Stuck in 2nd

Jerseyst

Official Crown Royal TeSTer
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
Maybe Randy or George will see this and give some advice. I thought for sure flushing all that old fluid out would help. Did you run the bike a little after fluid change to get the new fluids moving?

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1100
I ran it for about 10 minutes but was a little short of time, family time was more important. The oil was clean and was definitely new as the previous owner said. The clutch fluid was bad but it made no difference in the shifting.

Is the spring for the shifter return internal or external on the pivot point? There is plenty of tension in the shifter as it springs back to center when you let go of it and that would let me know if the internal spring is bad.

I think it is in the shift mechanism as Brant said because it was shifting fine, no noises, and gave no warning at all. I am a fair mechanic and will attempt the shifter, after I get a shop manual, but I'm not sure I'm up to tackling an engine removal and trans rebuild.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Is the spring for the shifter return internal or external on the pivot point? There is plenty of tension in the shifter as it springs back to center when you let go of it and that would let me know if the internal spring is bad.
The return spring is internal. IDK if the shifter mech is accessible without removing the engine. Would probably require at least pulling the fuel tank to get to the back of the engine.

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Checking the YouTube video of an alternator install; doesn't look promising as to being able to pull the transmission cover off....
[video=youtube;PfrSOTBczGo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfrSOTBczGo[/video]

If you note where his left hand is in the still, the trans cover is just to the right. The frame crossmember is very close to the cover.

Maybe George or John O will chime in!!

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1100
I found a service manual on line and it looks like you can get to the linkage without removing the engine but the swingarm needs come off.

I need to find a good diagram of the linkage so I can figure out what is wrong with it.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
JerseyST alerted me to yur problem. I haven't looked at this one as I'm not a tranny guy, but...

Page 10-1 of the 1991-2002 Service Manual: "The gearshift linkage can be serviced with the engine installed in the frame"

Page 10-2, parts diagram. partsw 7, 9, 10, 11 are suspect. My experience, one of the "ears" on #7 is broken off. I've had it twice, on an SL-125 and a Nighthawk S. Both times, tho, damage was caused by a sharp blow on the splined end of the Gearshift spindle assembly. Don't see how this could happen on an ST. Also had a GL-1500 lock in first gear, assume that one was a shift fork but don't know fur sur as I traded it on a new '77 750-F while still broken.

Simple enuff to pull the swingarm and get too the linkage, similar to the Alt upgrade process. I've not done it but wouldn't hesitate.

Looking at the parts diagram, how about #8, Shift drum center bolt, has backed out?? Would be an assembly defect, rare but it happens.

I have a complete but non-functional tranny in the garage (jumped out of third gear). If ya need any particular shift linkage part, particularly as money is tight, let me know. Cost of shipping only.

Keep us poSTed and good luck. If we were in better weather conditions, I'd be sorely tempted to show up at yur garage door. Luv this kind'a mySTery. :D

sirepair

Let's RIDE!
Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1100P
STOC #
Thanks for the input George. Looking at this diagram I am feeling better about possible access to the shifter mech/drum. If the cover plate has room to be removed then there should be enough space to check out what's going on (or not going on) in there!

shift-cover-st1100-pan-european-1995-european-direct-sales_bigecajs41e__0600_3b32.jpg

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1100
Page 10-2, parts diagram. partsw 7, 9, 10, 11 are suspect.

I also suspected these parts

Looking at the parts diagram, how about #8, Shift drum center bolt, has backed out??

but didn't think about this one.

Thanks for all the ideas.

I am still baffled as it doesn't seem like there have been many problems with the ST tranny and I can find no evidence of a crash on this machine. It did fall over in the back of a truck but it was the right side and it wasn't moving.

I will try to get into this weekend but may not have time with Christmas so close.

Thanks again I owe you all a beer:D

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I recall having my '83 Interceptor get stuck in 3rd gear. Turned out to be the little spring that keeps the shifting selector / pawl engaged with the shift drum (see above video) broke. In the case of the Interceptor this was a straight coil spring with hooks at each end, one of which broke, letting the spring fall into the oil pan and allowing the selector pawl to fall away from the drum. Looks like Honda uses a hairpin type spring in the fiche for the ST. It was a $3 part but I had to pull the engine cover and pan to retrieve the old one and replace with new.

Never heard of this problem with an ST before.

Ross Smith

Ross
Bike
1999 St1100
Buddy of mine in Toronto had his 2000 jam in 3rd this summer. Cause of the problem was a broken spring on the gear shift spindle. Prevents the spindle's ratchet and pawl from moving to the next position up or down. Could also be the "stopper arm" spring. It keeps the stopper centered on the shift cam for the next shift operation up or down.

You can remove the gearshift linkage cover without removing the engine, as others have stated, but you do need to remove the swingarm to get clear access to the shifting mechanism. I've had my arm off before for other reasons and it's clearly visible there.

If it is indeed a broken spring, make sure you locate and remove all of it before doing any replacing of parts.

Ross

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Mark
Just got a chance to see this thread. I have a Service manual if you need it. PM me with a phone number and I will give you a call. I will take a look at manual this weekend. Work has me very busy!

Randy

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Looks like at the very least you are going to need a swingarm tool. Might want to start asking who has one you can borrow. Not sure if Randy has one at the garage mahal or not.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Not up to Garage Mahal standards, but I've removed the swingarm lock rings and replaced them using a hammer 'n drift. Mark the settings with a Sharpie before starting, set the bearing retainer and lock ring to the same marks upon reassembly. Shade-tree mechanic here. :D

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1100
I found a manual on line and have looked at it. I had the swingarm off a couple of times on my Concours but was able to get it back together without any special tools.

If I attempt this it would be by far the biggest bike repair I have ever attempted and has me a little nervous. I will try to get the swing arm off on Saturday morning but it may not be until next weekend as I have a weekend packed with christmas stuff with my kids.

This is a great forum and I'm glad I found it. I can't believe the amount of advice I have received.

I hope to get some rides in with all the local riders this year.

Thanks

Mark

Jerseyst

Official Crown Royal TeSTer
Bike
st 1300
STOC #
If you need a hand let me know. Always willing to help a fellow rider. Good luck.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
I found a manual on line and have looked at it. I had the swingarm off a couple of times on my Concours but was able to get it back together without any special tools.

If I attempt this it would be by far the biggest bike repair I have ever attempted and has me a little nervous. I will try to get the swing arm off on Saturday morning but it may not be until next weekend as I have a weekend packed with christmas stuff with my kids.

This is a great forum and I'm glad I found it. I can't believe the amount of advice I have received.

I hope to get some rides in with all the local riders this year.

Thanks

Mark
I have both tools U need for ST1100 swingarm removal & shop manual. Pm me. I'm a little way from U. Easton, Pa.

Mr. BR

Just a local commuter...
Bike
'05 Yam FJR1300
Swing-arm removal really not a big deal. You might want to consider removing the gas tank too.... it'll give you more room to work. Anyway, here's the view you'll enjoy and the engine cover you'll need to remove to get to the shift mechanism and the likely source of your issue. (Pic is from my Alt upgrade last Feb):
Mr. BR

Attachments

OP
OP
Bike
2002 ST1100
Well I worked on it and then decided to send it to a local mechanic. He found that it was the small spring that allows the shift fork (not sure if that is the correct name) to reach the shift dogs. It is a $3 part. I will have it back tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Top Bottom