OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Site Supporter...you a FAN?$
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I pulled the carb off the bike, the float will not move freely. Anyone have a link for carburetor kit or better yet, a rebuilder in Jax, FL?

Bike
Had 95 11 & 06 13
Good find there.
Had a '78 XL350 for 31 years (rode it back to the USA from Bangladesh in '79 - '80). Only real issue I had were the points.
I'd just file them level with a smooth flat file (then drag a clean rough paper thru them as the last step), and it'd run well for several thousand miles more.
Had about 32K on it when I traded it to the guy from whom I bought my '95 ST11 (plus cash, of course!) a year and a half ago.
I do miss it.
Good luck, and keep us informed how it goes.
Gord

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #
That's a good looking bike! I have a 1975 XL350, waiting to be restored, and it does not look any where near that good!
Mine was bought new by Wayne Newton. Other than that there is nothing significant about it. Everything is there, the rings were rusted to cylinder, that has been corrected and ok. It has a lot of rust!

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
That's a good looking bike! I have a 1975 XL350, waiting to be restored, and it does not look any where near that good!
Mine was bought new by Wayne Newton. Other than that there is nothing significant about it. Everything is there, the rings were rusted to cylinder, that has been corrected and ok. It has a lot of rust!
Now that would be some great video of Wayne Newton on a Honda......or any bike. That is very cool. You know you have to tell the story of how the bike came to you, right?

That is a really good looking bike, I always wanted one. In 1974 I had graduated high school and traded my Honda SL125 ( wish I still had it) for a CL350

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Good find there.
Had a '78 XL350 for 31 years (rode it back to the USA from Bangladesh in '79 - '80). Only real issue I had were the points.
I'd just file them level with a smooth flat file (then drag a clean rough paper thru them as the last step), and it'd run well for several thousand miles more.
Had about 32K on it when I traded it to the guy from whom I bought my '95 ST11 (plus cash, of course!) a year and a half ago.
I do miss it.
Good luck, and keep us informed how it goes.
Gord
I have nothing for that. WOW,WOW,WOW. I dream of stuff like that!
I am in the mist of planning a four corners run (my own route) and would love to hear some storys of yours while out that way. Some advice on roads would be good too. :)

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Ok, Rusteco did not clean all of the tank after over 3 weeks , butt worked well if you have a tank that has not been "coated" before. This is just a rust remover and I will have to clean the tank again later.
I cleaned the tank and carb. with no adjustments and no removal of head.......
First kick, nothing.......oh, choke
Second kick, nothing......... (This is a bike sitting in a shed for 10 years)
Third kick, fire!!!!!!!
Fourth kick, ...... start and idle!
I love a Honda.

The carb is still not right. Great under power, but dog at cruising speed. Too much fuel.

I need tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Front tire......1975.......
Rear tire.........almost as old...............

I want street tires or Adventure tires. Fronts are 21" , rear is a 18".
Not sure of fork clearance.

Here are some pics as of 10/25/11

saddletramp8511

R.I.P. - 2019/01/01
Rest In Peace
Bike
2014 Gold Wing
Bill I owned 2 XL 350s back in the 70s....first one was a 74 that was silver and blue....second was a 76 that was black and red....What you have is a 75.....same look as 74 except paint was black and red...I bought both the 74 and the 76 new...the head plate on yours may have a 74 mfg date but like some cars that are introduced late in the year it is really the following model year....regardless you got one heck of a deal....there is a web site called Thumper Talk where you may find a lot of helpful info...Also what my ancient mind allows me to recall may be helpful to you...Dont hesitate to contact me....I have been riding red since 1972 so somewhere behind the cobwebs there is some info that might help you....Bill

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
Bill I owned 2 XL 350s back in the 70s....first one was a 74 that was silver and blue....second was a 76 that was black and red....What you have is a 75.....same look as 74 except paint was black and red...I bought both the 74 and the 76 new...the head plate on yours may have a 74 mfg date but like some cars that are introduced late in the year it is really the following model year....regardless you got one heck of a deal....there is a web site called Thumper Talk where you may find a lot of helpful info...Also what my ancient mind allows me to recall may be helpful to you...Dont hesitate to contact me....I have been riding red since 1972 so somewhere behind the cobwebs there is some info that might help you....Bill
Yea, I ment to correct myself long before now. It is a 1975. Thanks, I'll need some help on this one, it's a keeper!

Bike
1993 ST1100
STOC #
True story here....I bought a 1975 XL 350, for 50.00$ and it looks like 50.00$!
Everything is there but very rusty and the engine was stuck, rings stuck to the cyl.
I opened the seat and there was the original 1975 registration card and 2 pictures of kids.
The bike was registered to Wayne Newton Las Vegas Nevada!
I have the cylinder bored, started the restoration but that is as far as I have gone. I live in Sanford NC.
If mine looked as good as yours I would have it on e-bay by now!
True story!

OP
OP
Hotwheelbill

Hotwheelbill

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
OK, Time for an update.
I did put on the 36mm Mikuni kit. And, after finding an old post somewhere about electronic ignitions CDI for this bike, I looked for a better spark. No CDI left unless you find them on a golden shelf in some barn in WY. Soooo, I also found a site with some info on points and condensers. What I did was put on a set of points from a 1970 GM 454 and , by the info, the largest for price condenser. 1968 Mopar 440.
The bike ran great!!!!! Until the rust in the tank came back into play. The tank had a coating put in it at some point and I have yet to get all of that out and there for it still has rust behind that coating.
xl pipe.jpg
This week I ordered a new exhaust pipe and chrome cone "muffler". (LOL, its gona be loud!).
Here is where I want some input. I plan to paint the bare metal pipe, wrap with exhaust wrap, repaint and spray with coating. Does this sound right? Any input on paint-primer-wrap-ties-coatings?
Then I will take the bike to Mind Ride Cycles in Jax to remove the rust from the tank for good and tune the carb.
Oh, and I got a new chain to fit my 39 tooth sprocket. That will make it a little better street rider with out knocking a valve at 50mph.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I just caught this thread. I know I'm too late...but...the best thing you could do to that pipe is have it Jet-Hot coated (or similar, different brand). It will actually last & look good.

Great bike you have there! I have always wanted to do a restoration/rebuild. I tore down my old '87 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane to the frame, blasted it, painted with POR-15 and installed all new bearings. I have a brand new Corbin seat, had a new windscreen, and lots of other new parts. Just needed reassembly and locating some plastic, and repairing other plastic. Then I had to move, so it got stored in my father's garage attic. Then move again. And again. 12+ years later, its still in his garage...I hope. If I ever get a garage and a real job, I'd love to revive it.

I also would love to find & restore a 1977 Honda XR75 just like my first bike.

Top Bottom