Votes: 39 38.6%
  • No

Votes: 62 61.4%

• Total voters
Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
+1 Usually thats a revision number.
Just a guess the site shows both to allow you to buy the original item until depleted, some sites will show a g01 part number and notify you that it has been replaced with a g02 part number when you actually order it.

The G02 oem brake pad is the same as the G01 version with an additional pc of paper in the shrink wrap.

Note there would be a different part number for the 08 and up fiche for the SMC.

Partial Honda decoder ring
http://stwiki.notonthe.net/twiki/bin/view/General/HondaPartNumbers

Bike
2006 Honda ST1300A
Reviving this old thread as I decided to replace my SMC. Bike has 46k on it and it was my fathers before me, he kept meticulous records but nothing mentioned the SMC and as I had the forks off (sonic springs upgrade and seals/fluid replacement, I took the caliper off just to see. It was corroded beyond belief...looking like others here in the post, and frozen in the cylinder. Ended up drilling it and as I drilled, it sunk to the bottom....luckily there was enough bite on the drill to get a screw in there and slowly rotate it and pull it up. Took upwards of an hour working on it, but when it popped out, the cylinder was in great shape. Cleaned it up and soaked the new parts in brake fluid and it slipped right in and moved easily. So relieved, I couldn't have done it without reading all of your previous replies. Now I'm putting the bike together and about to tackle the dreaded brake bleed.
Thank you guys again.

Last edited:
Bike
08 VFR800, 17 CB1100
So I've got a decision to make.....
Looks like this thread was originally started back in 2011 and the latest post is a few days ago 2015. So obviously Honda still has not recognized this as an engineering fault and taken steps to correct; leaving it up the consumer to sort out what they (Honda) should be doing. OK. To be honest up until now it's been a bit of a non-issue, as I reside outside the Gates of Hell, AZ and moisture in the air, let alone any that might accumlate inside the SMC is a not a problem. Especially as my girl resides in the garage when not out on the roads. However, a move to the Great NW for retirement is emminent and airborne moisture is most definately going to be an issue.
Therefore, if the old Black Magic is retained and makes the transition N I'll have no choice but to go the SMC replacement route. However, if I let her remain here with a new owner..... well hello new love of my life.
Please Honda get your finger out and present us with the new ST we've all (well a goodly number anyway) have been craving. Otherwise it time to start looking at Brand X, Y, Z, etc.

Bike
2010 ST1300
moisture in the air, let alone any that might accumlate inside the SMC is a not a problem. However, a move to the Great NW for retirement is emminent and airborne moisture is most definately going to be an issue.
Therefore, if the old Black Magic is retained and makes the transition N I'll have no choice but to go the SMC replacement route. However, if I let her remain here with a new owner..... well hello new love of my life.
Please Honda get your finger out and present us with the new ST we've all (well a goodly number anyway) have been craving. Otherwise it time to start looking at Brand X, Y, Z, etc.
Most caliper problems are caused by brake fluid absorbing moisture from the air (brake juice is hydroscopic - it absorbes mosture), and the owner's not replacing the fluid often enough. Water in the brake fluid will corrode the aluminum caliper body (the bore the brake piston slides in) and jam the piston or damage the seals.

So, once you fix this, remember to bleed your brake system every two years (complete fluid replacement). Don't forget to bleed your clutch, too.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
2 years ago my SMC froze. The pivot bearing had delaminated and locked up the SMC. Additionally, the shop had not been flushing the PCV, when I flushed it brake fluid came out. The shop was not maintaining my breaks correctly. It all cleaned up and has worked correctly since with annual brake flush, pivot bearing lube, and brake grease packing of boot.

This SMC issue is really about the rubber boot covering the piston. It doesn't do the job of keeping water out of the top piston area. The resulting build up of corrosion causes the piston to stick.
The manual calls for the boot to be packed with brake grease. This will help against water seepage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom