Just ordered PR2's

Bike
09 ST1300A
Yesterday I ordered a set of Michelin PR2 tires from Two Brothers. :D
I read all I could here about tires until my head was spinning. Tire preference seems a little like oil preferences, but I felt there were a few tires that were chosen the most by you all, so I thought I'd give these PR2's a try.

Don't hate me :p: but I've got 15,000 on my BT020F's. The front is to the wear bars on the left of the tire that wears more and the rear looks like it could go even further. I ride about 60/40 (alone/2 up - wife+me 300 lbs) mostly on small 40-50 mph roads, about 20% highway/interstate. I've seen higher mileage mentioned here but mostly less miles are reported. I wonder if New England temperatures allow more miles than you can get in hotter climates like Texas & AZ :confused:

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Ken, I've had good luck with Michelin Pilot Roads, starting with the originals, then the PR2's and now PR3's that I just put on. How you manage to get 15,000 on BT020F's is beyond me (good on you!). The most miles I have gotten on tires on my ST has been PR2's (about 9,000 on the rear and 13,000 on the front). I like the way they handle and behave in the wet, and the dual compound I'm sure has contributed to the longer tread life I've gotten. The PR3's are supposed to be the next new thing so I went with those.

The best choice you made is getting your tires from Tim & Ernie!

Bike
04 st1300A
PR's are my next choice of tire as well due to the populaity and high praise on this forum. I think I will try the PR3's. I have the stock tires on my 04 that are about 1/2 worn due to very low milage but the age of them worries me. I will start next season with some new sticky shoes.

Bike
07 ST1300A
I just replaced my 023's with a set of PR2's. just put the bike back together this afternoon and have obly ridden 17 miles to work tonight on them. My 023's have 6300 miles on them and about the same for the 020's from before. Here is a picture of my 023's. I will try to report every now and then on how the PR2 are holding up.

Attachments

STark1050

Garry Franklin
Bike
03 st1300
I'm on my second set of PR2's I got 8500 with tread left and put a new set on before a trip. I consider the PR2's the best tires I've had.
--Garry--

Bike
ST1300
Wow! You ran those tires way farther Than I would have. Love my pr2s . have second or third set on now.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I replace the OEM Bridgestones at 11,500. I have that many miles on my PR2's now. I have a set of PR3's sitting in the garage. I would say the rear is holding up better than the front. The road feel of the PR2's is much superior than the Bridgestones. I think you'll be happy with the PR2's.

Tom

OP
OP
Ken Valkyrie
Bike
09 ST1300A
I mounted & balanced my new rear PR2 the other day. It went easier than I thought it would (compared to R&R'ing Avon Cobras or Venom-X tires on my previous bike-Valkyrie). I also think it is my getting more experience doing it, patience & planning. Even though I have some decent tools I ordered another 16" tire iron from from J&P cycles and another set of "Nylon" rim protectors. I found that the softer, rubbery (blue) rim protectors I have tend to get cut through with repeated use whereas the Nylon ones hold up just fine.
The rear PR2 took two 10g weights, my original rear BT020 had one at 10g and one at 20g.
I'll probably get to changing out the front tire in a week or so. The front is not worn as bad as the rear was, besides I like changing one at a time. My wife and I got out for a nice 140 mile ride yesterday (Sat), the 60 degree days we have been getting in MA this late in the Fall have been a special blessing.

Cheers !!!

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Ken, I cut up gallon milk jugs and use pieces as rim protectors. The HDPE material is soft and maleable, and still offers protection. Once a piece gets a bit roughed up, I toss it.

But to your original point, I too find that there's technique that we develop in mounting tires...it gets a bit easier with repetition.
:)

Top Bottom