Russell Day-Long 1 Month Later

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
Guys, I had hoped I could give my review of the new Russell after my 700+ miles of Blueridge Parkway riding during the last week of October, but early snow and the threat of area closures kept the trip off until next year.

I have managed to do about 1,000 miles on the Russell, one of those was a 6 hour trip and several 2+ hours in-between. I am a cronic whiner. There, I've said it. My stock seat was ok for 1~1.5 hours and then it would get real bad real quick. The problem is that it felt like 90% of my weight was supported on a narrow section of groin and tailbone. The Sargent that I purchased within 1,000 miles of buying the bike brand-new helped the groin area issue a lot, but places 90% of my weight on a hard surface area of about 10" x 5" where the butt cheeks start hating me and the bike before the 3 hour mark. I like the Sargent much better than the stock seat, but it's surface is hard and my tail did not fit it's shape.

The Russell Day-Long is just heaven for long distance. It is hands-down the difference between enjoying a long ride and being miserable. I intentionally filled the tank and skipped the 2nd cup of coffee on the morning I did the 6 hour ride. For the first time since I have been riding (40+ years), I stayed on a bike for over 3 hours straight. I am serious when I say that my tank, or my bladder would need fluid attention before my seat. I reached a friend's construction site where I was going to help him do some framing of his new shop. I gladly looked forward to the return home too. I am absolutely confident that I can now sit on this bike for 8~12 hours easily.

Now there is a downside. Everything the Russell is for comfort while sitting - it is miserable for stop-n-go traffic for me. Those wings and extra-wide sitting area that support 100% of your butt and thighs while your feet are on the pegs are in the way big-time when you stop and need to put your feet down. I've lost maybe 2" of ground reach because when I have the Russell, my legs won't simply rech down - they have to reach outward. Even sliding up to the tank when stepping down does not solve the issue.

The end result is that I must keep my Sargent for daily rides and commutes. It's ground reach and reasonable comfort are fine for 1-2 hour rides. The Russell Day-Long is a tool. A long-distance tool for when I have somewhere I want or need to go and that journey will have me sitting for 3 hours at one time or 10 hour days for two weeks later this next summer - I no longer worry about my whining because I have found the best thing this side of my Chevy Tahoe's seat for the long distance work. Yes, I am a happy camper. For me, the Russell fits me as well as the ST1300 fits long-distance touring.

Regards, Gordon

Bike
99 ST1100
That's very high on my wish list. Who needs to put their feet on the ground anyway?:D

Did you have the passenger seat done as well? Any feedback from the pillion?

TinyL

Wingin It
Bike
2010 Wing
STOC #
Boy that looks like a mirror reflection of my old seat. "The DAN" is the new owner...hope he likes it as much as you. Getting the Wing seat done in Jan...can't wait!

Fortunet 1

Fortunet1
Bike
06 ST 1300
Thanks for your honest evaluation. I've sat on a Daylong and got that impression about the wings being a touchdown problem. I don't think I've ever heard someone say it quite so candidly as you.

Maybe the comfort of the long ride is so overwhelmingly good that they couldn't bring themselves to fault it in any way. Personally if I had the money I would do exactly what you said....Use the daylong for that
ultra long planned ride, and the other for shorter ones. I am quite happy with the seat that others say is too hard and hated it. The best way to describe comfort across the board is that its the three bears
tale. Pa Pa's bed was too hard...Ma ma's bed was too soft, and baby bears bed was JUST right. Everyone has a different level of comfort. I've yet to try those bead sets...bet those would make a good change up also.
Thanks again !

