how do I set rear brake-light sensitivity

Bike
ST1300A
I saw a post the other day (that I just cannot find again) saying that it requires a lot of pressure on the rear brake pedal to set off the brake-light. I was changing a rear brake bulb tonight so I tested it, and I agree that it takes a lot of movement and force on the rear brake pedal before the rear brake-light comes on. How do I adjust this so that it is more sensitive and comes on as soon as I tap the rear brake pedal?

Someone mentioned how to do this adjustment in the earlier post but I just can't find that post no matter what I type in to the "Advanced Search" field. Thanks in advance.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
OP
OP
The Professor
Bike
ST1300A
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?53097-Rear-Brake-Pedal&highlight=rear+brake

not sure if this is how to post links or not but this might help find what you're looking for. (scratch that, that one is for adjusting brake point)

try this one instead...ST1100 but should be similar for the 13, I don't have the manual handy right now:

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?75873-Rear-Brake-Light-Switch...-how&highlight=rear+brake+light
Thanks Gus1300 but that wasn't the post I saw.
Maybe someone else will chime in.
Cheers,
AL

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Re: Rode the ST home today, initial observations.
Sounds like your mpg sounds about right for the ride you mentioned . There,s an adjustment on the rear tailight at the pedal, the black plastic nut on the switch can be turned to set engagement ! Mine was the same on my 07, I set it so it,s on as soon as you touch the pedal, easy fix ! Ride safe and enjoy !
MIKE

Is that the one? Search the subject line for the thread but looks like the solution you're searching for is the same one in the second link above. Good luck!

(just went out to the bike and looked, there is a knurled plastic adjuster located in the triangular area just above the pedal for just this purpose, ref service manual, bottom of page 3-22 [2003-2005], there is a 'heat rubber' there protecting it from road debris, move it aside to expose the switch. when turning the adjustment, make sure to keep the switch from rotating and putting undue stress on the wires.)

Bike
2005 ST 1300 ABS
STOC #
I had the same issue you almost have to lock up the rear brakes to get the brake light to come on. using what it said in this post I just adjusted that switch in about 5 minutes. if you pull the rubber out of the way and kind of push it forward and so it stays out of the way, I grabbed the body of the switch with a pair of needle-nose pliers gently pulled up a little bit to take the tension off and used a regular screwdriver to turn that nut probably two to three full turns downward, lifting the switch upward and now my rear brake light works just as well as it does with the front brakes. I also recommend spraying a little WD-40 on the threads and the nut to make it turn easier, it definitely made a difference. Easy fix.
IMG_20160317_183706.jpg
IMG_20160317_183729.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
2003 ST1300
I had the same issue you almost have to lock up the rear brakes to get the brake light to come on. using what it said in this post I just adjusted that switch in about 5 minutes. if you pull the rubber out of the way and kind of push it forward and so it stays out of the way, I grabbed the body of the switch with a pair of needle-nose pliers gently pulled up a little bit to take the tension off and used a regular screwdriver to turn that nut probably two to three full turns downward, lifting the switch upward and now my rear brake light works just as well as it does with the front brakes. I also recommend spraying a little WD-40 on the threads and the nut to make it turn easier, it definitely made a difference. Easy fix.
IMG_20160317_183706.jpg
IMG_20160317_183729.jpg
Thanks @RedNHST for this, I just did it and it makes a huge difference! Super easy job thanks to these instructions.

Top Bottom