MCL Fork Brace?

I am in the process of making my over the winter list to purchase when I get home and need some info on an item. Has anyone used or know of anyone that has used the MCL fork brace. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I have one installed on my ST and put it on when the bike was new so I don't know how much it helps or not. I was thinking it could not hurt. Enjoy!

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I added one at about 7000 miles. If any help at all, the bike stays put in lane a bit better. Before the brace the bike seemed to wonder around a bit. Any change will be minimal.

Tom

OP
OP
Thanks for the inputs, think I will put the money toward the risers and highway wings.

Bike
05'ST1300
STOC #
I put one on about 12k ago.
For me it tightend up the front end alot.
Still a little wander left in the front but thats the suspension.
In short it made a big diffrence for me.

Sean

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
IMO, Sonic springs is money very well spent. The bike rides a bit firmer, but handles a whole lot better.

Tom

Bike
ST1300 - 2005
Hi Guys!
I'm willing to buy a Fork Brace for my ST1300, but before buy it from the US, I would like to know if you guys know any store here in UK or Europe that could they have it in stock, or even If someone here in the forum have a used one to sell... Could be a Superbrace or a Larry model...

Thanks!

Marco
London - UK
05 Ex-Police ST1300...

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Marco,

I found I needed fork braces on the ST1100s; but, not on the ST1300.
Have you upgraded the springs and shock/spring on the the ST1300 yet? I found these items to be much more effective in making the ST1300 handle better.

Bike
ST1300 - 2005
I read that the upgrade of the springs could be a good idea...
But I bought my ST just to make an Europe Tour next summer and after that I'll have to sell it because I going to move back to Brazil and I CAN'T take the bike with me, so I don't want to expend that money in a bike that I gonna keep just for few months...

and... I also read that the ST1300P (Ex-police bike) comes with "upgraded" front and/or rear springs to carry the extra weight from the police gear at high speeds, I'm not sure about that...

so, my option for now is just the fork brace....

anyway....

Just after buy my bike I used to feel A LOT of wobble at any speed, then I replaced the front tyre, and then I got a totaly different bike, I got a lot better ride....

but few weeks ago I started to feel more wobbles, than I realized that my tires were losing presure too fast...
before I used to check the pressure two or three times a month, but now I checking almost every day... man... what a difference.... when it has "freshy" 42psis I got a stable ride at 100mph and just feels wobbles over 120mph... for me it's good... I don't like to go faster that anyway... I just want a safe and calm ride at 100mph cruise speed.....LOL

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
I had an st11 for many years and it had a brace on it and it helped alot. the 13 now has one and it to really helps and its just another means to better handling. I have done the springs and love the feedback from the front .In the past i was not sure what the front was doing and i just pushed the bike in corners and went for it. Now i can feel it and its all positive.. Go for the brace and springs.....

Bike
ST1300
I put Motorcycle Larry's fork braces on both of my ST1300s. I also got the bug deflectors, to keep the forks clean and the seals lasting longer. I can't quantify the benefits of the brace, with a percentage improvement in handling, tire life, etc. but my bike is rock steady at every speed, and load configuration, even at redline. I ride over 100 miles a day 365 days a year in Phoenix. I can tell you that every product MCL has engineered, has been meticulously well made, and the fit and finish are fantastic. When I've installed the fork braces, highway blades, etc from MCL, I have always been amazed at how precise they fit, MCL products can not be beat.

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
I see you're from Michigan. Surely, there might be someone in Michigan who would let you borrow one to try out. It's just four bolts and push the OEM bug guards up out of the way. Nothing else. It probably would take less than ten minutes to do the switch. I have a Superbrace from a group buy over at Pashnit.com, but MCL has great quality. I would describe the feeling as my Steed's ride quality has gone from solid to rock solid. You may notice the difference in the first 100 miles, then it'll just seem normal as your mind forgets. Wind gusts and truck wash will seem less bothersome. Borrow one before you decide. If you lived in San Diego, you could borrow mine.

John

Bike
2001 ST1100
ST1100 newb here. Quick question, can I use the OEM fork bug guards with the MCL fork brace and NOT buy the MCL dust covers? I can't figure out exactly what happens to the OEM bug guards. Thanks in advance.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I bought a MCL fork brace last month, and installed it while I was in California. I had just finished riding from Toronto to California without the brace, so the ride back along the same route gave me a good opportunity to compare "before and after".

I think that the motorcycle handled better - in particular, it was less affected by grooves and ruts in the road that ran parallel to the direction of travel - with the fork brace installed. But, there is an important caveat here:

When I first attempted to install the fork brace, I discovered that it didn't fit perfectly. The forks were about ten to twenty thousandths of an inch too close together, which meant that instead of the brace smoothly slipping into place with no friction whatsoever, the brace would have needed a bit of tapping to get in snugly around the two lower forks. I had read a post made here in the forum by another member (I can't find that post right now) in which he reported the same problem - the brace didn't fit right - but he tapped it into place. He then experienced stiction in the forks (they would not smoothly and easily move up and down), and I didn't want to encounter that same problem.

So...

