Video placing ST1300 on centerstand

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Great video! Thank you, I recently had to put it on center stand and took help from my landlord :O

Must try this today evening when I get home!

Regards,
Vishnu

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don't know if this has been mentioned but proper tire pressure makes the bike much easier to get on and off the center stand. It does make the bike a bit taller than if the tire pressure is low but it's still easier to roll off.

I really miss the Bates ride-off stand. I put one on my old GL and it was really nice.

Bike
ST1300
Very nice video. I just got my bike and was struggling trying to figure out how to get it up on the centerstand. I sure couldn't get it done sitting on the bike! So I get off and started trying with my right foot and the grab handle and it was still difficult. Ended up using my left foot instead. Now I believe it is more of a familiar process you have to learn but it is just easier for me to use the left foot.

Bike
ST13 - 2004
Hmm...
I didn't think it would be so difficult.
I used a bit of 3/4" ply to park the back wheel on then it was far easier.
\v/

Bike
2007 ST-1300
I'm glad I found this, I was going to post a question about getting it up on the centerstand, as I'm not quite ready to join the tip over club.
I'm 6' 240lbs. and felt like a sissy trying to get mine up on the center stand for the first time. (today)
Thanks for posting

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
Hi All: just did a post in the tip-over thread....so this is timely.

My last bike (25 years ago) was a 1979 Suzuki GS850G - which, at the time was one of the most top-heavy big bikes and generally judged to be THE most difficult motorcycle of the day to put on and take off the centre stand. Having said that, I never dropped my GS....and having owned an ST for all of 3 weeks, I do not claim expertise, but I know my applied mechanics and I do have a few observations (FWIW):

1) this thing (the Honda ST) is a big heavy machine with a high centre of gravity - so don't do anything involving the centre stand unless you have your stuff together and you've eaten your Wheaties (Shreddies for us members of the Chosen Frozen).

2) that fold-out handle thingy on the left side under the seat is absolutely the cats-*** for centre stand work - wow, thanks Soichiro!!!

3) the video for putting the ST ON the centre stand is perfecto. It's all about planning and leverage - NOT brute strength or the robustness of your footwear. Think about it people - can YOU really pick something that weighs 730lb up?

4) taking it OFF the centre stand - with respect, I disagree with the video.

I STRONGLY advocate that you do it while sitting ON the motorcycle with your right hand on the front brake lever. That way, it is about 97.895% LESS likely that this big bad girl will get away from you and you'll drop it. Also, always put the side stand DOWN before ANY centre stand operations. That way, you have a 50% chance of a graceful recovery in case you have a bad day and mess up.

The point is that Mr. Newton is always in charge and like gravity and friction, he ain't necessarily your friend either.

...just sayin'.....

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Hi All: just did a post in the tip-over thread....so this is timely.

My last bike (25 years ago) was a 1979 Suzuki GS850G - which, at the time was one of the most top-heavy big bikes and generally judged to be THE most difficult motorcycle of the day to put on and take off the centre stand. Having said that, I never dropped my GS....and having owned an ST for all of 3 weeks, I do not claim expertise, but I know my applied mechanics and I do have a few observations (FWIW):

1) this thing (the Honda ST) is a big heavy machine with a high centre of gravity - so don't do anything involving the centre stand unless you have your stuff together and you've eaten your Wheaties (Shreddies for us members of the Chosen Frozen).

2) that fold-out handle thingy on the left side under the seat is absolutely the cats-*** for centre stand work - wow, thanks Soichiro!!!

3) the video for putting the ST ON the centre stand is perfecto. It's all about planning and leverage - NOT brute strength or the robustness of your footwear. Think about it people - can YOU really pick something that weighs 730lb up?

4) taking it OFF the centre stand - with respect, I disagree with the video.

I STRONGLY advocate that you do it while sitting ON the motorcycle with your right hand on the front brake lever. That way, it is about 97.895% LESS likely that this big bad girl will get away from you and you'll drop it. Also, always put the side stand DOWN before ANY centre stand operations. That way, you have a 50% chance of a graceful recovery in case you have a bad day and mess up.

The point is that Mr. Newton is always in charge and like gravity and friction, he ain't necessarily your friend either.

...just sayin'.....
With no Disrespect intended, I may have to disagree with #1, #2, #3 and #4 (with an explanation)
#1 While I agree its a big heavy machine with a high center of gravity, technique wins over brute strength.
#2 My spine surgeon freaked out when he saw the position of this lever, and the position that it puts your spine/neck/shoulder in and said its the worst thing you could possibly use! (I trust this guy, he rebuilt my spine)
#3 No planning really, and yes, with proper technique, you can right a fallen bike without injury.
#4 I agree 100% with you on sitting on the bike when you push it off the centerstand, with your hand on the front brake, what I STRONGLY disagree with, is having your side stand deployed in the down position before you push it off the centerstand!
Depending on the weight of the rider, condition of the suspension, the surface of the ground, the weight of the bike, etc. the front forks/rear shock can compress enough to jam the sidestand into the ground and pitch your :butt1: and the
bike violently to the right!

