Headlight Bulbs

Bike
Honda ST1100
I bought my 1998 ST1100 15 months ago. The odometer was reading 76,000 kilometers.
It now reads 120,000 km. The right headlight bulb burned 3 months ago; the left one two months later. Both were original Honda. They were replaced with jobber's at a cost of $23.50 each time. (The original Honda bulb was $35.00.)
Now the right one is burned again. I can buy a Chinese one for $5.00 but if it lasts just a few months I am better to pay $35.00 and have peace of mind for a long time.
Auto parts stores sell H4 automobile bulbs but the one that will fit is 60/55 watts. The original is 45/45 watts.
Has anyone used these as replacement.
The bike does not have any added load taking accessory.
Thanks for any help with this matter.

The Cheese

I've got Silverstar Ultras in my 11. H4. Don't remember the wattage. I used the adapter rings as well. They are very bright. Lights the road better than my truck. Some people that I have rode with have commented they were noticeably bright. I highly recommend them.

I have heard some say rings were a must. They align the bulb correctly. Others have said don't waste your time. I have no idea which is right. Judge for your self when you change em. And I do believe it is the lower two tabs that must be cut off. A sharp pair of side cutters take quick care of that.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Not only will the standard and appropriately modified H4 bulbs (and shims) from your local auto parts shop be far cheaper, you will immediately notice the vastly superior illumination at night from the increased wattage. You can get the + H4 bulbs for around $10 each almost anywhere. No worries about burdening the electrical system as Honda equips Euro models from the factory with the 55/60W lamps.

JPKalishek

Armadillo Kicker
Bike
2 '91 ST 1100
I've used both the PIAA 100/110 (55/60 amp draw) and the top line Sylvanias. Doing some work on the bike when I crashed it, I pulled the modified bulbs out, and dremeled the housing to allow using the standard H4/9003 tabs still in place.
Before that I just cut the lower tabs and put them in. Had no issues.
One does need to crimp the little centering tabs flat between the two lower tabs though, and iirc this needs doing when using the adapters too.
The PIAA bulbs were a bit brighter than the Silver Ultra, but they only lasted about the same time. So from here on out unless I get another great deal (I only paid $40 for the pair of PIAA bulbs on eBay) I will stick the the top line Sylvania. plus replacements are at Walmart so no waiting.

I tried to use a DRL LED in one side for a lower amp draw but they got hot enough to melt the plug, and vibration killed them quickly.
I got a pair of replacement bulb plugs from O'Reilly's

CST

I ride, therefore I am.
Bike
2010 ST1300A
STOC #
You do not need shims to fit H4 bulbs on an ST, just cut the two smaller tabs on the NEW bulbs flush with the edge of the bulb flange leaving the wider tab in place. The wider tab will index the bulbs in place. The wire bail that holds the bulbs in place rests against the flange, not the tabs. Voila', perfect fit.

Kim STOC 3073

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
You do not need shims to fit H4 bulbs on an ST, just cut the two smaller tabs on the NEW bulbs flush with the edge of the bulb flange leaving the wider tab in place. The wider tab will index the bulbs in place. The wire bail that holds the bulbs in place rests against the flange, not the tabs. Voila', perfect fit.

Kim STOC 3073
Ummmmm . . . . this thread is five years old and the OP has (had) an 1100. The last time he was here was 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100Y
This is pretty basic are both headlights on a ST 1100 on all the time on low beam
Actually no, my 2000(ST1100Y Pan Euro model) came new out of the box from honda factory with only 1 side of the bulb on low, when the headlight switch is turned on.
I can't rem which side is default on(think it's the left sitting on the bike), had to ask my mech to modify it to turn on both bulbs on low.
On high, both are on.

Bike
Honda 2002 1100
My mechanic noticed that one light wasn't lit and he thought that they should both be lit on low beam I dropped the little screw that holds retainer clip inside the headlight assembly itself what a nightmare virtually rebuilt the entire motorcycle to shake those screws out

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Actually no, my 2000(ST1100Y Pan Euro model) came new out of the box from honda factory with only 1 side of the bulb on low, when the headlight switch is turned on.
I can't rem which side is default on(think it's the left sitting on the bike), had to ask my mech to modify it to turn on both bulbs on low.
On high, both are on.
Euro models are different than North American models. Here, both bulbs are on all the time, whether high or low beam. Has to do with lighting regulations in the different jurisdictions.

Top Bottom