Metzler 880, which size and designation fits the 1300 rear?

Bike
2003 ST1300
Looking to buy a 880, but Metzler's designations seem to indicate a lower top speed. What fits the 1300 rear, and can hold speed and cornering?

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
According to the Metzler catalog, the 170/60R-17 tire is rated 78V which is good for 149MPH. Not exactly sure what you are looking for here.

IMHO, this is one tire that I will never put on my bike (and I have tried four different types so far) simply because it uses too hard a compound in order to get great tire life which compromises handling of your bike. I know of one rider on this forum who went down riding an 880 on the rear and likely would not if he was using a different tire.

OP
OP
STreaker
Bike
2003 ST1300
According to the Metzler catalog, the 170/60R-17 tire is rated 78V which is good for 149MPH. Not exactly sure what you are looking for here.

IMHO, this is one tire that I will never put on my bike (and I have tried four different types so far) simply because it uses too hard a compound in order to get great tire life which compromises handling of your bike. I know of one rider on this forum who went down riding an 880 on the rear and likely would not if he was using a different tire.
I also read very good review on the Bridgestone 020, handling and durability. I went to my local Honda dealer and asked about the 020. They had a brand new set they just took off a State Patrol bike to switch to another set. With zero miles on them, but technically used, I bought the front and rear set for $190. Good deal for all.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I also read very good review on the Bridgestone 020, handling and durability. I went to my local Honda dealer and asked about the 020. They had a brand new set they just took off a State Patrol bike to switch to another set. With zero miles on them, but technically used, I bought the front and rear set for $190. Good deal for all.
Good deal indeed. I've run a couple of sets of 020s and have been satisfied with them. They might not last as long as some brands but still are a good value...

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I like the Metzler Z6 Interact tire that I am running on the front. I have never tried the rear but if it handles anything like the front it will be great. I have over 4000 miles on the front Z6 tire now and love the way it sticks to the road and is wearing very good. This tire is a big improvement over the PR2 that it replaced.

I have never tried the 880 marathon tire but have talked to several who have had it on and they did not like the hard rubber compound on it. Good luck on finding the tire that will work for you;

OP
OP
STreaker
Bike
2003 ST1300
This Hankook tire will fit nice on the ST 1300 The last picture shows the tire with over 10,000 hard miles on it.
With great respect, I would not buy them as their only downside is slow turning. I've ridden a lot of mountain roads where a slow turn puts you in a 2,000 foot freefall. And with some arthritis in my wrists, I don't need even more effort. I do envy the mileage.
STreaker

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
You may want to try the rear Metzler Z6 Interact if it is anything like the front tire it will work great. Best of luck.

Mike

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
:plus1: I used an ME880 rear, and long story short, almost crashed coming into an easy corner on a wet road, at very conservative speed, under engine braking only. The rear end started coming around. And it drifts in corners even when the roads are dry. It isn't made for cornering nor adverse road conditions. But the Z6 front was very nice, both with traction and longevity!

Bike
GL1800 - Goldwing
The OP is asking about Metzeler, why do you dorks keep talking about Bridgestone?

My experience with Metzeler is great. Running Z6 on front and ME880 on back. The ME880 is not a Z rated tire and it doesn't need to be for the ST. I don't plan on cruising at 130 MPH. I've used Dunlops and Bridgestone, but Metzeler is the best setup I've had for performance, handling and longevity. I'm on my fourth set now.

Bike
04 ST1300 ABS
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Put a 880 on yesterday... P3's I love were not available in Kennewick... tire is slower to turn into the corner but not... dangerous at all

Top Bottom