Russell Day-Long 1 Month Later

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
Finally had the time and weather good enough to take a ride Sunday with the brand new RDL saddle. I absolutely love it already! I'm 6'3" so even with the the seat set on high and the new saddle built to sit me about 1 inch taller than stock, I can still flat foot when stopped. I instinctively slide forward a bit when looking to put my feet down so maybe this is also helping. I also set the back of the rider seat down on the middle blocks to keep from sliding forward unintentionally while braking. The seat is very comfortable while underway and after trying it on Sunday I find I can still stand on the pegs to stretch my hamstrings and straighten my knees if need be. Actually, with the wings of the seat I feel somewhat supported at the back of my knees while standing and therefor feel even more secure while standing. My arthritic knees appreciate the lesser bend while sitting due to the increased height and it does not adversely effect my lean angle or reach to the bars. If anything I feel like I am sitting a little more correct, more upright. I am more comfortable and I like it. The seat also looks great with the light gray leather top and black vinyl sides that really matches my 07 silver ST13 very nicely. Top knotch construction and very nice that I was able to get it on the Goldwing Riders forum group buy for a 20% disccount. I did not get a backrest as for me they take away from my comfort not add to it...different strokes and all that. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this saddle, worth every single penny! Can't imagine it can get much better than it already is after a break-in period, it really is that good already.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
Gordon,

I feel as you do about the wings on the ST and using it as a tool. For a very long day on the saddle I will use it and it is comfortable but the wings and the perched up high riding position put me back on the stock saddle most of the time. Does anyone else have a problem with this raised seating position of the Russell? It feels like I'm sitting several inches higher then the stock seat and getting used to it after changing seats feels strange for a while. The stock seat seems to get you lower and it feel like a more natural riding position for this motorcycle with a lower center of gravity. I sent my stock seat back this winter to have Spencer work it over with the Supracor treatment. Hopefully for all but the really long trips this will do the trick. If I had to use the Russell everyday it wouldn't be long before it was gone.

Pat

OP
OP
Ilbikes

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
Pat, I don't get that elevated affect. I have mine lowered down all of the way and it's about the same as my Sargent. The only complaint I have is that the very structure that supports my legs and thighs gets in the way when I come to a stop. The science is straight forward - the Russell gives you about 3 times the surface area to support your weight and that keeps the demons away. I have tried stock, stock with sheepskin, stock with Airhawk, a new Sargent, with and without the Airhawk, sheepskin - none of those increased the surface area and support. Too hard, too soft, just right - all will get to me in about 2 hours and by 3 hours I want to give my motorcycle away. The Russell is a game changer and most agree, a "tool" for when you want to spend a lot of time in the saddle. If they changed it to remove that thigh support, we'd have another 3 hour seat. It is surface area, not magic foams, inserts, shapes, materials - just the square inches of seat holding me up.

I also like the back rest as it takes some of the load off my arms and keeps my posture upright. It is a pain to get on the bike with it, but again it's a tool.

Gordon

Bike
07 ST1300A
Pat, Initially I did, but I took out the rubber bump stop in the front that rests on the metal height adjustment. To me, it felt close to the oem seat height. I also sat on another st w/stock seat and felt the heights were pretty close. Its just the oem is softer and you sink down some.

OP
OP
Ilbikes

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
I spent 4 days touring the Smokeys, Tellico Plains, Deals Gap, and Skyway this weekend. There were 5 of us on the camping trip and all had different bikes, so we did a lot of trading rides. 1,000 miles of twisty roads, every meal on a different road, and I was always glad to get back on the ST with my Russell Day Long saddle. I cannot say enough about this seat - it is just that good. If there is any advice I could give, it would be that before you spend the money on other pads, cushions, or seats - buy the Russell and be done with chasing after something you can live with.

Regards, Gordon

Bike
st1300, xr250
Last Friday I went on a tag ride that turned into much more than I ever thought it would be. I rode 475 miles with out ever thinking that my butt is burning like it did with the stock seat or Spencer seat.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Is it possible to get just the driver seat only with the backrest. I never have a passenger on behind I think wifey don't trust me or something.

OP
OP
Ilbikes

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
You could give Russell a call, but my backrest fits into a special steel/metal pocket they supply and bolt into the rear seat. The shape and construction of the driver's seat would not support the backrest the way I see it. Mine is simply a recover of the stock foam and not the Russell designed bottom. My cost were the 100% leather upper and lower, the heavy-duty suspension (I'm 240). If you go with vinyl, the cost comes down considerably. You can see the slot below. Just behind that is a heavy metal sleeve that receives the backrest.

