Digital camera recomendations

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Ha Ha... hey that looks simple enough I might even be able to do one... kinda looks like a shoe horn.

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
Hi nhdiesel,
We've been happy with a Kodak Playsport.It's in your price range, waterproof & ruggedized, long battery life, will record video if you wish, will accept a 64 GB SD card, and is easy to use with gloves on. Only downside is the odd battery, but we carry a fully charged spare.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
! Anything that uses AA batteries. Available everywhere and you don't need to recharge them on a trip - just carry a spare pack.

My camera of choice, like MDTurley, has been the Nikon CoolPix series. Currently using an L22. Runs a loooooong time on one set of Ultra Lithiums.
• 12M pixels, more than enough. Shoot from the hip or over the shoulder and you only have to be "close enough." Crop out what you don't want on the computer.
• Uses AA batteries
• When off, the lens is covered automatically, no lens cap to fool around with
• Full auto mode takes great pics regardless of light conditions. Most of the time I have flash turned off as it's great in low light situations.
It has all the bells and whistle adjustments but I just use full Easy Auto mode as the camera is smarter and faster than I am.
• Great for one handed shooting due to it's compact size. I keep it in a custom pocket on the side of my tankbag normally and can fish it out and shoot one handed.
• When in "rally mode", like Mellow, I just hang it from a lanyard around my neck and tuck it inside my stich. Rain starts, just zip up the stich and it's protected.
• Uses standard SD cards.
• Comes with a USB cable to transfer pics to a computer OR some computers (like my laptop) have an SD card slot - just pull it out of the camera and pop it in the computer . . . voila!
• Nice size viewing screen - no view finder (but, who needs it while taking pictures one handed, on the bike, with the visor down).
• One Negative . . . it's not waterproof. I've had no problems in taking quick shots in light rain: turn on, shoot pic, turn off (lens cover snaps shut) then back in a protected space.

I like Mellow's Cannon D10, which IS waterproof and Santa might bring me one for Christmas . . . if I've been a good boy all year. Maybe I won't get one . . . :(

Several good choices. Get the feel of them in the stores, narrow the list down to what you like, then find the deal.

Enjoy, happy holidays,
Shuey

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300
The L22 sounds really good, and I've seen past deals for $59 to $70, so well within my price range. I'll keep the others in mind too.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I currently using a Canon PowerShot A1100IS (when I remember to take it with me...) It's served me well, and I'd recommend it. Apparently it's been replaced by the PowerShot A1200, which has similar specs. It's 12 megapixel, 4X optical zoom (1x more than most,) has an optical viewfinder (handy in the sunlight, and not generally found on cameras in this price range,) and it uses AA batteries (easy to find on the road, and mine runs forever on a couple of lithium AAs.) It also appears to have gone down in price: Canon lists $110 suggested retail. The A1200 doesn't have the image stabilizer that my A1100 does, but I don't know if it even comes into play.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_a1200#Overview

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The L22 sounds really good, and I've seen past deals for $59 to $70, so well within my price range. I'll keep the others in mind too.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
Startup time is around 2 seconds on those. That's a big deal for me as I like the camera ready as soon as I turn it on .

The Fujifilm FinePix XP30 is waterproof, in the S150 range and has a less-than-one-second startup time.

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Startup time is around 2 seconds on those. That's a big deal for me as I like the camera ready as soon as I turn it on .

The Fujifilm FinePix XP30 is waterproof, in the S150 range and has a less-than-one-second startup time.
Doesn't use AA batteries - plug in and recharge. Looking forward to trying out the D10. :)
(aside: My Nikon L22 starts up in about a second, maybe a fraction less)

Shuey

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Doesn't use AA batteries - plug in and recharge. Looking forward to trying out the D10. :)
(aside: My Nikon L22 starts up in about a second, maybe a fraction less)

Shuey
okay, was reading reviews which said 2 seconds, could be they upgraded them after the review.

The D10 is also a rechargeable. The battery lasts a long time, I've taken many pics on a charge and even after it's been sitting around and never had an issue with it. I agree using normal batteries would be nice but they probably don't last as long anyway based off a prev camera I had - olympus - which was like that.

John

R.I.P. - 2024/01/22
Rest In Peace
Bike
'07 ST1300
STOC #
Not really.. if you hang it by the upper right corner, grab it with your left hand, your left index finger will be on the shutter.

That's what I do so I can keep my right hand on the throttle and grab the camera, turn it on, point, shoot, turn it off.
What Mellow said!

It makes it a true "Point and Shoot" or "Guess and Shoot" because your hand has the screen covered. But, if you take enough shots, you will wind up with some good "on the fly" photos.

I'm partial to Canon cameras for their quality pictures, ease of use and being tough enough to take some abuse.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I will say you need to find one that uses AA batteries in it as you can replace them very fast and easy to find when you are out on the road. I have tried to use a camera that had the rechargeable type not having any luck with recharging it out on the road. I spent more money buying a second battery thinking that would help, it did but I still found myself out on the road with two dead batteries.

I have the Cannon like this and love it! http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11680724&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|90607|83&N=4047256

OP
OP
nhdiesel
Bike
2006 ST1300