ScubaDave

Site Supporter
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
I felt the same way with mine when I put it on in June. At the time I was going to do the same and keep my Corbin for all but the longer rides. Then I thought I would give the Russell a chance for a couple of months. I have found that I now no longer want to put the Corbin back on and have sold it. I do not know if it was my getting used to the Russell, or if it just takes many miles to break in the wings. But after 18,000 or so I love it.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I1bikes, your experience with the RDL was my exact experience as well. I'm 5' 8 1/2" and those blasted wings kept me from flat footing the ST, something I never had trouble with when using the stock seat. Unless I was on a long distance trip, I used the stock saddle and put up with the pain. On a LD trip however, the RDL was used. I could literally stay in the saddle all day long and would experience zero butt ache. For long distance riding, it is THE most valuable farkle one can have. It's pricey but worth every single penny! If I ever get back into LD riding, there will be a RDL on my new bike.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
They only use the pan so all else is trashed. Should be no problem.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I have the Russell with the passenger seat and my pillion loves it she can stay back there for 6 hours no problem. With the Sargent she could only go about 150-200 miles.

Bike
2004 st1300
I had Russell cut down the front of the wings a tad and no longer have the problem, just a little second nature slide forward and I can flat foot it again.

OP
OP
Ilbikes

Ilbikes

I love old bikes
Vendor
Bike
09 ST
My turnaround was about 4 weeks including 5~6 days shipping each way between the East/West coast. Once you send them photos and give the details of what you want, you'll be called and given a "build date/order", mine was 9.22.11. You then send your seat so it arrives before that date. Mine shipped back about 11 days later and I had it by the 12th of October. Everything is well done, the quality of materials and workmanship are outstanding. The leather used is thick and should last me as long as I have this bike.

Regards, Gordon

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
My turnaround was about 4 weeks including 5~6 days shipping each way between the East/West coast. Once you send them photos and give the details of what you want, you'll be called and given a "build date/order", mine was 9.22.11. You then send your seat so it arrives before that date. Mine shipped back about 11 days later and I had it by the 12th of October. Everything is well done, the quality of materials and workmanship are outstanding. The leather used is thick and should last me as long as I have this bike.

Regards, Gordon
My experience as well.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I agree 150% with your review!!!!

After my Russell, I bought a stock seat again.

The Russell is hard to beat for a long, long ride, but for the 70% of my total riding in the city during commutes, it wasn't working for me. It spends most of its time on a shelf in the basement, but I don't care. On a rally day or a week-long ride, it's all worth it!

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
if it just takes many miles to break in the wings.
I think there is something to this. I was expecting "nirvana" from my Russell after a thousand miles. I found that it did improve some, butI think it has continued to "break-in" since then. It is now a comfy old friend....love mine now.

Bike
ST1300A
Glad to hear such a positive review. I ordered my RDL last week and they gave me a build date of May 4th. The woman there said it'll be send back to me within 2 weeks of the build date. Should be a welcome farkle for our ride to the the Tail of the Dragon this summer.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've only got a little over 130K on my Russell and I'm still waiting for it to break-in! :eek:4:

Not really!..;)

It is a great saddle and I hope to be getting another with velour covering and put it away for long trips. Velour, as I found out, is not a good covering if the saddle is going to be sitting out much. My leather seems to just fine for that, but there is less sweat with the velour.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I got a slightly used RDL from a fellow forum member and tried it for the first time today. I did about 500 miles, mostly on secondary state roads with some interstate. I see a very slight inconvenience when I have to put my feet down, but I think my long legs (I'm 6'4" tall) help some. The first 20 minutes of the ride left me wondering what all the fuss was about. The seat kept trying to slide me forward of where I was used to sitting with my Corbin, and there seemed to be a big lump at the rear of the seat putting pressure on my tail. I finally stopped and adjusted the seat like many people do with the stocker- I put the front at the high position, and force the rear into the middle height. That helped a lot, but I was still pushed forward some. Finally I just stopped fighting it and used the position it wanted me to be in. That was the hot setup- I was comfortable, all was well with the world, the planets were aligned...and so was my backside. This seat is SOOOO much better than the park-bench my Corbin is! Like others, I'll keep my heated Corbin for shorter rides and commuting, but the RDL will come out any time I know I'll be spending more than an hour in the saddle.

I'm sure it would be even better if I had a new one custom-made for me, but for what this one cost, I'll happily use it until either it wears out, then send it in for refitting.

Jim

Top Bottom