Video Link: Hankook CT on my ST1300

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Tire lifts in the turns and the bike rides on the "corner" of the tire as expected, rather abruptly too. Emergency maneuvers and leaned over braking could be ... surprising ... also. If that video looks somehow good to you, well, let Darwin handle it.

Bill
Until you have ridden a bike with a CT I would respectfully suggest you hold you innuendo. There may APPEAR to be an abrupt transition, I agree. There is though, none to be felt. These are rubber tires, NOT solid steel.
NOTE:
All statements made by me are and will be based on real life experiences.:D
Mark

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I wonder if that is a benefit.

If the back is lifted in a lean that will give more clearance before stuff hits. Has anyone noticed that they were dragging pegs on a MC tire but not a CT?

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'm just the opposite...I didn't drag a peg yet with the mc tires, but have a few times now with the ct.

I have already saved money. I have more than 50% more miles on the ct than I was getting with mc tires, and lots of life left. This is rear tire #3 this year...I would be on #4 if I didn't go with a ct.

Jim

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I'm just the opposite...I didn't drag a peg yet with the mc tires, but have a few times now with the ct.

I have already saved money. I have more than 50% more miles on the ct than I was getting with mc tires, and lots of life left. This is rear tire #3 this year...I would be on #4 if I didn't go with a ct.

Jim

Hmm, interesting. I think it was a post that you made that stated that you have used more of the tread surface of your front tire with a CT than a MC tire. I would imagine that being on the edge would lift the rear a little giving more clearance. Which could explain the expanded front tire use.

I am thinking about changing my peg feelers to ones made from titanium. Though that would likely piss off anyone that is behind me. I was doing some pretty serious peg dragging this weekend while hanging off the side of the bike.

Bike
'07 ST1300
Until you have ridden a bike with a CT I would respectfully suggest you hold you innuendo. There may APPEAR to be an abrupt transition, I agree. There is though, none to be felt. These are rubber tires, NOT solid steel.
NOTE:
All statements made by me are and will be based on real life experiences.:D
Mark
Apologies, I stand corrected. Tire profile makes absolutely no difference in handling per your life experience. Carry on.;)

Bill

Bike
2006 ST1300
Bill- he didn't say profile makes NO difference, just that he doesn't FEEL the difference in a corner. I'll admit before trying mine I was skeptical as well, and thought it would be like trying to lean a steamroller, but found I don't feel the ct at all unless its very low speed uneven pavement.

Try someone's sometime, it might surprise you...I was.

Jim

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Yep, Jim has it. And I apologize for nailing you that way. It was a bad morning for me I guess. I couldn't keep myself from getting into it with Landon too . I'm not usually one to get so torqued out over stuff. I guess I am so amazed at how well this CT thing is working that I couldn't help but get on the soap box.
Bottom line is we as humans will hold our opinions till we find reason to change them. If ever you are offered a ride on a CT shod bike, take it. You may be very surprised, I was.
Mark

Bike
'07 ST1300
So there is a difference that you can feel at low speeds and, perhaps, during an emergency. I choose common sense over the "If I don't feel it then it doesn't exist" option. It may ride good, it may feel good and it may kill you when you least expect it. (But that's motorcycling in a nutshell, isn't it?) You can cheat on ATGATT, tires and maintenance and get away with it -but why chance it for a few $ if you don't absolutely have to? What if you're wrong and someone dies because of your advise? When you watch that video is your brain hiding in your wallet? It's obvious there are much better options for a safer tire, personal riding impressions aside. There, I'm off my soap box.

Bill

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
If you don't agree with this farkle - and that's all it is, another 'thing' to put on your bike - which might be a tire, gps, radar detector, etc... then please ignore this section of the site.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I have also posted this on another darkside thread but thought it was fitting for this one also!.
Here you can see the tire footprint and see the flex of the tire while in a corner.

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST1300
It looks like about 1/3 of that tire is contacting the ground...and 1/3 of that tire is a substantial amount. I had a chance to watch mine while my wife tried it on the road. Nothing extreme, just going the speed limit on long, sweeping curves. It looked about as I had previously thought, during normal road speeds about 2/3 of the tire stayed in contact with the ground. Only about 1/3 of the outside lifted; the tire deformed enough so that 2/3 of the rubber stayed on the ground. The tire does indeed flex and keeps good contact.

Jim

Make sure you lube your splines at regualr intervals as if with a M/C tire.

Some Valkyrie riders haven't and it's not pretty.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Anybody in central CA, say Fresno to Stockton areas, with a tire changer that would be willing to help me with the swapover? I have a Hankook but nobody in Merced will touch it, at least not that I've found.

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
railroadrider, fortunet1 is having a tech event at his place in Gilroy on the 21st of this month. Khris will be bringing his NoMar tire changer and they'll be plenty of helping hands around. Look under the events section for the details.

Mike:03biker:

Bike
2005 ST1300
No, I didn't but one guy asked me if that is what it was for and I maybe made a mistake and answered honestly. I HATE having to lie.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Anybody in central CA, say Fresno to Stockton areas, with a tire changer that would be willing to help me with the swapover? I have a Hankook but nobody in Merced will touch it, at least not that I've found.
I have a tire changer and would be willing to help you. Let me know if I can help!

Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
It looks like the contact patch is similar to that of a curved bike tire but would be very interesting to see video of one in action to compare.

Norm
+1 and ditto. I'm due for a front and rear tire change next year. I've been putting some thought into going over to the dark side and this video pushed me closer to the edge. Thank you for sharing!

Bike
ex-ST'r
STOC #
Nice video... now mount a MC and do it again to show how much more (or less) tire is in contact on those corners. I am not a CT advocate... but then I'd also not mount a V8 in a MC chassis; but I hear it is done and is a real rush to ride hard (once).

To those that do mount a CT, I have seen the results of at least ONE accident due to a CT-rider-bike combination reacting poorly in a corner. Rider was hospitalized, bike pretty crumbled - a Hobbly-Wobblesum, no one died. It was an event of a large bunch of mixed bikes headed from Castle Rock to St. Helens, Hwy 504 - happened just east of where 505 joins 504. Thankfully he wasn't inside a group of bikes when the tire let go on a wide but quick right then left hander. Witnesses behind him described it as a typical low side. I'm confident the insurance will point to the tire. But in reality it was likely rider error in trying to keep up with the other bikes through the corners.

Top Bottom