Digital camera recomendations

Bike
2006 ST1300
Hey there, one of the upgrades i need to make before next season is to get a decent digital camera. By decent, I mean in the $50-$150 range. I know thats very low end to some of you, but I'm coming from a 3+ year old Cannon that I managed to break the screen of, so anything new would be an upgrade.

When my camera first broke, I was using my Samsung phone, which actually took very nice pictures. But now I have an HTC Touch, and am very disappointed in the photo quality, so its time to go back to a dedicated camera.

I'm really not that concerned with how it does video, as I want to get a dedicated video camera to mount on the ST. What I do want, is a camera that is easy to use, takes good photos, and has a fast turn-on time (I hate missing a shot because the camera takes a minute or longer to turn on).

All suggestions and tips are welcome.

Jim

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have had really good luck with Canon, and reviews seem to be pretty positive, but it almost seems like it is hard to get a BAD camera nowadays, even in that price range. The things I like most are:
1. Uses AA batteries- you can get them anywhere, and use Ni-Mh rechargeables to give you a LONG run time
2. Shockproof/waterproof/dust resistant would be nice, but with a good case, most seem to survive minor mishaps.
3. Unless you're making HUGE prints, a 10Mp is just fine, and will let you get more pictures on a smaller card.
4. Uses SD cards- widely available, and cheap!
5. I tend to like cameras with viewfinders...yeah, I know..a LUDDITE! ( I own an old airhead BMW still too)
6. Simpler is better.

Since the advent of camera phones, the prices on cameras has gone thru the basement...shop around a bit online, and use Amazon for reviews.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have a Cannon D10, it's $250 so it's not in the range you want however, it's shockproof and waterproof so a tough camera. Takes good pictures and has image stabilization. You can wear it around your neck and feel the buttons w/gloves on and it turns on in about .5 seconds.. guessing, anyway it's fast.

Bike
99 ST1100
I've got an Olympus Stylus Tough 6020 that I like a lot.

I'm really hard on cameras. In my business - Foundation Repair and Waterproofing - I take the camera with me everywhere in all kinds of weather and in dusty, dirty crawl spaces. After ruining 3 other $100 cameras, my number one criterion was that it had to be durable.

The Olympus is waterproof (to 5 meters, I think), dustproof, shockproof, etc and isn't real expensive. Plus it takes really nice pictures (I never use the video although it does have it).

You may find them cheaper but I know they're on e-bay now, brand new for $189.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-Stylus-Tough-6020-Digital-Camera-Black-227635-/320810079456?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item4ab1c554e0

PS: It does take 2 -3 seconds to boot up when you turn it on.

Bike
04 ST1300 ABS
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I like the L22 L24 Nikons so much I have bought 4 of em for family... see my smugmug shots

They retail around $130 but can be found for $89

scootac

Will Ride for Food
As was said before,,, a LOT of GOOD choices in that price range,,,, that are more/bigger/better than twice the price cameras just 1-2 years ago. Find one that 'feels' right to you and has features you want. Viewfinder might be non-existent,,, I wanted one too,,,(must be the BMW Airhead mentality!) and there were damn few choices 3 years ago when I got a little Sony. Probably even fewer today. 'Nother thing you might want to check is the size of the power on/off button,,, can you operate it with gloves on? In case you want to hang it around your neck and take pics on the fly,,,, not that you should do something so dangerous!!!;)
Also,,, once you put your mitts on one and find what you want,,,, check pricing at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/,,, good pricing and selection.
You're going to have some fun looking!:D

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
Lots of good info so far...thanks, and keep it coming! For the actual purchase, I just about live on a site called slickdeals.net, which is a forum for people to post killer deals on stuff (sales, coupons, discounts...and combos of all three sometimes). With a short list of good cameras, I can keep an eye out for a killer deal and snatch one up when the time comes. My final price range will actually be under $100, but by finding a good deal, many times I see $200 cameras for $100 or less.

scootac- one of my uses will be to keep it within easy reach while riding, so that when I see a good shot, I can grab it and click off a few pics (conditions permitting doing it safely). I have been using my phone for this, but its cumbersome.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Lots of good info so far...thanks, and keep it coming! For the actual purchase, I just about live on a site called slickdeals.net, ........

scootac- one of my uses will be to keep it within easy reach while riding, so that when I see a good shot, I can grab it and click off a few pics (conditions permitting doing it safely). I have been using my phone for this, but its cumbersome.
Have found slickdeals also,,, some good stuff on there!
I use a little carabiner to hook mine to a my jacket, and let it lay on the tank bag. Rides pretty good there! Even use it left-handed and upside down,,, rotate 'em around later.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
I'll be the first in line for the camera maker that makes a left side shutter release. It's like none of the camera makers ride motorcycles!!!

Bike
99 ST1100
I'll be the first in line for the camera maker that makes a left side shutter release. It's like none of the camera makers ride motorcycles!!!
Just turn the camera around the other way Mac!:D:D

Of course all of your pictures are going to look a lot alike! LOL

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That's another reason I like my D10, you can connect the cord to any of the 4 corners.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
But it still has to be triggered with your right index finger!!!
Not really.. if you hang it by the upper right corner, grab it with your left hand, your left index finger will be on the shutter.

That's what I do so I can keep my right hand on the throttle and grab the camera, turn it on, point, shoot, turn it off.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
Not really.. if you hang it by the upper right corner, grab it with your left hand, your left index finger will be on the shutter.

That's what I do so I can keep my right hand on the throttle and grab the camera, turn it on, point, shoot, turn it off.
That don't work with a DSLR

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
+1 on klaproth's list of best features.

I've had very good results with the Nikon P series as their images are simply fantastic. I purchased a Nikon L series once, took a few pictures, and immediately took it back due to washed out colors. My wife's Canon (12MP) also takes very washed out pictures.

My favorite camera of all time is the Nikon P60 (no longer made). My wife took it to Cambodia earlier this year, and following that hot/humid trip, it wouldn't focus properly any longer. :(

Top Bottom