Rackman Highway Wings

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I was changing the oil on my ST1300 today and tried to tighten the right highway wing while I had my tools handy. The right wing is loose and when I tried to tighten it, the bolt just spun around. I sprayed some WD40 on it, but I coudn't get a grip on the top of the bolt to tighten it while I turned the nut on the bottom of the pivot point. Does anyone have a set of Rackman highway wings who could offer some suggestions on how to tighten the right wing?

Thanks,
Tom

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you can get the bolt out, wrap the shoulder with just a little friction tape, tap it back in, then try to tighten it. Also, sometime if you just lift up on the wing, it will grab enough to allow you to tighten the nut.

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
You should need a allen wrench and a std wrench. If you try to tighten without the allen wrench you will only spin the bolt. Did the allen portion get striped out?

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
Guy - The top of the bolt is smooth / flat. Are you saying that there is a "notch" on the bottom of the bolt that will accept an allen wrench?

Phil - I will try your suggestion of lifting up the wing and then trying to tighten the nut.

Bike
Honda GL1800
STOC #
The pivot bolt is called a Hi-loc a common aircraft fastener. On the treaded end there is a hexed hole for an allen wrench. These Hi-locs are on both the 1100 and the 1300 HWY WINGS. Off hand I don't recall the size but it is SAE. So what you are actually doing is putting the wrench on the nut and then inserting the allen wrench in the end of the bolt inside the nut. Just snug it do not over tighten.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
Keith - My faith in these highway wings has been restored. It makes sense that there is an easy way to tighten the wings. Thanks for the info on the "Hi-loc" bolt !!

Bike
Honda GL1800
STOC #
Tom, Glad to have been of help. Not everyone knows what or have ever seen a Hi-loc. Like I said, common in aircraft. Nice to know many are still enjoying something Mike and I came up with for the ST's years ago.

Reg_Siemens

Reg S
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900GT
STOC #
Since the original Highway Wings are apparently no longer being produced, has anyone come up with a simple way of slotting replacement covers?

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Keith-Still using the Wings, ignition lock cover and the GPS holder! My old StreetPilot is still hanging in there. Maps are severely out dated! :D Thanks for the work you and Mike did.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Since the original Highway Wings are apparently no longer being produced, has anyone come up with a simple way of slotting replacement covers?
Reg-I was looking at that the other day. I'm going to talk to a friend the does limited amounts of Machine work.

Top Bottom