I Love/Hate my PR-2s

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
I am on my first set of PR-2s and at this point I have a love/hate relationship with them. I hate the way they feel all squirmy on the interstate, but I love the way they stick in the corners. I love the wear that I am getting from them, but I hate the noise.

Some say the squirmy feeling goes away after awhile. I have about 5000 miles on them and they still squirm on the interstate. I also think that I have just gotten use to some of the squirm. When I haven't ridden for a couple of days, I notice it right away again when I get back on the bike.

I had a chance to get the bike up to triple digits speeds today and the tires were louder than the wind noise. I can always hear the front tire, but they were really loud at speed. Before you ask, yes they have the right air pressure, 42psi frt. & rear.

I will do some reading when I need to replace them to see if there is a better choice in the same mileage range. I know that a lot of you love them, and that's why I tried them. So far it has not been the kind of relationship that I was hoping for.

Bike
03 ST1300 89 pc
I just put on a set of pr2s not sure about the squirmy thing but sure love the corner thing only 250 miles on mine

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
As you read these threads you'll soon realize there is no perfect tire for our bikes. Michelin is typically at the top for longevity. Others may get the nod on strictly handling performance ratings but the PRII is a decent all arounder. Noisy for sure! I, for one, am not a fan of dual compound tires. Sell us a hard compound for the mileage lovers and sell us a soft compound for the knuckle, I mean knee draggers. :D

Bike
2006 ST1300
I wasn't impressed with the mileage I got out of my front PR2. I went 12k miles on my previous Storm 2, but only got 7k out of the PR2. I did like how it handled, but won't go back due to the short life. I'll see how my current Metzeler lasts, and if it doesn't last as well as I like, I'll either try a 'wing rear tire (as someone else is currently trying), or go back to a Storm 2. I'll never run another Avon on the rear, but I was happy with it on the front, other than the typical Avon wiggle. I can live with that for 5k extra miles.

Jim

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'm getting ready to put on my 6th(?) set, lost count, I'll have to look at my maintenance book for how many sets I've put on. Before the PR2s, I was using the PRs for a few sets.

I have had pretty good luck with them. For one thing, I don't pay attention to the noise anymore, so that doesn't bother me. As for the squirm, CA freeways have grooves in them. Those will make any tire squirm! Needless to say, I don't pay attention to that either!

Just ride and see what you think after you wore them out. If you aren't sure, try some thing else.

Bike
06 ST
I don't like the PR2 tire noise either. Sounds like a bearing race that is failing, kinda of a buzz/hum. I wear ear plugs and can the tire noise with my ear plugs in. Come to think bout it, I guess I have noticed a little squirm too. Feels like the bike is not tracking straight solidly, just a slight float/drift. I am not into hard corners, CO just has to much small stones/pebbles that are like small ball bearings. I have drifted out in corners, lost traction more that once. Dave B.

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
I have about 250 miles on my new front PR2. After 7200 miles the stock front was way gone. After installing the PR2 I went for a ride to scuff 'em in. The old tire lunged into lean angle on curvies, quickly at first, then held at the angle you wanted. The new tire lean in, is very linier, its a smooth, effortless, transition from straight up to OH ****!!! but stuck like glue the whole time. I didn't notice any wiggle or noise, but I have a Scala Q2 Pro with my MP3 jammin'. I like the tire and waiting for the rear Roadsmart to wear out. I had a flat at 1500 miles that took out the stock rear. Would like to hear feedback about the PR3's.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
I like everything about the PR2s but the noise. Very loud front tire. But they stick nicely, turn in well and no wiggle on the slab for me.

Bike
18 Gold Wing
STOC #
I'm on my second set of PR2s and they have done better than both the Bridgstones and a set of Metzler ZR6s that I tried. The front tire does have a peculiar roar to it after it gets a few thousand miles on it but I've got used to that. Best all around tire I have had on the ST so far for my style of riding.

