Cruise Control / Throttle Lock Options

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've been meaning to do this for a while now. Cruise Control and Throttle Lock options don't change much over the years so a summary of what's available seems like an obvious thing to help folks choose what works for them. I'll tweak this as I get more info.

Cruise Controls
- Devices which adjust throttles bike controls automatically to attain a constant speed.
  • MC Cruise Electronic (product info)
    • Prices start at $920 (ST1100) and $959 (ST1300)
    • Installation and setup can be extensive

• Rostra Electronic (product info)
    • Prices start at around $200
    • Installation and setup can be extensive, great instructions here

• Audiovox CCS-100 Vacuum
    • Prices start at $70 to around $200
    • Installation and setup can be extensive, great instructions here and here

Throttle Locks - Devices which temporarily lock the throttle function in one position and do not automatically maintain a constant speed.
  • Break Away Cruise Control (product info)
    • Price is $199 (ST1100 or ST1300)

• Throttlemeister (product info)
    • Prices start at $116 (ST1100) and $137 (ST1300)

• Vista Cruise Universal 1" (Product info)
    • Prices start around $35
    • Since the ST has 1" bars this is the one typically suggested for the ST
  • Go Cruise 1" (Product info)
    • Prices start around $20

• Vista Cruise 7/8" (Product info)
    • Many have modified the inner diameter of these to fit a 1" bar
    • Requires epoxy or some other attachment method that is not part of the installation instructions

• NEP Throttle Lock (Product info)
    • Prices start around $17
    • Many have modified the inner diameter of these to fit a 1" bar
    • Requires epoxy or some other attachment method that is not part of the installation instructions

• O-Rings
    • Prices are around $1
    • Can be purchased at O-Ring suppliers

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts tonight and you can special order , for $189.01 , an AudioVox " Universal Vacuum Cruise Control System " part number 2501076 . "Keystone Automotive Operations " was mentioned on the print-out he gave me - maybe that is a particular catalog they had ?

I was wanting to get a Dakota Digital brand non-vacuum type of cruise control, for lack of space considerations ? Any insight on that brand ?
Thanks, I'll remove my 'discontinued' comment and adjust the price.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I have a NEP throttle lock from the USA.... works really well as long as it isn't too hilly..... but gives your throttle hand a real easy time.... not expensive either, I have to confess I was sent it as a gift from an Uncle of mine in Tennessee.......

Bike
07 ST1300A
IMG_0815.JPG I got my go cruise the other day and initial observations were pretty good. I ordered the 1" and installed it on the heated grips with the use of the rubber sleeve that's supplied with it. From what little I've been able to use it so far in about 15 minutes of riding, it seems to hold pretty good on smooth roads. Rough roads it will slowly slip from the vibration. If your looking for a true throttle lock its not going to do it. For temparory relief for several miles to rest your hand or adjust something it works great for $20.

Bike
06 ST
I have the Break-A-Way throttle lock. I am very happy with it....fine piece of engineering...a little pricy at $200.

AZlouie

R.I.P. - 2012/07/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300A (2006)
STOC #
No, I found a 1" kit. No problem with the rings fitting on the grip...just the bracket that the arm attaches to that instructions say to mount between the starter housing and the brake mounting. Just not enough room. I like what 8-ball did with his, fastening the arm to one of the brake mounting bolts. I believe I'll give that a try. Thanks.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
In your list one of the items is:

Go Cruise 1" (Product info)

In the thread https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?115425-Whitehorse-Throttle-Lock&highlight=Go+Cruise
"bkra13" says he used the 7/8" version
So which is correct - 1" as you state, or 7/8" as bkra13 says?
I just ordered the 7/8" version and hope I ordered the correct one.
The particular design of the product is such that is may not matter. But, 1" is what should fit just fine.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Size matters. The 7/8th size is meant for most UJMs. The 1" is for the larger cruiser bars that Harleys and some others run. With the 7/8 size on stock grips, I don't even need to use the silicon sleeve. With the 1", you'll probably need the sleeve and possibly additional tension. My guess is that the folks that have complained about the Go Cruise not holding are using the bigger size.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Size matters. The 7/8th size is meant for most UJMs. The 1" is for the larger cruiser bars that Harleys and some others run. With the 7/8 size on stock grips, I don't even need to use the silicon sleeve. With the 1", you'll probably need the sleeve and possibly additional tension. My guess is that the folks that have complained about the Go Cruise not holding are using the bigger size.
Good to know, thanks!

Bike
2006 ST1300
Go Cruise was on my list but I wanted to know if anyone has seen/Tried this one. http://www.omni-cruise.com/ looks similar but with more ability to control actually. I am on a trend of pulling out old threads tonight. I guess I should not do this after surgery. :D

Bike
'01 ST1100
Go Cruise was on my list but I wanted to know if anyone has seen/Tried this one. http://www.omni-cruise.com/ looks similar but with more ability to control actually. I am on a trend of pulling out old threads tonight. I guess I should not do this after surgery. :D

Watched the video.

Whoa, if one forgot to release the Omni-Cruise lever before squeezing the front brake, one might be in a world of hurt!

I'm just sayin'.

Bike
2006 ST1300
How is it much different than the GO-Cruise. I think it is just that this one is adjustable tention. Maybe I am incorrect but not really sure.

Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #
I went with the Kaoko throttle lock from Twisted Throttle a few years ago...but it is now available in Canada directly from Motorcycle Innovations....

Works fine...does all I need it to...

Brian

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Any new options out there? Mine finally quit working and I was thinking about replacing rather than troubleshooting.

I've been meaning to post this about CC's. I've installed both electric/vacuum actuators (audiovox/rostra). When desigining their layout, most people assume the electrical model is smaller-when I had both in hand they looked the same size. I measured and, by volume, the electric is bigger! It's been a few years, so I can't recall exact mesurments. The vacuum one is smaller but when a reservoir is added to the install it ends up being the "space hog" of the two. Just something to keep in mind when thinking about installation

Last edited:
Top Bottom