Shorai Lithium Battery Install

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
What about the smaller case size ones? Of course if their additive capacity isn't as good as the larger one, no benefit in bothering.
That I can't say....you'll need to get the dimensions from both and compare... I think just having the bigger one should be all that you would need. ... hopefully!

Bike
2010 ST1300
How many cranking amps are recommended for STarting? I almost upgraded to a lithium with 170 ca but went with the service free with 225. The battery terminals on the lithium would also require modifying the battery cable lugs. Batteries Plus doesn't show the lithiums on the website for some reason.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Well, I have had mine in for a week now and have about 600 miles on it, so I guess I can be the Well Abused ginnypig to see how well it holds out being used almost everyday. My last battery (Yuasa) lasted 25 months (67K), I'm hoping this one will last longer timewise! :D
Update, It's five years later and my Shoria is still going strong. I have floated it around my bikes, so I can't say how many miles I've put on it, but at one time I had left it on my 2004 #1, when it first went into the shed and sat for quite a while. The battery went completely dead and I was able to revive it with the Shoria Lithium Battery charger and I have had it in my 2010 since, which is my daily commuter. The 2010 has sat a couple of times due to tire issues, but it still starts right up!

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
How many cranking amps are recommended for STarting? I almost upgraded to a lithium with 170 ca but went with the service free with 225. The battery terminals on the lithium would also require modifying the battery cable lugs. Batteries Plus doesn't show the lithiums on the website for some reason.
Get the most CCAs you can find that fit in that little battery box. Here is what I am using and have been very happy with it for the past 9-10 months:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DCXIJJG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Anybody using Li-ion batteries in their cars or trucks? I don't think the weight savings of these batteries is at all significant to the ST except for maybe handling it during installation or replacement.

The 40lbs? of a lead-acid (orAGM?) in the nose of a car could be a different story completely.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Anybody using Li-ion batteries in their cars or trucks? I don't think the weight savings of these batteries is at all significant to the ST except for maybe handling it during installation or replacement.

The 40lbs? of a lead-acid (orAGM?) in the nose of a car could be a different story completely.
Have you seen my drop count? Every little bit helps :D

TMUS

MSF Instructor 32 years
Bike
2006 ST1300a(Marvin)
STOC #
Got 5k on mine and all is good. Really turns over fast. Set for a week with no issues.
Update

After 6 years and 72,500 miles the Shorai gave out when trying to start this spring. Pulled a relay and put back wrong, would not start. Lasted about 5 min of on and off attempts then drop lock a rock off a cliff to nothing. By that time it was dead to the world. Had it on a Battery tender all winter too. Ordered new Shorai yesterday with the correct charger to see if that helps the new make it last longer.

Last edited:

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
Update

After 6 years and 72,500 miles the Shorai gave out when trying to start this spring. Pulled a relay and put back wrong, would not start. Lasted about 5 min of on and off attempts then drop lock a rock off a cliff to nothing. By that time it was dead to the world. Had it on a Battery tender all winter too. Ordered new Shorai yesterday with the correct charger to see if that helps the new make it last longer.
Just curious about Li-ION in general ... In a traditional battery if you are stuck in the middle of butt no where you can boost it and go ... with this are you now totally stuck ? or is it "boostable" ?

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Update

That's one thing I picked up for my Shorai, was their battery charger. I honestly think, that's what brought mine back from the dead (three years old and I left it sitting on the 04#1 for a good year). I had to charge it twice to get it back, but it worked and has worked since. At least two years now.

Bike
2007 ST1300 "Silby"
STOC #
checked around, best price I found on this battery (Shoria LFX18A1-BS12 ) is $150 from Amazon plus $73 if you want the charger!

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That one I had finally gave up, but it was probably my fault since I didn't leave it in a bike that was always running. I have another one, but it's on my shelve right now. I'm actually running a couple of "cheap" eBay batteries on a couple of my bikes. When one of them die, I'll re-install the Shoria.

Top Bottom