My new Project. 1974 Honda XL 350

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Just picked this up from CList. $500, but has not run in over 10 years. Turns over, in good shape, tank empty and rusted, 4k miles and it had a title. Going to be looking for some help on this one as I have never owned one, but love the look and sound of a thumper.

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
Wow Bill..that's a GOOD looking bike! Can't wait to rid..er..see you ride it! ;) Good price to boot. Goodluck with it! :)

Ride55

Rocky
STOC #
Looks like it has been in dry storage the whole time. Sweet.

And on second look, never been on its left side. Let us know how you are going to deal with the rust in the tank.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks Troy, of course I'll let you throw a leg over it.
This was something that I bought before I saw it again. I called about 30min after posted and he said someone was on the way, so I told him I would buy it and bringing cash.......that seems to work out well for me........thankfully!!:)
I don't see why I can't have this running for a ride next weekend.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Looks like it has been in dry storage the whole time. Sweet.

And on second look, never been on its left side. Let us know how you are going to deal with the rust in the tank.
Yea, I am amazed at the condition. It was in dry storage, but in an aluminum shed on Black Hammock Island on the marsh.......he bought it in 1980.

Ride55

Rocky
STOC #
Something did happen on the left side at some point, check out the end of the clutch lever. Not sure about the tank, I'll check youtube, but Im thinking diesel and some marbles.
I think there is a coating you can get, just not sure how well it works. Do you think you will have to bench strip the carbs to check the rubbers and gaskets?

Funny, that clutch lever was hard to see, maybe I should put on my glasses next time. I was looking at the turn signals and foot pegs.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
This stuff looks better, but $77.
I know what will happen, I don't want to wait for it to be mailed.......the tank is off already.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I think there is a coating you can get, just not sure how well it works. Do you think you will have to bench strip the carbs to check the rubbers and gaskets?

Funny, that clutch lever was hard to see, maybe I should put on my glasses next time. I was looking at the turn signals and foot pegs.
I'll see what the bowls look like first. But one thing is that it is leaking oil from the left side motor cover. I may be able to make my own gasket there.

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
Hey, nice bike and the cosmetics appear in super shape ! I bought a new XL 250 in 74 ,same color but with the up pipe . My fist street bike and took license test on her ! Great little bike ! Looks like a good prodject and a lot simpler than the 74 CB 750 i,m going to tackle . Well good luck !
MIKE

Bike
ST 1300
1974 was a great year. Good luck with your project. I want to find another 83 CB 1000 Custom in good condition someday.

Ride55

Rocky
STOC #
Ok, now we are talking. If you Scotch drinkers make it this way, I have a bottle of Johnny Walker King Georg V Blue label sitting in my cabinet. It is a blend of 80+ year old single malts. You think an 1800 GL is smooth.... Trust me when I say it is worth the ride.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Ok, now we are talking. If you Scotch drinkers make it this way, I have a bottle of Johnny Walker King Georg V Blue label sitting in my cabinet. It is a blend of 80+ year old single malts. You think an 1800 GL is smooth.... Trust me when I say it is worth the ride.
I'm doing a four corner run next spring. Could use one by the time I get your way.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Hey, nice bike and the cosmetics appear in super shape ! I bought a new XL 250 in 74 ,same color but with the up pipe . My fist street bike and took license test on her ! Great little bike ! Looks like a good prodject and a lot simpler than the 74 CB 750 i,m going to tackle . Well good luck !
MIKE
My second, and better liked than my first KZ1000, was a 1974 CB750F. Great bike, have fun with your build as well.

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Cleaning carb on the bike. Something about the smell of old gas gets me motivated.
All fuel lines fell apart to the touch. Air filter turned to dust. Tank was half full of ......stuff. Oil was full......over full.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Looking like fun! Nice to see 30+ year old bikes getting some love!!!
I passed up a '75 Yamaha DT250 at a sale yesterday,,, went for $450.
Good luck on getting the first ride soon!

Top Bottom