Article [13] ST1300 - Brake Bleed Procedure [VIDEO]

Raj_Zin

AKA Steve
Bike
FJR1300A
STOC #
Nice work! I did have to chuckle a little at the "passenger side/ driver side" references. :)
Thanks for your effort.

-STeve

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Just a little note... With the vaccum bleeder it is possible to pull small bubbles thru the threads of the bleeder stem. Easy fix is to teflon tape the threads at the time of a full bleed/change.
( btw, not needed when pumping only )

RONST1300

STOC # 8616
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Great job, I would just add for 1st timers that Step 3a is crucial. Right at the base of the p in caliper is the nodule that has to be at 12 O Clock. To get it right I finally had to bleed it at 1 and 11 O Clock to get the air out of there after a SMC replacement. This would have been a great help if I had found it. My question is how do you keep that bike so clean? Do you steam clean it or something?
Ron

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
This is excellent, I appreciate your effort to publish this!
If it's helpful, I found I could get to the PCV bleeder without removing the right fairing. After raising the tank I was able to get a wrench on the bleeder from up above and I got a hose onto the bleeder from underneath, through the side hole in the fairing.

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
Dumb question. The video on bleeding the PCV mentions "pumping the secondary master cylinder". He also mentions pumping the front and rear brake lever and pedal. How do you pump the SMC? Is that not done by operating the Front and/or Rear brake lever/pedal?

Scott

Bike
2004 ST1300
I'm a bit confused about the SMC. Is this just on the ABS equipped models or all ST1300??
Nice work on the video and instructions.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm a bit confused about the SMC. Is this just on the ABS equipped models or all ST1300??
Nice work on the video and instructions.
No, the SMC is part of the Honda linked brake setup and is on all ST1300s regardless of ABS or not.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks for the video, finished flushing my fluids today. All went well, replaced rear pads. Front pads are still great, I am going to wait a few months and check them again. Old brake fluid was very brown compared to new. Found several rust/crud flakes in the old fluid. Hardest part was removing the plastic to access the proportioning valve.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
If I may ask a dumb question... what is the PCV? I know that as Positive Crankcase Ventilation, but here, I assume it refers the Proportioning Control Valve. Is that right?

I had never heard of an SMC (secondary master cylinder) before. What is its function?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
If I may ask a dumb question... what is the PCV? I know that as Positive Crankcase Ventilation, but here, I assume it refers the Proportioning Control Valve. Is that right?

I had never heard of an SMC (secondary master cylinder) before. What is its function?
Yes you are correct about the PCV. It divides rear pedal pressure between front and rear calipers with a bias toward the fronts.

The secondary master cylinder provides pressure to the rear caliper when the front brake lever is applied. It is the mechanism that Honda uses to link the front brake to the rear brake. There is no shared hydraulic circuit to do this but rather a mechanical one. The left brake caliper is mounted on a bracket that pivots on a lug on the lower left fork slider. THe SMC is on the top of the left front caliper bracket and is aligned fore and aft with a short clevis and pushrod that fixes to a second lug near the top of the fork slider. When the front brake lever is applied the LF caliper pivots forward a few millimeters and since the pushrod is fixed in length it applies pressure into the secondary master cylinder. Pressure is sent to the rear caliper when the front wheel is turning and the front brake is applied. The front wheel has to be turning.

If you don't mind lying on the floor next to your motorcycle you can test the SMC action. Lay down with your head toward the front in such a way you can push the rear wheel with your right foot, causing it to turn. While pushing the rear wheel, reach up and push the left front caliper forward. It won't move much, a few mm, but in doing so the center pistons in the rear caliper will press against the rear disk and stop the wheel from turning (applying brake).

Last edited:
Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Yes you are correct about the PCV. It divides rear pedal pressure between front and rear calipers with a bias toward the fronts.

The secondary master cylinder provides pressure to the rear caliper when the front brake lever is applied. It is the mechanism that Honda uses to link the front brake to the rear brake. There is no shared hydraulic circuit to do this but rather a mechanical one. The left brake caliper is mounted on a bracket that pivots on a lug on the lower left fork slider. THe SMC is on the top of the left front caliper bracket and is aligned fore and aft with a short clevis and pushrod that fixes to a second lug near the top of the fork slider. When the front brake lever is applied the LF caliper pivots forward a few millimeters and since the pushrod is fixed in length it applies pressure into the secondary master cylinder. Pressure is sent to the rear caliper when the front wheel is turning and the front brake is applied. The front wheel has to be turning.

If you don't mind lying on the floor next to your motorcycle you can test the SMC action. Lay down with your head toward the front in such a way you can push the rear wheel with your right foot, causing it to turn. While pushing the rear wheel, reach up and push the left front caliper forward. It won't move much, a few mm, but in doing so the center pistons in the rear caliper will press against the rear disk and stop the wheel from turning (applying brake).
Great explanation. I can understand that. Thanks.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Have to admit, I listed to and watched this video about 3 times to get his 'front caliper, drivers side/passenger side down pat.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I think I'll do a video and use lee/weather side and post a sock.
Hey, my friend, you are going to be using the wrong terminology. Gee! and Haw! are what you should use. Haven't you ever driven a sled with dogs?

Top Bottom