Honda Badged Zumo 550 software/update

Bike
2010 ST1300ABS
I have a Honda badged Zumo that has 2.60 software (only fitted new last month),this has the handlebar remote that allows zoom and volume control. I have found that on the Garmin site, I cannot update this unit to a later software ( now up to 4.9). This has improvements such as being able to address files larger than 2GB, now that mapping is always growing larger.

I have been in touch with Garmin and they say that the manufacturer version of software on this unit is preventing the unit updating to the newest device software and a fix will be released in the future.

I find it difficult to believe that a unit, that is now a several year old model is not supported for a software update of the operating system

I have also been in touch with Honda customer service and they say only Garin can help?

Has anybody out there experienced this with there Honda Garmin Zumo.

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I've heard of similar issues with the BMW branded ZUMOs. It seems like you may gain is some ways: ie: the BMW branded 660 interfaces with the onboard audio and BT headset of the new K1600GT/GTL while the Garmin does not, The BMW 660 mount has the right side physical buttons like a 550 Zumo, but the BMW units also need specific updates and don't update like the standard Garmin Zumos. Don't know about the H-D branded Zumo, but I wouldn't be surprized it it also is not totally compatible with the standard Garmin updates. It's a shame they don't clearly explain this when you are choosing a mc branded Zumo instead of a Garmin branded Zumo.

I have a Garmin 550 for the compatability issues mentioned even though at that time I could have gotten a fantastic deal on a BMW Zumo 550...I did good on the Garmin though.

JZH

International Bodger
FYI, regular Garmin Zumo 550s can reportedly use the Honda "Gathers M" remote control--without the need for special soft or firmware. You need the Honda cable and a suitable remote unit. I have purchased that cable and was going to attempt to fabricate a remote button array but haven't had the time to work on it. The remote is quite basic, so not really necessary unless your Zumo is mounted quite far away, I suppose...

Ciao,

Bike
2008 ST1300
I know this is old thread but I've foolishly just bought a branded model off eBay. Has there been any update on updates? And the unit has a particular connection plug which I assume is particular to Honda. Anyone know where it plugs into? A long shot I know. Many thanks.

JZH

International Bodger
I don't know anything about the firmware update, but I could probably help you with the cable. I bought the Honda remote unit and cable for my non-Honda Zumo 550 and got everything to work together...and then I bought a 590LM! What cables do you have?

Ciao,

Top Bottom