CB400F Engine Rebuild

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Here's a pic of a set of ST1100 carbs I just trashed, bm. If ya want I can dig'em out and send'em to ya. :D
IMG_6401 (1600x1200).jpg

Good job on the 400, keep the pics coming.
Its frightening what can happen inside a carb isn't it? Number 1 was so eroded from Lord knows what that it wouldn't hold the jet in place.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Very cool. How did you go about zinc plating the steel parts? Did you send them away for plating or a DYI?
I bead blasted and zinc plated them myself. I bought the copy cad kit from Caswell, but to tell the truth I can get small parts plated cheaper than I can do it myself. I won't do it myself after this runs out.

OP
OP
bmcdonau
Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Its still in storage as life got in the way. Might get it running this spring,

Bike
st1300 vfr800
I have a few sets of carbs for this bike if needed ,currently doing up a 350 4 with Jardine header and pipe hopefully will be done early spring as the weather is really cold here now .

Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Had to hunt for the pic of my own CB400-4 with the obligatory Kerker exhaust. This was a great bike, ran like a swiss watch, never broke down. Rode it all over California, Nevada and Southern Oregon. And note our ol' Vdub on the street!

Attachments

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
One for sale in Florida

When I bought my 75 'Wing at Pug Vickers Honda down in Murfreesboro, TN, my next-door-neighbor went with and bought a blue CB400F. Had'em put Ape Hangers on it (ugh). Last time I saw it, it was leaning against the wall of his gargage under the the (no gutters) eave. It was too rusty to see the paint color, totally trashed. Sad end to a brilliant bike. :(

Yur doing a brilliant job on this project, keep it up.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Great job on the restore! :bow1: Someday I hope to have that level of mechanical ability.

One thing I learned as I am restoring an old CL-350 is that those aren't Phillips head screws, they are JIS screws. JIS has a different angle and depth than Phillips and are easily buggered up by using a Phillips screwdriver on them. The small dot on the screw head indicates it is a JIS screw.

I ground one of my Phillips screwdrivers to the JIS shape for use in my restore. It's too early to tell if makes a big difference but I'm hoping it will do less damage on my 40 year old hardware.

Top Bottom