2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Re: Digital camera recomendations

Bike
    2010 Gold Wing
    My SPOT
    My Gallery

Thanks Joe, I'll run out to the garage and fab one of those after supper!!!
    '06 ST 1300 79,673 miles (gone but never to be forgotten!!!)
    '10 GL 1800 118,442 miles (traded)
    '13 GL 1800 9,372 miles

Bike
    ST-1200
    Tip Overs:
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Ha Ha... hey that looks simple enough I might even be able to do one... kinda looks like a shoe horn.

Louisville, KY - The Derby City >>> Home of The Louisville Slugger<<<
    My Gallery

Hi nhdiesel,
    We've been happy with a Kodak Playsport.It's in your price range, waterproof & ruggedized, long battery life, will record video if you wish, will accept a 64 GB SD card, and is easy to use with gloves on. Only downside is the odd battery, but we carry a fully charged spare.

Good Ridin'
    slmjim & Z1BEBE
    A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
    A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by tercol58 View Post
    Roll over 'Cameras',,, then use the 'Camera Feature Search' to pick what's most important to you,,, it shows cameras meeting your criteria.

"Too often. . .I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen.”

Bike
    FJR1300 '13
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

! Anything that uses AA batteries. Available everywhere and you don't need to recharge them on a trip - just carry a spare pack.

My camera of choice, like MDTurley, has been the Nikon CoolPix series. Currently using an L22. Runs a loooooong time on one set of Ultra Lithiums.
    • 12M pixels, more than enough. Shoot from the hip or over the shoulder and you only have to be "close enough." Crop out what you don't want on the computer.
    • Uses AA batteries
    • When off, the lens is covered automatically, no lens cap to fool around with
    • Full auto mode takes great pics regardless of light conditions. Most of the time I have flash turned off as it's great in low light situations.
    It has all the bells and whistle adjustments but I just use full Easy Auto mode as the camera is smarter and faster than I am.
    • Great for one handed shooting due to it's compact size. I keep it in a custom pocket on the side of my tankbag normally and can fish it out and shoot one handed.
    • When in "rally mode", like Mellow, I just hang it from a lanyard around my neck and tuck it inside my stich. Rain starts, just zip up the stich and it's protected.
    • Uses standard SD cards.
    • Comes with a USB cable to transfer pics to a computer OR some computers (like my laptop) have an SD card slot - just pull it out of the camera and pop it in the computer . . . voila!
    • Nice size viewing screen - no view finder (but, who needs it while taking pictures one handed, on the bike, with the visor down).
    • One Negative . . . it's not waterproof. I've had no problems in taking quick shots in light rain: turn on, shoot pic, turn off (lens cover snaps shut) then back in a protected space.

I like Mellow's Cannon D10, which IS waterproof and Santa might bring me one for Christmas . . . if I've been a good boy all year. Maybe I won't get one . . .

Several good choices. Get the feel of them in the stores, narrow the list down to what you like, then find the deal.

Enjoy, happy holidays,
    Shuey
    "If you don't know where you're going . . . any road will take you there!" Unknown

"Life is 10% how you make it
    and 90% how you take it."
    Irving Berlin

Site Supporter
    (Threadstarter)
    Bike
    2006 ST1300
    Tip Overs:
    2014 Miles:

My SPOT
    My Gallery
    The L22 sounds really good, and I've seen past deals for $59 to $70, so well within my price range. I'll keep the others in mind too.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
    Proud member of the Dark Side. 205/50ZR17 GYTT
    IBA #47373

Bike
    '05 ST1300
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

I currently using a Canon PowerShot A1100IS (when I remember to take it with me...) It's served me well, and I'd recommend it. Apparently it's been replaced by the PowerShot A1200, which has similar specs. It's 12 megapixel, 4X optical zoom (1x more than most,) has an optical viewfinder (handy in the sunlight, and not generally found on cameras in this price range,) and it uses AA batteries (easy to find on the road, and mine runs forever on a couple of lithium AAs.) It also appears to have gone down in price: Canon lists $110 suggested retail. The A1200 doesn't have the image stabilizer that my A1100 does, but I don't know if it even comes into play.

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/p...a1200#Overview
    Roger Smith
    '05 ST1300 '09 KLR650 '12 XR1200X

Bike
    05' ST1300A
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Mellow View Post
    Joe, you have far too much time on your hands...
    Click the following links to : My Google+ Web Picture Gallery..... My Facebook page.........
    TroSTy : RanchSTOC II & III.... BritSTOC 11, 11.5, 12, Europe 2011,2012.USA 2013. ThunderBeach Rally 2013. Moonshine Lunch Run 10th Anniversary 2014.

Bike
    ST-1200
    Tip Overs:
    2014 Miles:

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by nhdiesel View Post
    The L22 sounds really good, and I've seen past deals for $59 to $70, so well within my price range. I'll keep the others in mind too.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk
    Startup time is around 2 seconds on those. That's a big deal for me as I like the camera ready as soon as I turn it on .

The Fujifilm FinePix XP30 is waterproof, in the S150 range and has a less-than-one-second startup time.

+ New Posts
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast