Tire Mileage Report - Michelin PR2 - front

SilverSTreak

Bill Royal
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Just an information point for all of you 1300 owners who care to examine and track your tires...

I just replaced my front tire, a Michelin PR2 that I put on at 10,179 to replace the original tire that came on the bike new (It was worn out, but I replaced it due to age and I wanted to try a Pair of new Michelin PR2's).

The rear of that set, I replaced at 23347 yielding 13168 out of it. It was at the wear bars, but certainly not beyond, and I was generally pleased with the wear, traction, handling and all aspects of that tire so I put another one on.

I am reporting now about the FRONT I put on with the new pair. I just today replaced it at 31907, for a run of 21728. I had hoped it would last until my 2nd rear but it was at the wear bars and I just didn't want to push it.

Here's photos of the tire before I changed it:

IMG_1244_resize.JPG IMG_1245_resize.JPG

As you can see, the wear bars are showing in both the center and sides but you can also see that the center has a "ridge" that is squared off, but clearly the side compound has worn more than the center - something that is quite unusual for me who lives in Florida. I did do a fair amount (over 10,000 miles) out of state on this set, but it seems to me that the side compound may be just a little too soft to get even wear. Whatever the case, I'm still pretty happy with the overall performance and have replaced this front with another PR2, and have a rear waiting which I expect to replace in another 2 to 4 K or so...

One item of note - in all my previous experience (mostly with Exedras on my 1100) once you got to the wear bars showing the remaining tread would go "very fast" - ie: if you tried to push for another 1K you'd likely be running on cords (not that I ever did that but I did note the tread disappearing much faster once at the bars). With this PR2, what you see is the tire with a little more than 2K AFTER the wear bars first showed! Despite that, it still has tread in the center. I'm certainly impressed.

Oh yeah, one other thing - I haven't been able to find the traditional "balancing dot" on these Michelins, so I just put 'em on and then check the balance. Every one of them, I have put on without changing any of the existing weights and every single time they appear to be DEAD ON for balance. Sweet.

I had considered the PR3's but given what I've read about issues, I decided to stick with the PR2's for now.

Happy Riding!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Thanks Bill, that's great mileage.

The PR2s don't have a balancing dot. The PR2 are my current preferred tire of choice.

Bike
2004 ST1300/XR650L
STOC #
Thanks for the report. I currently have about 9k on my first set of PR2's with a good amount of tread left. I plan on replacing them with the same when needed.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have gone through a number sets of PR2s, one set about every three to four months. I'm usually getting about 11 to 12K out of them and my wear pattern is close to what you see in your pictures, mainly wear down the middle! (Since 98% of my riding is the freeways, I expect it). Although the fronts are never the ones showing the most wear, I have been replacing them as a set each time.

I just ordered my next set yesterday. I'll be due in about two months, but I always like to have them sitting in my garage when I need them.

I pulled my last set after 7K, since I wanted a fresh set to ride through the Nevada desert on. The set I put on are the ones sitting on my bike right now and are holding up as expected. I love the PR2s and plan to stick to them, at least until I start hearing better reports about the PR3s!

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Thanks for the info. I'm due for a set of tires - I'll be giving the PR2 a whirl next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

v8-7

Site Supporter
Thanks Bill,

I just put a pr2 on the rear to replace a Roadsmart that only lasted about 8100 miles ( the cords were showing).

If I don't get significantly more miles out of this tire, I may go to the darkside .

Let me know if you need an extra pair of hands to swap out your front when the time comes .

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Wow that is some great mileage out of those tires. You must be very easy on the throttle and brakes to get that kind of miles. I have not had that many miles on any tire yet.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Thanks for the information. I need tires and it is between Bridgestone and Michelins.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the info, Bill. I have been contemplating the PR3... have PR2 now and will likely stick with them.

lddave

been there
STOC #
Thanks for the report .I have a PR2 on the front of my C1400 with 10,000 miles on it . Am going on a 2500 mile weekend trip in a few weeks and am deciding if I need a new one for the trip .

Dave Bankhead

Bike
2006 ST1300
I think the PR2 I installed on the front a few weeks ago just isn't handling our rough northern roads, corners, and general abuse. Doing the exact same riding, my last front tire, a Storm 2, lasted almost 12k miles. With our terrain, I thought that was pretty good, especially since the rear Storm 2 only got under 6k miles. Well I had high hopes of the PR2, but at 5k miles, its just touching the wear bars on the left of the front tire, and very close to them on the right. Even the center tread is getting a bit low. If I'm careful I might have another 1k miles or so left...about a week of my riding. On the good side, it wore more evenly than my last two front tires.

I just ordered a new Z6, guess I'm still experimenting.

Jim

Bike
ST1300 '08
11k on the rear PR2. it is scalloped, yes, but tons of tread left. and while the scalloping looks troubling, I can't tell any problems with how it rides, not yet anyway. I'm going to let it wear some more before I fork over for another one.

FWIW, it lost its balancing weight early... wondering if that contributes to the wacky wear pattern, or is that just normal?

anyway, this tire got me through a wicked bad rain-storm on my big summer trip, heavy winds, trucks pulling over (I had nowhere to hide..kept going). tough conditions, tires were great

Bike
'13 Yamaha ST
I just changed my third set of PR2's. By far they lasted the most at almost 13K. The rear looked like it had another 1K or so, but the front had a bald strip on the right side due to certain curve on the way home. I use the bike for commuting and the occasional weekend jaunt.

It is amazing the difference with the new tires. Frisky.

-Mark

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
A bit over 11,00 on my PR2's. The front is going first. I feel I have between 500 and 1000 to the front wear bars. I just ordered a set of PR3's. A friend has them on his RT and swears by them. We'll see.

Tom

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
For our trip west the last 2 weeks, I recently put my first set of PR2's on my 1300 after running Dunlops for the past 6 years. I'm liking these tires. After 5000 miles of highway and mountains, they show slight wear and even wear and are great in the rain. Anyone that went to the Shuey Inn lunch on 9/3 knows what we rode through. Out of all of the tires I have installed on my bike, the PR2's are the easiest to mount and balance by a significant margin.

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Mark I am real happy with the one we put on my rear. I will stick with them.
That's good. I've got the new set sitting in the garage...will get them installed in the next couple of days. I'll then have my sights set on doing a good scrub-in to take advantage of this cool weather! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to hijack the thread, but for those of you with lots of expirience with the PR2s. How quiet are they? I have about 3000 miles on mine, and I while they are very quiet in the verticle, if I lean to either side any amount and I get a whine/humm. Is this normal? I've noticed it on very smooth quiet roads. The only time I hear the noise is when I lean the bike.

Top Bottom