Shorai Lithium Battery Install

Bike
'09 Wee DL650
STOC #
Needing a new battery in the '07 ST, I decided to try a Shorai Lithium battery. Reading the earlier threads was very informative and alerted me about some of the risks and concerns. Installing the battery is really quite straightforward but thought I'd throw in some pics to show the size/fit difference. One concern was the added foam padding needed to "fit" the Shorai and the concern about heat. You will see from the photos that I cut the pads to space the battery for proper fit and allow air to circulate in the battery enclosure. Nothing hi-tech here..... The battery installed was the LFX18A1-BS12 purchased from Superbike Supply in Union Mills, NC. $169, free over night shipping.

At no load the battery voltage is about 13.4 volts. After starting the bike, the voltage increased to about 14.2 volts over a 2-3 minute period with the bike idling. I'll let you know if I experience any anomalies.

.....for what it's worth.......

Attachments

STOC #
I installed a Shorai this past January - link , what can I say, the only time I think of it is when someone else brings up the subject. Because of the bike's key-off battery drain, and my sporadic riding, I keep it plugged into my Battery Tender - same as I did with the lead-acid battery the Shorai replaced....

Clever way to use the spacers! I wasn't that creative, and pretty well just cut the sheets to size.

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
Got 5k on mine and all is good. Really turns over fast. Set for a week with no issues.

Bike
04 ST1300
Bought my 04, more than a year. We live apart and meet only 2 weeks in every month, and in this 2 weeks i ride it only 2-3 times mostly city. The battery is stock, but never experience any failure to start, just recently the starting power decreased slightly, that is for only first start after the 2 weeks, after that normal starting power. Battery tender is strange tech in my woods becouse power supply is less than 20% and epileptic at that. I guess my hot tropical location have something to do with it.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Keep us updated, I am very interested in this battery.
Me too, the hobby shop conned me into a new charger when I upgraded batteries in my R/C toys. I take it there's no special charge requirements? (I'm battery ignorant)

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
I take it there's no special charge requirements?
From their website:
Q. Can I use Lead-Acid battery chargers or charger/tenders?

A.Yes. HOWEVER, you may NOT use a charger/tender if it has an automatic "desulfation mode", which cannot be turned off. We have confirmed with Deltran, makers of the "Battery Tender" brand, that their products do NOT have a desulfation mode, and are therefore OK for use with Shorai LFX, for example. But the best possible charger/tender for Shorai LFX is the SHO-BMS01, which will be released on about March 15th 2011, we expect. It uses the 5-pin BMS port in the LFX batteries, in order to monitor, diagnose, and balance the individual cells during charge. And it also has an optimized storage mode that will give the longest possible service life to your LFX.

If you are storing your vehicle and want to check the remaining capacity, or you're a racer with a constant-loss system, you'll want to know how resting voltage (i.e. with no load or load under 200mA) maps to remaining capacity. LFX batteries should be maintained such that 20% capacity remains at minimum, as best practice. Use a good-quality voltmeter to check remaining capacity, and consider recharge whenever the battery capacity falls to about 50% remaining. Of course, if you get the Shorai dedicated BMS01 charger, you can just hit the "Store Mode" button and leave it to do the work for you.

Attachments

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Not as ignorant now, thanks.

From their website:
Q. Can I use Lead-Acid battery chargers or charger/tenders?

A.Yes. HOWEVER, you may NOT use a charger/tender if it has an automatic "desulfation mode", which cannot be turned off. We have confirmed with Deltran, makers of the "Battery Tender" brand, that their products do NOT have a desulfation mode, and are therefore OK for use with Shorai LFX, for example. But the best possible charger/tender for Shorai LFX is the SHO-BMS01, which will be released on about March 15th 2011, we expect. It uses the 5-pin BMS port in the LFX batteries, in order to monitor, diagnose, and balance the individual cells during charge. And it also has an optimized storage mode that will give the longest possible service life to your LFX.

If you are storing your vehicle and want to check the remaining capacity, or you're a racer with a constant-loss system, you'll want to know how resting voltage (i.e. with no load or load under 200mA) maps to remaining capacity. LFX batteries should be maintained such that 20% capacity remains at minimum, as best practice. Use a good-quality voltmeter to check remaining capacity, and consider recharge whenever the battery capacity falls to about 50% remaining. Of course, if you get the Shorai dedicated BMS01 charger, you can just hit the "Store Mode" button and leave it to do the work for you.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
From what I read on other forums, you now want the Gen2 Shorai with the improved plate spacings, etc. IMHO I think it would be prudent to get the Shorai charger as it plugs into a port on the side of the battery and alledgedly keeps each cell balanced. Regarding the charge state chart, those percentages/voltages are higher than lead-acid types, meaning you should monitor it to understand how fast it discharges while installed and sitting. I contacted Shorai about discharging below 50%, and they agree it is similar to lead-acid.... if allowed to discharge below 50% you will lose some capacity. So, same old story with all batteries, don't let it get that far.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
I have talked to my parts rep about these batteries. The biggest thing he pushed for was the weight savings. I have yet to hold one in my hands. I may list these on the website soon. I was not crazy about having to put spacers or foam around them. I will do some more research on them and let you guys know.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I wonder if there is enough space to install two of the smaller case ones in parallel, and if so if that provides more amps?

Bike
st1300pa (work)
Hey Bertrand,
Didja check out some of my previous posts??? I have some of my pictures of the two battery install on my ST1300P (police motorcycle). They were able to hide it behind the tail light...lotsa room...

OP
OP
Ol Hoot
Bike
'09 Wee DL650
STOC #
I've had the Shorai installed now for about four months and only 400 miles (sad to say). Actually the low miles may be an interesting test. The bike has been driven on short trips (~100 miles) and sits for weeks without being ridden. I do not use an external battery tender. I've been checking the battery voltage before each ride and have never found it below 13.3v. I have not tried the test discussed in another thread. The bike always starts quickly and no problems have been noted to date. Obviously, time and miles will tell. I do store the bike in an enclosed shop so it does not experience starting below 40 degrees. Sorry I don't have much definitive new information but that's the story so far. I'll post more information later this spring.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've had the Shorai installed now for about four months and only 400 miles (sad to say). Actually the low miles may be an interesting test. The bike has been driven on short trips (~100 miles) and sits for weeks without being ridden. I do not use an external battery tender. I've been checking the battery voltage before each ride and have never found it below 13.3v. I have not tried the test discussed in another thread. The bike always starts quickly and no problems have been noted to date. Obviously, time and miles will tell. I do store the bike in an enclosed shop so it does not experience starting below 40 degrees. Sorry I don't have much definitive new information but that's the story so far. I'll post more information later this spring.
Well, I have had mine in for a week now and have about 600 miles on it, so I guess I can be the Well Abused ginnypig to see how well it holds out being used almost everyday. My last battery (Yuasa) lasted 25 months (67K), I'm hoping this one will last longer timewise! :D

Top Bottom