PR3s

Bike
BMW K12LT
Just purchased a '10 ST13 and it has BT020s on it. Don't like them, so purchased a set of PR3s.

Read the thread about the failure on the rear, but curious about other pros and cons from riders that have already installed them. Currently have Storms on another bike and was wondering how the PR3s will compare.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Allan

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I haven't tried the PR3 front yet but running the PR2/PR3 is a fine combination. I've also used the Storms in the past. I think the storms are a bit quicker handling and the wear is similar to Michelins in my experience. Two things I don't like about the storms is that Avon does not recommend them for use on the ST13 and they do seem to be more lightly built that the Michelins. Secondly, the Avons seem very easily punctured, I've yet to wear one out without having to plug it somewhere along the way.

With respect to that one reported failure, there are too many unknowns to draw any conclusions. Unlike the problem with the Dumbflop RoadStupids, there have not been a rash of reports of PR3 issues.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I haven't tried the PR3 front yet but running the PR2/PR3 is a fine combination. I've also used the Storms in the past. I think the storms are a bit quicker handling and the wear is similar to Michelins in my experience. Two things I don't like about the storms is that Avon does not recommend them for use on the ST13 and they do seem to be more lightly built that the Michelins. Secondly, the Avons seem very easily punctured, I've yet to wear one out without having to plug it somewhere along the way.

With respect to that one reported failure, there are too many unknowns to draw any conclusions. Unlike the problem with the Dumbflop RoadStupids, there have not been a rash of reports of PR3 issues.
I am also running the same combo as Jeff, however, on the other hand, I am not sure if I will stay with the PR3 rear. At just over 6k miles I am getting cupping on the sides and squaring off. Not sure if I have 2k more miles left on the tread or not. Doesn't seem like I am going to get the milage out of this tire as I did my old Avon Storm IIs.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I loved the Storms, especially in the rain, but put PR2's on a couple thousand miles ago and am quite happy. For the difference in price, I decided to stay with the PR2's instead of the untested 3's. They may be a great tire, but I'll wait.

Top Bottom