Question regarding ABS modulator

Bike
ST1100AW
Does any one know if the crank angle sensor is available separately for the rear Modulator,
Mine has corroded and the track of the potentiometer has disappeared,
I dont want to pay ?1300 for a replacement modulator from honda,
ABS models are scarce here(all the broken Garda(police) ones are non abs so a second hand one isnt an option) or will a modulator off another model fit,
mines a 98 st1100 aw, thanks,
Jim

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100AW
Nope. The entire modulator is a single part.

--Mark
After a lot of research i have found out that Honda DO sell this sensor as part of an abs unit rebuild kit(which also seems to include a rubber boot to cover the sensor)
The part does not show up on my local dealers system but they faxed honda for me and it is available,
For those in the same situation as myself the part number is 57920-MAJ-G40 for €180, and is a lot cheaper than €1300 for a new modulator,

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Well, that's certainly good to know. I'll have to see if I can run down the super-secret dealers-only fiche.

--Mark

Bike
Vstrom 650
After a lot of research i have found out that Honda DO sell this sensor as part of an abs unit rebuild kit(which also seems to include a rubber boot to cover the sensor)
The part does not show up on my local dealers system but they faxed honda for me and it is available,
For those in the same situation as myself the part number is 57920-MAJ-G40 for €180, and is a lot cheaper than €1300 for a new modulator,
When you got this part was it difficult to fit Jim and did it cure the problem? thanks

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Bike
Vstrom 650
OP
OP
Bike
ST1100AW
When you got this part was it difficult to fit Jim and did it cure the problem? thanks
Sorry i didnt get back to this sooner, it shouldnt be hard to fit but the two retaining screws on mine had completely seized in place, they had to be very carefully drilled out, it solved the problem though,
if you take off your old one it can easily be tested, measure the resistance between the outer two wires, then connect the meter to the centre wire and one of the outers, the resistance should be zero(or near as makes no odds) when wound one way and should be the same as the measurement between the outer two(again near enough) when wound the other way,
now change the probe from the outer wire to the other outer wire leaving the centre wire in place, the results of the first test should be reversed,
if it doesnt perform as above then replace the thing, if it does then the fault is further up the wire.
Pity you're the other end of the country, but if you want i'll give you my phone number and i can talk you through it if need be

Bike
Vstrom 650
Does the traction control still work even though the abs is disabled? and if so how?

Got the replacement caliper bracket from Holland today,thanks Martin.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Does the traction control still work even though the abs is disabled?
I doubt so, as it as well uses the wheel sensors to detect the 5% slip of the rear wheel before cutting engine power by altering the ignition timing...

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100AW
Does the traction control still work even though the abs is disabled? and if so how?

Got the replacement caliper bracket from Holland today,thanks Martin.

The tcs will work as long as the wheel speed sensors are working, they're the only part of the abs system that the tcs uses(apart from the abs computer)

Top Bottom