video]

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Looks good to me.

My Austone London Taxi tar arrived today. Waiting for wheel parts from Big Mac to get'er all together on the 1100.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Nice video. It shows that the foot print is much bigger than originally thought. I have made the change to CT
and found it to be much better than I thought it was going to be in the corners. I had a friend follow me and he said he thought it seemed to have a good foot print until really deep into the corner. This video showed even in the corner he still had a fair footprint.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I think much of the concern comes because so much tire is lifting off the road in a corner. But that is unimportant...its not how much tire that is off the road that matters, but rather how much is still ON it that matters.

Jim

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I think much of the concern comes because so much tire is lifting off the road in a corner. But that is unimportant...its not how much tire that is off the road that matters, but rather how much is still ON it that matters.

Jim
:plus1:

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
STeve, everyone knows that running a CT on a motorcycle is impossible, dangerous, irresponsible.....rats, can't remember any more of the detracters' phraseology. (VBG)

Absolutely brilliant piece of video! One of the most interesting clips I have seen. Jim really nailed the real question regarding the issue of how much tire is on the road in corners. That's what matters and it looks to be a lot more than I imagined. Have you given any thought to having the tire reprofiled to increase the curve (as on motorcycle tires)?

It looks like the contact patch is similar to that of a curved bike tire but would be very interesting to see video of one in action to compare.

If you are through this area, I owe you lunch for providing the views. Nothing like putting the pudding out for proof!

This one has to be shared!

Norm

Interesting, a lot more rubber on the road through corners than I would have imagined. But the main benefit for most who would consder this is that contact patch in straight line riding, especially with a load such as towing. Nothing worse that wearing out a perfectly good tyre in the middle while not using any of whatever advantage it may have over a CT.

OP
OP
Diggers1300

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
After watching this video several times myself, I have noticed that there is just a slight curve to the tire maybe from centrifical force. I'm going to be headed to MNSTOC shortly. That will be two up and pulling the trailer. I think I'm going to leave the tire at the 40 psi that it is now and drop back to 38 when I go back to riding solo. Then video again and see what the differences are.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I hate having dial-up. :( loaded the first 5 min in about an hour...Looked good. Still on the fence if I'll get one. Probably won't be till next year anyway. Shinko Raven on rear now have rear Verge to go on next.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I think most of us will agree that we aren't trying to show that a CT corners AS WELL AS a MC tire...just that they CAN corner well. While the real benefit of a CT is longevity and straight line traction and wear while pounding the slab, while towing, 2-up, whatever...you don't end up losing cornering ability as so many often suggest.

I amazed myself the other day. I pushed the ST into a hard left corner, and surprised myself with a sudden grinding sound...yup, left peg was scraping. Yea, I know...its not a true sign of cornering ability...but without g-force meters or direct comparison of lap times, its about the only thing we have to measure cornering.

Jim

OP
OP
Diggers1300

Diggers1300

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
It may not be a measure of cornering ability but it is a measure of the tires stickyness and ability to hold in a hard corner.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Grinding pegs (If you don't have a peg lowering kit) works for me! That's what I wanted to hear!

STOC #
Is there a similar video of a rear motorcycle tire in action? Surely there is, I've done some searching and haven't found one yet. My point is, I suspect if people saw just how small the contact patch of a motorcycle's tire is when a bike is leaned over in a corner, they might no be so quick to dis the car tire.

Bike
2017 ST1300PA
2024 Miles
Love the CT! I have about 500 miles on my Hankook and it is performing great. I rode with two other ST-Owners on Saturday and at one point I was in the lead. After a ride through a twisty section of Hwy 62 in Indiana and then stopping to take a break the other two caught up with me. The comment that I got from one of them was, " I can't believe I'm trying to catch up to bike with a car tire!". It's amazing how stable this tire is not only on the flat straight sections but in the curves as well. The video that Diggers put up helped me to decide to go to the CT.

Harry

Bike
'07 ST1300
Tire lifts in the turns and the bike rides on the "corner" of the tire as expected, rather abruptly too. Emergency maneuvers and leaned over braking could be ... surprising ... also. If that video looks somehow good to you, well, let Darwin handle it.

Bill

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It is not so much the size of the CT patch it is the shape it takes and where it is in relation to a MC tire patch. Watching clips like these it's easy to see how a CT changes frame and steering geometry when progressively leaned off upright. It may not be much difference but it is there and only gets bigger at greater lean angles.

Bike
2017 ST1300PA
2024 Miles
If you are into rubbing your handlebars on the pavement then stick with the MC tire! I think for the majority of riders that get more miles on the center of a tire and some use out of the other parts of a MC tire then a CT is the way to go. Unless you have the bucks to spend and want to give away double or triple the cash for a MC tire per year. I am having to buy almost two sets of tires per year and that gets costly! For me the final proof was in actually riding my ST with the CT installed. After talking to friends with the same CT and their experience that helped also. Unless you have ridden a bike with a car tire on it you will never know. As the old saying goes, "Try it you'll like it"!

Harry

Top Bottom