970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Well I will be changing out my Goodyear tire with another one as this one has bald sides and rubber in the center still. I have 34,000 miles on it which is very good for me.

I am installing a used Goodyear TTT that was given to my by a friend who tried it and did not like the darkside. So a free tire is good right?? :D

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
34? I'm hoping for 50.
Guess I need to quit scraping the pegs?

Guess you were just lucky since you will inevitably crash, burn, and not have any traction running a car tire on a bike, I suppose you didn't do too bad. :D
oh... you didn't cause a multi-car pile-up running a car tire? It's just a matter of time. There is so much proof it will happen. Not!

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
34? I'm hoping for 50.
Guess I need to quit scraping the pegs?

Guess you were just lucky since you will inevitably crash, burn, and not have any traction running a car tire on a bike, I suppose you didn't do too bad. :D
oh... you didn't cause a multi-car pile-up running a car tire? It's just a matter of time. There is so much proof it will happen. Not!
Yes you are right about those tires not working as I have over 50,000 miles on them now and I am still testing them! :nuts1: :22yikes:

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Very interesting thread this one! Wow, now I need to go back to some of the basic "MC vs Darkside" threads to understand the Pros/Cons but overall it seems the rear tires are really well suited to being "Darksided".

Any particular choice for the front tires in this case? Or do you play around with various ones without much difference? (MC front tire right...)

Thanks again for this thread!

Regards,
Vishnu

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Very interesting thread this one! Wow, now I need to go back to some of the basic "MC vs Darkside" threads to understand the Pros/Cons but overall it seems the rear tires are really well suited to being "Darksided".

Any particular choice for the front tires in this case? Or do you play around with various ones without much difference? (MC front tire right...)

Thanks again for this thread!

Regards,
Vishnu
I am running the rear tire on the front a Bridgestone BT45 size is 130/70/18 which gives me good mileage over 15,000 some guys get almost 30,000 but the same as my back tires I wear out the sides before the centers.

I really like the look of this tire, but I don't like the thought of grinding parts of the bike to get clearances.
My thought exactly. Any particular reason you aren't trimming the tire instead of the swing arm? All kinds of negative images come to mind when I think about grinding away metal from the swing arm...

MrB

Bike
2013 GL1800 F6B
STOC #
Everyone seems to have different experiences regarding rubbing, mine rubbed but it was such a PITA to get on I wasn't about to take it off.
I took a strip of 120 grit sandpaper from a sanding belt, placed it on the tire facing out and rotated the tire til it was caught between them, then just rotated the tire back and forth. It took no more than a dozen swipes to eliminate the rub.
The material removed may compromise the strength of the part, but the impact required to reach that point would have killed me anyway.
That said, maybe some people have to grind off a lot more? I haven't seen anything excessive in the darkside threads. YMMV.

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Everyone seems to have different experiences regarding rubbing, mine rubbed but it was such a PITA to get on I wasn't about to take it off.
I took a strip of 120 grit sandpaper from a sanding belt, placed it on the tire facing out and rotated the tire til it was caught between them, then just rotated the tire back and forth. It took no more than a dozen swipes to eliminate the rub.
The material removed may compromise the strength of the part, but the impact required to reach that point would have killed me anyway.
That said, maybe some people have to grind off a lot more? I haven't seen anything excessive in the darkside threads. YMMV.
Now that is an interesting way to take care of that problem, glad that worked that sounds like a easy way.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
So after seeing that this tire could go 50K on my bike, I ordered up a set of 4 for my wife's civic. I'll check back in about 6 years and let you know how I made out.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Roughly 44k hard miles on mine and it's lasting great. I can see it going another 5k+ easily.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
My thought exactly. Any particular reason you aren't trimming the tire instead of the swing arm? All kinds of negative images come to mind when I think about grinding away metal from the swing arm...
That aluminum casting, if it is like all I've seen has a ridge at the "parting line" of the mold. If that is what is being ground away there would be absolutely no impact on the integrity of the casting. And Honda does not take chances so I would bet that castings' wall thickness is over designed for safety margin. I would be comfortable if I ground a small amount in addition to the ridge.

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
Roughly 44k hard miles on mine and it's lasting great. I can see it going another 5k+ easily.
I changed mine at 44K but only because I had a 6K trip coming up and I wasn't sure. My Yoko is almost shot, I'm going back to GYTT on my ST next time.

OhioDeere

Been There, Done That, Got the Shirt.
Bike
06 ST1300
So after seeing that this tire could go 50K on my bike, I ordered up a set of 4 for my wife's civic. I'll check back in about 6 years and let you know how I made out.
huh! 6 years? My wife only drives 12 miles to work, and is a high school teacher! (8 months a year).. and somehow still puts on 20k/yr!!!! She smokes more tires on her SUV, then a Kid doing burnouts!

OP
OP
970mike

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
That aluminum casting, if it is like all I've seen has a ridge at the "parting line" of the mold. If that is what is being ground away there would be absolutely no impact on the integrity of the casting. And Honda does not take chances so I would bet that castings' wall thickness is over designed for safety margin. I would be comfortable if I ground a small amount in addition to the ridge.
You are absolutely right it is just that ridge in a small area that is needed to be just a little flatter and the new style GYTT will fit and not rub.

KTD1911

R.I.P. - 2020/10/13
Rest In Peace
Bike
2018 can am spyderf3
luv my triple tred 25K miles and counting. still a lot of life left,

Bike
2016 FJR
STOC #
huh! 6 years? My wife only drives 12 miles to work, and is a high school teacher! (8 months a year).. and somehow still puts on 20k/yr!!!! She smokes more tires on her SUV, then a Kid doing burnouts!
She usually only runs about 15k/yr. Any long trips we try to take the bike. My argument used to be to save gas, but not with the Goldwing. Now my argument is "it's more fun". :)

BaileyRock

Senior Screamer!
Bike
2013 Ducati MS1200S
I just mounted a new Goodyear TT in 205/50-17 on my 2003 ST1300, and I will have to take it off. It rubs horribly on the right side inner fender and just a bit on the swingarm. I was so looking forward to this change. I've run darkside on my Valkyrie for the past 80,000 miles and like it a lot.
I'm not sure why mine rubs where others have stated they are running this same tire and size.???????
Ordered a set of Perelli Angels to try. I only got 11,000 out of my PR3s, and they were badly cupped the last 2,000.
Why not just run a 190/50/17 and avoid any clearance issues?
Does it effect handling that much?
thx

Top Bottom