Duluth Fire Hose Work Pants

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Hi, East;
The fire hose pants, is the fabric thicker (how much thicker) than unwashed denim? Or if you have any thick canvas work pants, is it thicker than that?
I checked the other day and sears have some pants, %100 cotton and hard non washed fabric, but the material is the same thickness with lewis denim. So I believe it is not more sturdier but just non washed so it will last maybe %10 more than regular denim.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
All you ballroom dancers better be sure and buy yourself some of that Longtail too.

[video=youtube;oTBfRExOMv8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTBfRExOMv8&feature=player_embedded[/video]

John

R.I.P. - 2024/01/22
Rest In Peace
Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
All you ballroom dancers better be sure and buy yourself some of that Longtail too.

[video=youtube;oTBfRExOMv8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTBfRExOMv8&feature=player_embedded[/video]
But Ray, if they all did that, where would they put their pencils? It also wouldn't be the same when they licked the end of the pencil to make sure it would make a legible mark!!!

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I was surprised to see this topic. Particularly since I have two pairs of these pants. One normal, one with flannel lining. Since buying these, I've also been completely sold on the Duluth Trading "Ballroom" jeans. I have two pairs of those now too. Nothing flashy, but very comfortable.

Back to the firehose pants. Mine are three years old. They hold up really well. I still haven't seen any fraying and only a little fading. Oddly, the lined ones I have are sort of pinkish, where the un-lined ones are a true carmel/tan.

Unfortunately, these pants may hold up a little too well, actually. The firehose material has not broken in for me. Not a bit. With jeans, they will sort of "conform" to your butt after a few weeks of wear. This firehose material will not be anything other the the shape it was stitched in when it was first delivered. Also, the weave is a bit tighter than jean material. Less wind gets through, so they're a tad warmer than an equivalent pair of jeans. This actually makes them a bit nicer for riding around town than jeans.

So, all in all, I think they're a great pair of riding and work pants, but they do lack the "break in" that makes jeans great. For that, though, I buy the ballroom jeans, and those satisfy my need for comfy, tough jeans.
How much thicker these fire hose pants material compared to a lewis denim or a dockers work pants. Or should I say "will it protect better from a fall compared to the others?"
Thanks

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
I have a pair of those. Bought 'em after a couple pairs of denim & firehose pants. Great pants but they are stiffer than denim & pass less air through them than denim. I'll be wearing them to 666STOC this weekend under my mesh Motoport pants. Good fall/winter gear under mesh pants. I'm even thinking of giving them the "303" treatment for waterproofing.

Actually, I got these for working on cars during the SoCal 'winter'. They are warmer than regular jeans & the Can't Wear 'em Out factor is enticing.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Hi, East;
The fire hose pants, is the fabric thicker (how much thicker) than unwashed denim? Or if you have any thick canvas work pants, is it thicker than that?
I checked the other day and sears have some pants, %100 cotton and hard non washed fabric, but the material is the same thickness with lewis denim. So I believe it is not more sturdier but just non washed so it will last maybe %10 more than regular denim.
How much thicker these fire hose pants material compared to a lewis denim or a dockers work pants. Or should I say "will it protect better from a fall compared to the others?"
Thanks
Guys, I think they're marginally thicker than denim, at best. VFR put it best, above, using the word stiffer. Obviously, if I had to slide down the road in Denim or Fire Hose, I'd take fire hose (neither is a replacement for riding pants, of course).

So, IMO, not as comfy as denim, but sturdier and warmer. I've never checked out Lewis Denim, so I can't speak there. I'm comparing to, say, standard Levi's denim.

PopJack

Die young, after a long life.
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I've got a couple pair of these. I think they are significantly thicker than jeans, but I have never measured them. I love these pants. There was an article in the catalog where a guy said he came off his bike at 45 and the pants did not wear through and I believe him. (He also said they were not riding pants and did not recommend the test).

They have some water resistance as well as wind resistance and in cool weather and even short hops in light rain I have really enjoyed them.

Concerning the company, I tell people this- I have never ordered anything from Duluth Trading that I didn't think cost too much (hats, gloves, pants, jackets). That said, I've never ordered anything that I wasn't glad I ordered. YMMV

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Just got an email that says $20 off any order of 75 or more...

So if you are going to order.... LINKY
(yeah this should go in discounts; but, the link is all about these pants).

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
I do want to give a pair of those a chance. I don't do any serious work outdoors, so I don't NEED something... but since I mostly ride in jeans, they could be useful.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Wear them for the rest of your life!
(as long as you could keep your waist size steady!)

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
lol, I think it's 20% off your entire order of $75 or more. lol

Bike
2004 ST1300
I have a couple of pairs. Well made and comfortable. Note that the work pants with the cargo pockets are a bit lighter material than the fire hose jeans (13.5 oz fabric if I remember correctly). For riding protection I would go with the jeans as they are cheaper, fit about the same and provide a bit more protection from wind and cold. I don't find that I used the cargo pockets very often. Regarding abrasion protection, I suspect the weave and weight makes them better than regular denim jeans. Fortunately I have not tested their crash-worthiness this is just a guess.

BTW, thier windproof fleece vests are great for layering under a textile riding suit in winter.

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
I love those pants. I have several pairs.
With Cargo Pockets:
The original Fire Hose work pants, too heavy for Florida in the summer.
Blue Jeans with cargo pockets, fairly heavy too.
Duluth Flex work pants, much lighter
W/O Cargo Pockets:
Blue Jeans, nice to wear for riding
Duluth Flex Jeans, light weight pants made like jeans. Great pants for Florida in the summer.

Top Bottom