I Love/Hate my PR-2s

Bike
ST1300 '08
the "squirm" with my PR2's went away when I did the Sonic springs.. anything to that? I wear ear plugs cut in half...no noise probs for me with the PR2's. I also think the rear top case detracts from handling, but not terribly so.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I love the wear that I am getting from them, but I hate the noise
After finally giving up on the flat prone Avon's I purchased a set of PR2's this spring. With less than 500 miles the front tire was making that loud noise. Also I noticed when I was into a turn I could feel a vibration in the foot-pegs and the howl got worse. I have 6000 miles on the PR2's and they are in much better shape than the last 3 sets of Avon's were at that mileage. It would be a great tire if they could get rid of the noise and vibration. I also wear earplugs but the noise is still bothersome.

OP
OP
mlheck

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
No, I don't have a top box. The ST1300 has never been the most stable ride in heavy turbulence in my opinion, and the PR-2's make it worse. On the open road in clean air, I don't notice the squirm near as much. Guess I'll have to see how long they last and then make a judgement.

Bike
ST1300 '08
after riding today in strong Oklahoma crosswinds, I am more certain that you can't judge tires for handling until the suspension is right. just sayin'. finally did the Sonics as I've posted above, got the rear end dialed in (stock shock but now set right), and there is no squirm with my PR2's, the bike is rock steady on corners of all kinds, and the crosswinds are now something I am aware of but not so effected by. I attribute most of this to the improved suspension...

YOMV

cheers -

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
after riding today in strong Oklahoma crosswinds, I am more certain that you can't judge tires for handling until the suspension is right. just sayin'. finally did the Sonics as I've posted above, got the rear end dialed in (stock shock but now set right), and there is no squirm with my PR2's, the bike is rock steady on corners of all kinds, and the crosswinds are now something I am aware of but not so effected by. I attribute most of this to the improved suspension...

YOMV

cheers -
+100, you'll be chasing your tail for months if you are trying to solve a poor suspension set up swapping tires instead. My bike has the sonics (front), Race Tech gold valves (front and rear) and Race Tech 1200# spring (rear). No squirm with either PR2 or PR3 period.

OP
OP
mlheck

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I saw your post about the sonic springs. I don't disagree that they may help with the squirm, but I'm not going to spend allot of money on suspension parts just to make this brand of tires feel right. I never had the squirm with the stock tires, but the wear mileage wasn't the best. It appears that I can't have my cake and eat it too.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I appears that I can't have my cake and eat it too.
Well you can actually, just not cheaply. Sonics are a good start though, only about $100 for a set I think, then take some time to get the stock rear shock dialed in as possible.

Bike
ST1300 '08
MLHeck, I hear ya. I never had the "squirm" with the stock tires either. Had a PR2 on the back first, didn't notice anything, good or bad.. just seemed "fine." Then, I got caught last summer in a multi-hour BAD rainstorm, really bad winds, trucks pulled over, marooned in western KS, on my way home, middle of the night, should have stopped, but there was nowhere to stop. I was in the middle of nowhere. So I kept going. The weather was AWFUL but the bike was fine. Would it have been "as fine" with a BattleAx on the back? Who knows.. my guess is, yes. But again, I don't know.

as for being worth it to have PR2's?? I am probably not the rider to take the ST to its limits. On the other hand, there is some comfort in knowing that I have first rate tires on the bike. The Sonic springs were $86, plus a liter of oil. So, IMO, for all the dough I spend on "stuff" for the bike, having the handling be its best IS worth it. Yes, it took some effort taking it apart, and I was not sure what I was doing.. but I did it and it was not that big of a deal to do the work. The bonus there is, now I know that part of my bike better and will not fear taking it apart again if for some reason I need to. Again, for me, a plus.

I am really satisfied that my already-excellent bike is even better now. I am really eager to take the next big trip, knowing I'll be that more rock solid in the wind, on all kinds of roads, behind trucks, etc.. Win/Win/Win for me.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Aside from the beginning the PR2 squirm isn't a big deal. They could be numb and noisy like the first gen PR1s were.

I am no expert but I have been around long enough to hear several fixes for squirm to take them with a grain of salt. Tire selection, tire pressures, preload amount, fork braces, springs, valving, and head bearings all have been prescribed to work. Perhaps they do. All that matters is that they work for the prescriber.

Kelly Cox

SilverSTreak II
Just switched from Avon's to PR2's yesterday and only have about 50 miles on them. Was surprised to read that you're having squirmy problems. I've already been up to triple digits and have not noticed any abnormal noise or squirm. You could have a set of duds; you might want to consider taking them to the place where you had them mounted and see if they can check balance, etc.

Top Bottom