I loosened both of the pinch bolts on either side of the axle, and bounced the front end up and down a few times. I then tapped the fork brace into place, and bounced the front end up and down a few more times to confirm that the forks moved freely and there was no stiction. I then tightened up the pinch bolts and the 4 bolts on the fork brace. The next day, I visited Larry (Igofar) and asked him to carefully examine the whole front suspension on my motorcycle. Larry dis-assembled the front axle and found that some part inside the axle was not as it should be. (Larry, if you are reading this, perhaps you could explain what you found... it was a bit too complicated for me to figure out, even though I was watching you and you were explaining it to me.) Larry fixed the part that was not correct, then very carefully inspected, loosened, and re-torqued all of the various critical fasteners in the front fork and axle assembly, including the brake calipers. All of this work was done with the fork brace installed, which means that any force being exerted on the brace due to fork misalignment was relieved.

As I said in the second paragraph, I think the fork brace improves the handling of the motorcycle when the front wheel is deflected laterally by grooves and ruts in the pavement, most especially when riding on scarified pavement. But, I think that anyone who is considering purchasing and installing a fork brace needs to recognize that the brace is only one component in a rather complex front-end assembly, and if the front end assembly is not perfectly set up to begin with (unlikely, in my opinion), it won't be possible to simply slide the fork brace into position, encounter no resistance at all, tighten the bolts and then ride away into the sunset. The whole front end needs to be loosened up and properly aligned at the time the fork brace is installed, and the fork brace itself should be fitted (perhaps not 'finally tightened', but certainly 'fitted') when all of the other fasteners that affect fork alignment and rigidity have been loosened. Then, the proper processes for tightening up all the fasteners on the front fork assembly (including the brake caliper fasteners) need to be followed. If this is done, then a satisfactory result will be achieved.

Exactly how much of the handling improvement is due to the presence of the fork brace, and how much is due to simply correctly aligning the front end, I don't know. Theoretically, the fork brace could, perhaps, just be used as an alignment tool, and then removed afterwards; but to prove or disprove this, I would have to do a few thousand miles of riding with the fork brace removed.

There are two companies that make fork braces for the ST 1300, Motorcycle Larry (MCL) and Superbrace. MCL's fork brace costs $90, Superbrace's fork brace costs $166. I'll be darned if I can figure out how the two products could be different in any way - after all, they are just flat aluminum bars with round holes in each end. They both weigh about 2 pounds.

MCL sells bug guards that screw onto their fork brace for an additional $21. It is possible to re-use the OEM Honda bug guards, but to do so requires that you attach them with glue - kind of hokey - hence I think that buying the bug guards with the fork brace is kind of obligatory. I don't know if Superbrace sells bug guards, or if the OEM bug guards can be re-used when a Superbrace is fitted. Superbrace has made a video showing how the brace is fitted to the moto and posted it here in the forum - here is the link to that video: Superbrace installation. The process is the same with the MCL brace, although based on my experience, I recommend that the whole front end be loosened up and properly aligned when a fork brace is fitted.

Michael

The MCL Fork Brace
it's about as generic as a part could possibly be

Bike
2003 Honda ST1300
Thanks for the inputs, think I will put the money toward the risers and highway wings.
a ST1300

I wished for risers and highway pegs for my ST1100 bought ST1300 that already had bar risers on it the comfort level and position is much better. Don't know how Honda determined position but they should get an F. Guess I recommend the risers before the brace.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Guess I recommend the risers before the brace.
Agreed 100%.

My personal 'order of priority' for ST 1300 modifications would be bar risers, followed by custom seat, followed by everything else.

The fork brace makes $100 worth of difference, and I am happy with it, but I wouldn't say it is a "top priority" mod. Perhaps medium priority, after heated grips, GPS, and other comfort related modifications.

Michael

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I agree with risers before the brace if you need either or both. Made a significant and immediate improvement in riding comfort. Slight differences in manufacturing tolerances are likely irrelevant.

The brace appears to be a different matter entirely. The benefits may not be immediately noticeable and tolerances are more important. It could be that simply loosening the front and properly aligning and torquing everything would yield some improvement. I'm sure that's a common practice more most/many/some/? riders when replacing a tire.

I've been wanting a brace for some time and this review is encouraging. I've already got my Helibar riser so this is probably next.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...It could be that simply loosening the front and properly aligning and torquing everything would yield some improvement.
I agree with you, and therein lies the challenge when trying to objectively evaluate the benefit that the fork brace provides. Have things improved because of the additional rigidity that the brace provides, or have things improved because the brace simply assists in holding everything in correct alignment when tightening up the fasteners on the front end?

I honestly don't know how much of the benefit to attribute to rigidity and how much to attribute to alignment. As I mentioned in post #14, the only way to find out would be to now take the brace off (because now, everything is properly aligned) and go riding for a few thousand miles.

I'm almost ready to think that the brace is actually an rigging tool / assembly jig that we leave in place after everything is assembled. :)

Michael

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the only way to find out would be to now take the brace off (because now, everything is properly aligned) and go riding for a few thousand miles.
LOL I'm not that detail oriented. If it doesn't screw anything up when putting it on then it stays. I'll take it on faith that actually helps.

Top Bottom