How to Create a .GPX File From a Google Maps Route

I use the the GMapToGPX plug-in for Firefox and Internet Explorer to create a .GPX file From a Google Maps route. Credit goes to Steve Manes for much of the following content.

Using Firefox or IE, navigate to http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/ and follow the instructions to create a GMapToGPX bookmark (Firefox) or Favorite (IE). Note: if you're using Firefox, just drag the yellow GMapToGPX link to your Firefox bookmarks toolbar - the area just below the address bar (where you type in ww... to get to a website).

Next, create your route in Google Maps as you normally would, dragging alternative routes around as much as you like. When you're satisfied with your route, click the GMapToGPX bookmark in your Firefox toolbar (or the GMapToGPX favorite if you're using IE).

This will load GMapToGPX's JavaScript which will construct an XML-formatted dump file of the route you've built in Google Maps. Left-click on that listing, type Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C (Windows) or Command-A and Command-C (Mac) to copy those instructions to memory. Now you have 2 options:

1. Save a .GPX to Your Computer: Open a new file in a non-corrupting editor like Notepad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac) and paste the .GPX using Ctrl-V (Windows) or Command-V (Mac). Then save the file somewhere on your disk. Click here for ways to import any .GPX file to your Zumo.

2. Import Directly to Your GPS Using TakItWithMe's GPX File Uploader: This requires the Garmin Communicator Plug-in to be installed and your GPS to be connected to your computer via USB cable. Launch a web browser (I've only tested using Firefox), and navigate to http://www.takitwithme.com/gpx.html. Paste the .GPX using Ctrl-V (Windows) or Command-V (Mac) into the form on the website and click the Upload GPX to Your Garmin button - your GPS should appear in the Devices drop-down to the right of the button (I have not been successful changing the drop-down option to Removable Disk, which represents the SD card in my Zumo). Remove the USB cable from your Zumo (6 series - replace the battery door). You should be asked to import new User Data; otherwise, use the import tools on the GPS to import the new route. The route will have a very generic name, but you can change it by selecting the route in your GPS and using the Edit button.

The advantage to option 1 is that you can re-use the .GPX file. The advantage to option 2 is that it's quick and easy!

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
I use the the GMapToGPX plug-in for Firefox and Internet Explorer to create a .GPX file From a Google Maps route. Credit goes to Steve Manes for much of the following content.

Using Firefox or IE, navigate to http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/ and follow the instructions to create a GMapToGPX bookmark (Firefox) or Favorite (IE). Note: if you're using Firefox, just drag the yellow GMapToGPX link to your Firefox bookmarks toolbar - the area just below the address bar (where you type in ww... to get to a website).

Next, create your route in Google Maps as you normally would, dragging alternative routes around as much as you like. When you're satisfied with your route, click the GMapToGPX bookmark in your Firefox toolbar (or the GMapToGPX favorite if you're using IE).

This will load GMapToGPX's JavaScript which will construct an XML-formatted dump file of the route you've built in Google Maps. Left-click on that listing, type Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C (Windows) or Command-A and Command-C (Mac) to copy those instructions to memory. Now you have 2 options:

1. Save a .GPX to Your Computer: Open a new file in a non-corrupting editor like Notepad (Windows) or TextEdit (Mac) and paste the .GPX using Ctrl-V (Windows) or Command-V (Mac). Then save the file somewhere on your disk. Click here for ways to import any .GPX file to your Zumo.

2. Import Directly to Your GPS Using TakItWithMe's GPX File Uploader: This requires the Garmin Communicator Plug-in to be installed and your GPS to be connected to your computer via USB cable. Launch a web browser (I've only tested using Firefox), and navigate to http://www.takitwithme.com/gpx.html. Paste the .GPX using Ctrl-V (Windows) or Command-V (Mac) into the form on the website and click the Upload GPX to Your Garmin button - your GPS should appear in the Devices drop-down to the right of the button (I have not been successful changing the drop-down option to Removable Disk, which represents the SD card in my Zumo). Remove the USB cable from your Zumo (6 series - replace the battery door). You should be asked to import new User Data; otherwise, use the import tools on the GPS to import the new route. The route will have a very generic name, but you can change it by selecting the route in your GPS and using the Edit button.

The advantage to option 1 is that you can re-use the .GPX file. The advantage to option 2 is that it's quick and easy!
Thanks Kevin...this does not work on my mac. It crashed Firefox twice. Someday we'll have to crawl thru this over a beer.

OP
OP
Thanks Kevin...this does not work on my mac. It crashed Firefox twice. Someday we'll have to crawl thru this over a beer.
Here's another option to create a GPX file from a Google Map:

1. Save your Google Map using the Save to My Maps link at the bottom of the Google Map.
2. Open the saved map using the My places link at the top of the Google Map. Your map must have lines or routes in it. It appears that a My Map with only points doesn’t convert correctly.
3. Click the KML link, you'll be prompted to save the map as a .KML file.
4. Launch a web browser and navigate to GPS Visualizer to convert your KML file to GPX file.
5. Select GPX as the output.
6. For the input, choose the KML file you just downloaded from Google My Maps.
7. Click the Convert button. Your file will be uploaded and your GPX file will be presented for download on the next page.
8. Download your GPX file from the link on the page.

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
Here's another option to create a GPX file from a Google Map:

1. Save your Google Map using the Save to My Maps link at the bottom of the Google Map.
2. Open the saved map using the My places link at the top of the Google Map. Your map must have lines or routes in it. It appears that a My Map with only points doesn’t convert correctly.
3. Click the KML link, you'll be prompted to save the map as a .KML file.
4. Launch a web browser and navigate to GPS Visualizer to convert your KML file to GPX file.
5. Select GPX as the output.
6. For the input, choose the KML file you just downloaded from Google My Maps.
7. Click the Convert button. Your file will be uploaded and your GPX file will be presented for download on the next page.
8. Download your GPX file from the link on the page.
Kevin, 16 months later, I finally got around to following your instructions and HOOOO-RAH!!!!!!....It worked. Many thanks!

Bob

Top Bottom