BleST

Bill S T
Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Would like to hear feedback about the PR3's.
I just got a new pair of PR3s. I love them so far! 400 miles that is. No noise, but I do feel a bit of a squirm on the freeway compared to the old Bridgestones. Very nice and sticky on the curves. I just scrubbed them in on a trip to the Tail of the Dragon. I went easy at first, but didn't even feel like I needed to. The really nice thing I noticed is the new tires fixed the shake I was experiencing at about 45 mph and no more pulling to the right. That squirm is weird tho, especially in dirty air. I hope I get some mileage out of them, I'll post when I wear them out!

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
The PR2s on our ST are awesome, loads better than the stock Dunlops, I don't notice road noise or highway squirm and cannot help but get excited about how they grip up around the bends. I've a spare set on the shelf and just got a new set for the Blackbird. :D

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Hmmmph. Never noticed any squirm on my PR2s or the current PR2 front PR3 rear combination. I can't hear any noise from them either, I always wear ear plugs though. I've noticed the rear PR3 rides smoother than the PR2.

Bike
05 ST1300
Last year, I bought my 05 (used) with pr2's on it. They looked really new when I got it and I thot I'd be good for a while in the tire dep't. Maybe they had more miles on them than I thot when I bought the bike, but I only got about 5000 km on them. They were quiet as long as you were straight up, but as soon as there was any lean at all, they would start to howl. They got noisier and noisier the more worn they were, but it didn't really bother me. The howl was there all right, but it didn't overpower any other noise. But they sure were an awesome tire for sticking - wet or dry; never any slip at all; and when it's dry I often ride real hard. I turn completely chicken as soon as it's wet, tho, so I'm not the guy to ask about wet traction.

I've got a set of BT023's on it now and they seem to be every bit as good for traction, without the noise. I've got about 8000 km's on them now, and they look like they'll last another 3-5000.

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
The PR2's do have some noise. It was not something I really hated because they stuck so well in the corners. I did not have the "squirm" that some people feel. I know the first question is air pressure. My first question is do you have a top box? It has been my observations that ST's with a top box has a little more wiggle going down the road on the freeways. The top box will change the way a bike rides. I can feel the difference around the parking lot at the shop. Stock vs top box.

I have no input on the PR3's but that they should sound different. They have changed the pattern on the front just a little. Wear should be the same since they really didn't change much but the tread pattern.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
It's weird. My last set had the squirm but the set before that didn't. Even w/o the top box they had it. Have over 10K miles and the front looks like it will easily go another 2K, rear probably another 1K or so and I'm not easy on tires.

I have a set of PR3's ready to put on soon. If these have the squirm I'll be switching to something else. The noise isn't an issue as I wear earplugs and listen to music.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
The PR3's generate some noise, but it's nothing outrageous. Like most anything, to get something, you have to give something. The tread pattern provides great grip, but at the cost of some noise. I installed Michelin "Hydro-Edge" tires on my '04 Accord a few years back. They too generate some noise, but they grip and corner extremely well, even in really wet conditions. I'll tollerate the noise in exchange for the performance they provide.

Bike
06 ST
Michelin Tire Noise: My wife's Accord has factory installed Michelin's. They are noisier than "H"..!! If on the slab running in the "Yuppie Ruts from all the Euro Boxes" I can harly hear the radio or conversation in the car. If I move over out of the "Yuppie Ruts" they quiet down my 50% or so. I don't Michelin is making the tire they once did. They used to be 25% more expensive that other tires, but always had the great mileage wear and balance. Dave B. Denver

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Honda cages are infamous for their excess road noise, so that's part of the equation too. It was noticeable enough when we test drove and CRV and a Rav4 that my wife rejected the CRV. I've also seen this Honda road noise complaint in numerous road tests and model evaluations across a number of Honda cage models.

Bike
2012 GL 1800
STOC #
I love my PR 2’s. I only hear a little noise when I have it leaned over in a turn. There could be noise when not in a turn, but I wear ear plugs all the time and do not notice it. It has been said in another thread, Southern California roads are ****. Any tire that I have had has some weave. I do not notice it when I am on road trips out of the state. I love the mileage. Last set I got 16,000 miles out of the front and 14,000 out of the rear. Will put my last set of PR 2’s on in the spring and then will be looking forward to the PR 3’s. They work for me and my riding style.

Top Bottom