Stuck in 2nd

Bike
2002 ST1100
My new to me 2002 ST1100 is stuck in 2nd gear. :( It was shifting fine until I shifted to second for a turn and it would not shift out. It won't go down or up but the shift lever moves and has spring tension. It does not matter if the bike is running, moving or stopped.

I checked the clutch fluid and it looks clean and the level is correct.

The bike has 22.5K miles and 1500 are my miles.

It would be great if someone had an idea since I am stuck at work and will have to have it towed if I can't figure it out.

Thanks

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
first thing I would check is the linkage...its an easy/cheap thing to do. Spay/soak with wd40 or similar while working up/down esp in the joints....
it has happen before to a few bikes.

Next thing is to actually see if the clutch is functioning which you should be able to do if you can start it with the clutch in.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
My new to me 2002 ST1100 is stuck in 2nd gear. :( It was shifting fine until I shifted to second for a turn and it would not shift out. It won't go down or up but the shift lever moves and has spring tension. It does not matter if the bike is running, moving or stopped.

I checked the clutch fluid and it looks clean and the level is correct.

The bike has 22.5K miles and 1500 are my miles.

It would be great if someone had an idea since I am stuck at work and will have to have it towed if I can't figure it out.

Thanks
First thing to do is spray a bit of lubricant (WD40) on the linkage connecting points. They get dirty and can lock up the shifting. If that gets you going then you will need to clean all the pivot points of the shift linkage. Second, look for a broken or bent shift lever. If that is OK You might try new clutch fluid/ bleeding the clutch. After that take to the shop because I don't know anymore.:D

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Just a shot in the dark; but, with the clutch out try rocking the bike back and forth..

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1100
The bike will start with the clutch. I will pull the side cover at lunch and hit the linkage with some WD-40. The shifter is moving smooth but myabe is is the linkage that I cannot see that is causing the problem.

Thanks for the quick response.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
+1 on checking the linkage first. If that's not it then you'll have to go a bit deeper.

If the bike is stuck in gear and you can pull in the clutch lever and move the bike then the issue is not the clutch.

Here's a look at the shifter and drum:
ShifterDrum.jpg
If one of the pins (#24) has broken, this will cause the drum to be stuck in place. The spring (#14) tension is still on the shifter shaft (#12), which will return the shift lever to center when moved up or down.

Here's a video that shows how the shifter drum is rotated by the shifter shaft. Not identical to the ST's, but you get the point.
[video=youtube;voi70IqJJfM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=voi70IqJJfM[/video]

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
If the motor isn't running it doesn't matter if the clutch is engaged or not. As mark suggested rock the bike. The gear dogs could be jammed and the rocking could loosen them.
Eliminate the obvious. Examine the gear shift linkage to make sure it's not slipping on the gear shaft. Look under the bike. If the shaft is moving when the gear lever is moved, the cause is stuck or broken dog or the shift fork is worn or broken. At 22.5K miles probably linkage or stuck dog.

http://www.gadgetjq.com/transmission.htm

Jerseyst

Official Crown Royal TeSTer
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Im in south jersey. Maybe I can help. Where are you located?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I've heard of foreign objects like a stone getting caught in the linkage and causing these symptoms.

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1100
No Luck.

I checked the linkage and it is moving free and attached.

I spun the rear wheel while on the certerstand and rocked the bike back and forth.

Still no shifting. I'm thinking this is going to require the motor to be removed, unless someone else has an idea, and that will have to wait for me to save some money, a lot of money. This really sucks as this is my main vehicle.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
If you get stuck for a ride give me a call, took the cage today.
6091-2061-73361

Remove the ones in the number.
Bot trap.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I spun the rear wheel while on the certerstand and rocked the bike back and forth.

Still no shifting.
Just so I understand:
Rear tire turned freely (not turning the engine over). I thought this would only be possible in neutral..
Stuck in one gear; so, you can't start the bike or you can start the bike with the clutch pulled?

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1100
The rear tire turned the engine over it did not free spin. I rocked it against the gearbox.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Okay, thanks.

I think I would try the rocking again as you might need the weight of the bike involved in the rocking.

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1100
I tried it both ways, on the centerstand and off using the weight of the engine.

Thanks for the ideas

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1100
Alright. So I got it home by wandering around 25mph roads for my 20 mile commute. Not much fun in 2nd in the pouring rain.

Just for ****s and giggles I changed the oil and bled the clutch fluid because it looked a little dark. While I was down there I checked the shift linkage closely and it is not binding anywhere and it is tight

No joy it is still doing the same thing.

Does anyone know for certain that the engine needs to come out to get to the transmission? I don't have a manual yet so I am running blind.

I want to thank Jerseyst for running over and putting another set of eyes on the bike and offering to trailer it home for me. And this was in the rain. Thanks I really appreciate it.

Bike
92 ST1100
Possibly a pin came out of the shift pawl shaft or shift pawl has cocked to outside drum and can't catch the pin to rotate shaft...................looks to be a similar function of most scoots, just in a different configuration than on my XS11, but COULD be an issue in this instance to. The dogs several speak of are what engage in the slots of ajoining gears and have NOTHING to do with this scenario. Your issue I'm betting is with shift assembly itself under shift cover and should not be costly at all to straighten out. From what I've read on here, I don't see this to be an issue with the ST's like it has become on our older Yammy XS11's. Rounded off dogs on them cause popping in and out of gear, violently jerking side- thrust on pawl shaft tends to be the culprit of a pin jerking out on them, and have repaired tranny dogs on gears of several of these scoots. With the helicol cut gears and fairly smooth engagement of the St's gears and dogs, less likely to be an issue, but still possible whatever the cause...............JAT.

Top Bottom