Video placing ST1300 on centerstand

v8-7

Site Supporter
Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause .

Nice job Dave..

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
There are couple of things you should know after you watch this video. Dave is about half my size. He was able to post his bike easier than I can. I think this video was shot at night so we couldn't see the string attached to the bike and his daughter out in the drive helping to pull it up on the centerstand. :crackup

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Same method I learned to use after some trial and error. Thanks Dave. ;)

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
There are couple of things you should know after you watch this video. Dave is about half my size. He was able to post his bike easier than I can. I think this video was shot at night so we couldn't see the string attached to the bike and his daughter out in the drive helping to pull it up on the centerstand. :crackup
You busted me Paul. I trained her for hours on how to pull that string. The CD you sent me with the theme from the Long Ranger made the long hours bearable!:D

Osh

Bike
2007 ST1300
Dave - great video; you should shoot one for help taking it OFF the center stand, too... Did this a few weeks ago and it rolled away from me and i had to lay it down...:mad:

Bike
2014 FJR ES 2009 WEE
Dave - great video; you should shoot one for help taking it OFF the center stand, too... Did this a few weeks ago and it rolled away from me and i had to lay it down...:mad:
..........Yeah sure, ANOTHER one of those "I had to lay it down to avoid an accident" stories........:D.....feel the pain anyway...........ff

Osh

Bike
2007 ST1300
..........Yeah sure, ANOTHER one of those "I had to lay it down to avoid an accident" stories........:D.....feel the pain anyway...........ff
Hi Fly - mines worse, i'm afraid... I rolled mine of the center stand and just f*cked up; it rolled away from me and try as i did, couldn't stop it from rolling over...

Prize idiot!

Osh

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Try removing both saddle bags and any heavy objects from your top box then try again..... surprising how much extra weight we carry in those bags.

Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Exactly how I put mine on the ctr-stand. Used to put it on all the time, now mostly just to do service on it. Kept my Goldwings on ctr-stand when parked almost all the time (they were easier than the ST). On a related note - I have now adopted the standard motor officer "dismount on right." I can get me leg over the seat easier that way, and if the bike for some reason decided to rock off the side stand, it will not fall on me (plus I have the bulk of the frame and engine in front of me to use for cover!).

I am curious if you folks are standing beside the bike to take it OFF the center stand. I always mount up and just rock it off while sitting on it. Same for Goldwings. I can see it easily "getting away" trying to do it from standing beside it (not a 200# dirt bike). No access to rear brake, hard to reach the front brake. If I were to try it that way, I'd put it in gear first, and pull in the clutch, rock it off, and release clutch for braking (I guess). Only ever seemed logical to me to take it off from sitting on the seat with feet on either side and giving a good forward rock to get the stand over-center.

For those who have had the "ST Escape" going on, you should have used the opportunity to shoot the "how to get your ST back on 2 wheels by yourself" video ;)

Bike
2007 yamaha fjr1300
I just sit on the bike and give a shove forward so I can grab brake if I need to. Easiest way for me to get the bike off the center stand.. but I have a 36" inseam too so I have a lot of extra leg on the ground to push forward with :)

Thanks for the video, though I wish I had found it before trial and error lead me to the easy way to do it :lol:

OP
OP
dduelin

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
To get it off the center stand I sit on the bike and slide to one side in order to get one foot solidly on the ground, then rock and push forward with the leg at the same time. I hold a little front brake to control movement forward and this allows the center stand to ease up gently as weight comes off of it.

Last edited:
Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I just sit on the bike and give a shove forward so I can grab brake if I need to. Easiest way for me to get the bike off the center stand.. but I have a 36" inseam too so I have a lot of extra leg on the ground to push forward with :)

Thanks for the video, though I wish I had found it before trial and error lead me to the easy way to do it :lol:
I have a 30" pant inseam and rock it off the ctr stand sitting on the saddle without problem. I run my Laam seat on low in back and mid in front, and can get both feet with typical boots nearly flat on the ground. I guess MSF still instructs left side dismount only. I did our Idaho STAR experienced rider course Sunday before last and we had a brief discussion during a break in the range training. Their approach is to guide new riders to all left side, but that had no problem with right-side dismount as long it was consistent and I could do it safely without falling down (or some legal comment like that!). I did the precision course last September (also a STAR course) instructed by two motor patrol training officers with near 60 yrs experience between them. They had no problem with right side dismounts (as motor officers are trained to do - at least in Idaho).

I did have a few issues with the head instructor of this class a couple weeks ago. He got somewhat obstinate after I asked some questions and made some comments about the PRC I did last Sept, and what we had learned there. Not sure what the issue was - he also is qualified to teach that course, and apparently does it a couple times per year. I got a very unusual comment from him at the post-eval individual briefing - somewhat surprised me. PM me if you are interested in details.

Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Here's how I do it ...

[video=youtube;hGlCNe2TjpI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGlCNe2TjpI[/video]
That's about the cleanest way I've seen it done from beside the bike. 100% agree with using the grab bar - much more control for getting it off. The lift bar is only useful for pulling up and back, and could easily cause an issue of controlling the bike when it started moving forward. Good video - thanks for posting.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
I use that same methods for center stand for both the 1100 and the Wing. I also tend to carry "junk" in the side bags and top cases. No problem doing it with soft sole shoes. Thanks for the post, Dave.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I can see it getting away, lots of weight that starts to move in a direction you don't want it to and it's pretty hard to get it back.
I either sit on it or stand next to it and just give an easy push on the handlbars to ease it off the center stand using front brake to control movement.
Thanks for the video's.

Top Bottom