I guess I'll have to keep up with the Jones's and make a video of putting the bike up on the center stand :rolleyes:
This can be done with two fingers on the left rear passenger grab handle, and your index finger and thumb on the left hand grip, and yes, I can even do it barefoot.
I believe the reason most folks have difficulty doing this is because they try to use strength, or jerk, or try to lift it up, instead of guiding the bike in the direction you want it to go, by the position of your body (stance) and very slight movement rearward.
This does not mean lift and jerk the bike to the rear.
I've had folks in the garage that swear I use some kind of ZEN to put the bikes up so effortlessly.
Its really nothing more than a simple Aikido motion. Something like this: Make sure bike is straight, handbars are centered, push the centerstand downward until you feel the left foot touching the ground firmly, then place right knee
into side of bike near the STUPID grab handle, push bike upward, push centerstand downward until you FEEL both feet touching
the ground. Now STOP. Instead of facing your bike (hips and shoulders square towards bike) turn your head to the right (about two o-clock) or towards the right rear saddlebag, now re-position your right foot (on the centerstand tab) towards the same place you are
looking, move your left foot closer to the bike, turn your body/hips/shoulders towards the target area, draw back ever so slightly, then shift your body in the direction everything is pointing. While you shift your weight, your foot tried to walk over the centerstand tab,
and your leg/knee will bend as if doing a lunge, and your right hand palm will be resting underneath the passenger grab handle, and simply guide the bike rearward and up on the stand.
This sounds like alot of body movement, but it is not, it is very slight and almost un-noticed unless you know what to look for.
I will say that at my age, and weak hands due to surgery, a spine that's on borrowed time, this technique will allow me to "throw my bike" if you will, up on the stand with enough force to slide it backwards a few inches in the garage.
I've shown this technique to very small women who were about 115-125lbs, and approximately 5'2 - 5'5 feet tall, and after a few attempts, once they figured out the FLOW they have no trouble with the center stand at all now.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I have to admit having problems getting my '05 on the centre stand until I watched dduelin's video.
I thought I wasn't strong enough and frankly let myself get psyched out by the bikes weight.

Last night I had to do some work on it and it just popped up on the stand as easily as my Tiger which weighs about 200 lbs less.
It's all in the technique as Larry so well described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'll have to try Larry's technique for setting it on the centerstand. I usually just brute force it up! ;)

As for coming off the centerstand, due to my tankbag, I cannot sit on the bike to push it off. It causes my tankbag to move forward (scratching the tank). So, I stand off to the left and with the sidestand down, push the bike forward, letting it rest on the sidestand before getting on.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I got some good advice re taking a bike off the centre stand while beside the bike.
With the sidestand down, turn the bars away from you slightly so that if the bike want to lean, it will lean toward you.
I've tried this and it definitely works.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Just be careful, because the forward movement of the bike, could cause the side stand to fold up if it contacts the ground, and with the bars turned away from you, the full weight of the bike will surprise you when you find out the side stand is not where you think it is.
Another thing to consider is that the little tiny bolt is prone to snapping off (kids who try to pull the bike up on the side stand to pivot the bike around find this out all the time). If your bike has a different rear spring, or a Police model spring, the bike will lean over farther than a civilian model, and I have seen them tip over on non-level surfaces while parked.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just be careful, because the forward movement of the bike, could cause the side stand to fold up if it contacts the ground, and with the bars turned away from you, the full weight of the bike will surprise you when you find out the side stand is not where you think it is.
Another thing to consider is that the little tiny bolt is prone to snapping off (kids who try to pull the bike up on the side stand to pivot the bike around find this out all the time). If your bike has a different rear spring, or a Police model spring, the bike will lean over farther than a civilian model, and I have seen them tip over on non-level surfaces while parked.
I've been doing it that way for a good 7 years now, haven't lost it yet! ;)

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
Just got a 2008 model Friday, have tried several times top get on center stand and failed. I use the method Dave shows, same as I used for 10 years on my GL1800 w/o a hitch. I'm only 160 lbs, had no problem with Wing, but this bike is 300 pounds lighter, and yet has me bamboozled! Any ideas?

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just got a 2008 model Friday, have tried several times top get on center stand and failed. I use the method Dave shows, same as I used for 10 years on my GL1800 w/o a hitch. I'm only 160 lbs, had no problem with Wing, but this bike is 300 pounds lighter, and yet has me bamboozled! Any ideas?
You might try pulling up on the lift handle as you push down with your foot. I do recommend hard sole shoes though.

Yep that's how I used to do it too, until I realized pushing down on the centerstand with my right foot, without hard soles on, damaged my foot. I now have arthritis in my right foot from it. So now, if I have soft soled shoes on, I use my arch of my foot, where the sole of the shoe is thicker.

When I have boots on, no problem at all!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I was discussing this thread with my 'Wing buddy and he told me he's put his 2005 'Wing on the center stand with his big toe! 'Whisky Tango... You lie!' But he says it's so. He concede putting my ST on the stand is hard compared to his 'Wing.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
Dave - great video; you should shoot one for help taking it OFF the center stand, too... Did this a few weeks ago and it rolled away from me and i had to lay it down...:mad:
Never try to get the bike off the center stand when you are not on the bike. Always set on the bike to take it off the centerstand so you are in a position to control its movement.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I don't have have a problem with the seat in the high position unless the tires are low. Never tried without sitting on the bike.

If you're vertically challenged getting off the center stand will astride could be very difficult. Putting it in gear before taking it off would limit the roll-away.

I'd be tempted to cobble the plastic to install the ol' Bates Ride-Off stand.

Top Bottom