Regards, Gordon

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Any pillion reviews on the RDL?
My fiance did 6 hours strait on our Russell with no complaints at all our only stop was for gas. I only wish I had bought the Russell before I went through all the other things I have tried. She can even fall asleep back there.

OP
OP
Ilbikes

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
I'm not going to take photos nor am I going to pay for photos that someone took of my butt on the Russell :) So you'll have to follow the link to see those on the 129Slayer website. I am the fellow in the yellow/green hi-vis jacket, white helmet, and the Red 09 ST with the Hondaline topbox. This is the "why" the RDL works - just math. They have effectively doubled the area that you sit on and put you just where you wanted to be using the photos and details you send with the order. We were on a 4 day tent camping trip staying at Iron Horse at night, then each day we'd burn the miles riding several different roads and having lunch somewhere different every day. I left my backrest at home on this trip, but with it I can honestly say that I can sit on the bike as long as I could my car. The seat is just like nothing else I've ever tried. The weather was a crisp 42 degrees that morning, so full Gerbing jacket liner and toasty gloves were necessary.

These folks are smarter than me, somehow they prevent me from "saving" the picture to my computer. They want to get paid for their Saturdays sitting on the Dragon snapping photos.. Gordon

http://129slayer.photoreflect.com/store/ThumbPage.aspx?e=8515024&g=1WPV00BI00

Last edited:
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
My fiance did 6 hours strait on our Russell with no complaints at all our only stop was for gas. I only wish I had bought the Russell before I went through all the other things I have tried. She can even fall asleep back there.
My wife can and does fall asleep on the Russell. I got the full rebuild for her with the wings. She says it is very comfortable and not much slide forward as the stock seat. We usually do all day rides with no wimpering from the back..:)

Bike
ST1300
last year I bought the Russell Day long. I remembered having the original daylong on my 83 wing . I was Not disappointed! My wife who was hard to get to go along with me on rides was skeptical to say the least. My only concern was the height at stops. When I ordered mine I expressed my concerns to them. After discussing it they said they could and would give me room to slide forward so my feet would reach at stops. Simply Wonderful !! Finally a seat that was comfortable! My wife took her first ride and then the next and is again my co-pilot. A 3500 mile trip last fall and we are both ready to go again.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
last year I bought the Russell Day long. I remembered having the original daylong on my 83 wing . I was Not disappointed! My wife who was hard to get to go along with me on rides was skeptical to say the least. My only concern was the height at stops. When I ordered mine I expressed my concerns to them. After discussing it they said they could and would give me room to slide forward so my feet would reach at stops. Simply Wonderful !! Finally a seat that was comfortable! My wife took her first ride and then the next and is again my co-pilot. A 3500 mile trip last fall and we are both ready to go again.
Another satisfied customer.
A custom seat is worth it in my book!! :D

Bike
2005 ST1300
Glad you like your RDL.

Had mine for about 4,000 miles now. I love it. I had not been able to go more than an hour and a half without pain for the last 5 years (2 bikes) now I can go as far as the rest of my body and mind will hold up with no butt pain.:D I have gotten used to the wings but I don't do much stop n go, mostly long stuff. I have the leather tops and vinyl sides.

I am 6,2" w/34" inseam.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
What is your inseam? I have the ST1100 that may be a little taller than the 1300, but I have the Daytona M-Star boots that probably add a little over an inch to normal boots, the lower Works shock, 60 series rear tire, and I've lowered the front 1/2 inch. I have a 28 inch inseam. I can now flat foot it and don't want to lose that ability.

Last trip out the Corbin with a sheepskin was killing me. I know a Russell Sport would work, but I don't know about the Day Long.

Bike
2018 GL1800 Airbag
STOC #
I'm going to take a chance. My production date is December 9th. I'm getting driver only, vinyl, half moon, backrest and heat. I get their 15% Holiday discount!

Last edited:
Bike
2007 GL1800
STOC #
I'm going to take a chance. My production date is December 9th. I'm getting driver only, vinyl, half moon, backrest and heat. I get their 15% Holiday discount!
I took the plunge two years ago for my RDL. I too felt like it was a gamble. But, all I can say now is, it's the most fantastic improvement in comfort. I've taken several long and multi-day trips all without pain or discomfort. The RDL has made motorcycling enjoyable. Gone are the days of "enduring the agony."

If you followed their instructions, you will be amazed at how they are able to produce such a comfortable seat. And, be sure to put on the 1000 miles before deciding whether you like the seat or not. Some have complained about the "wings" making it difficult to reach the ground when stopping. When I first rode with my RDL I could feel what others had described, but, learned that it was something that was easily overcome. And in a very short time I no longer noticed it.

Top Bottom