How do i flush the cooling system?

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My dealer quoted me $ 225 to do a coolant flush. Does this seem reasonable for the time/difficulty of the job?
If you took a stock ST1300 in to a dealer for a flush, I'm sure $225 would be about right, since they have to R&R all the tupperware. Did you ask them how much if you brought it in without the tupperware?

I refuse to let them remove any tupperware, because if they scratch it, you probably won't notice it right away and when you do, they aren't going to own up to it! :eek:4:

For me, a coolant flush costs me the coolant and I do the labor myself!:tools1:

JimSTer

Motorcycle "rider"!!
Bike
15 Yamaha FJ-09
STOC #
My dealer quoted me $ 225 to do a coolant flush. Does this seem reasonable for the time/difficulty of the job?
I'm about half way through my flush and new thermostat. I wouldn't have did the work I've done up to this point for $225. Just my TCW.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I'm about half way through my flush and new thermostat. I wouldn't have did the work I've done up to this point for $225. Just my TCW.
LOL I hear ya. Thats how I feel after most of the jobs I try on this bike.

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
A routine coolant flush in my garage takes all day because I'm so easily distracted by bleeding the Clutch & Brakes, servicing the preload adjuster, adjusting the suspension, cleaning and lubing the pivot points,
replacing the clutch lever bushing and rubber smc boot, changing the oil, driveshaft, cleaning the overflow tank, lubing the shifter linkage, adjusting and lubing the throttle cables, changing the air cleaner, doing a throttle body sync while I'm under the hood, cleaning the brake calipers, checking tire pressure, swapping out fork seals, etc.....;)
I just love it when folks come by to visit or to go for a ride....Its my Pre-Ride Inspection that gets 'em everytime! Thats why my friends call my garage "OCD Service", where you can stop in to ask for directions and end up with your brakes bled before we go on a ride :rofl1:

Last edited:
Bike
2006 ST1300
I have to say I'm somewhat the same but I'm not OCD.... I HAVE CDO. IT'S LIKE OCD, BUT ALL THE LETTERS ARE IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER AS THEY SHOULD BE

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
I would also like to see the artical if pos as my baby is now due a Change/Flush. Many thanks

I'm in the same boat! --> The article referenced/mentioned in this thread (how to best flush) would be a great help! Thank you in advance, happy riding.

Regards,
Vishnu

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I imagine the 1300 cooling system is very similar to the 1100's in design, so my comment is based on that assumption. If you change the coolant every two or three years, drained from the rad drain plug only, you are getting 90% (+ or - a bit) of the coolant out. Doing a flush with water, based on my schedule, will accomplish little and is being a bit anal, IMO. Quality coolant these days is designed to last for 5 to 7 years, meaning the additives to prevent corrosion are still in excellent condition after just two or three years. Changing it out on that schedule means no need to flush, as there will be nothing to flush out. The few quarts needed for this job hasn't broken my bank yet. It's all about preventative maintenance costing you less in the long run.

Harpo

Four Stars
Bike
Kawasaki VN800E
Don't know if this has been put out, but I didn't pull the radiator hose off the engine block because it's a bear to loosen and pull off. Since it's a crossflow radiator on the ST1300, I just put a tube down the filler neck to the bottom and siphoned the radiator dry. No need to loosen any fasteners or hoses.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Don't know if this has been put out, but I didn't pull the radiator hose off the engine block because it's a bear to loosen and pull off. Since it's a crossflow radiator on the ST1300, I just put a tube down the filler neck to the bottom and siphoned the radiator dry. No need to loosen any fasteners or hoses.
I'll be doing a coolant replacement soon. I don't plan to do a flush unless things look bad. Is there not a drain plug at the bottom of the radiator? My ST1100 has one, so just wondering. Also, where would I find the writeup on this procedure for the ST1300? I've done it many times on cars and bikes, but just in case there's something unusual about the ST1300.

Bike
2006 ST1300
If you stay on top of coolant changes you don't need a flush. The problem with flushes is the left over water in the system will throw off your 50/50 mix you put in. There will be leftovers.

No there is no drain. Pull lower hose. I also remove the radiator because there will be a lot of coolant that won't come out till it's tilted.

Last edited:

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
If you stay on top of coolant changes you don't need a flush. The problem with flushes is the left over water in the system will throw off your 50/50 mix you put in. There will be leftovers.

No there is no drain. Pull lower hose. I also remove the radiator because there will be a lot of coolant that won't come out till it's tilted.
I generally don't do flushes (just drain and fill), but this is a new to me bike, so I'm not sure what I'll find. How hard is it to remove the radiator?

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
I generally don't do flushes (just drain and fill), but this is a new to me bike, so I'm not sure what I'll find. How hard is it to remove the radiator?
Not hard at all ( just remember to plug both fans back in at the end :( ). I did mine when the thermostat was stuck open. Found some paint flecs in the overflow bottle ( removed with the small pebble shake method and water )

Personally as mentioned I just don't flush nor do I remove the engine drain plugs ( to much trouble for to little fluid ) but every couple/three years just pull the lower hose and drain, then refill with new.

read; https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?38212-ST1300-1st-Significant-Service-Coolant-Thermostat-Starter-Valve-Synch-amp-Other
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?51122-ST1300-Thermostat-Failures/page3

Bike
2006 ST1300A
A routine coolant flush in my garage takes all day because I'm so easily distracted by bleeding the Clutch & Brakes, servicing the preload adjuster, adjusting the suspension, cleaning and lubing the pivot points,
replacing the clutch lever bushing and rubber smc boot, changing the oil, driveshaft, cleaning the overflow tank, lubing the shifter linkage, adjusting and lubing the throttle cables, changing the air cleaner, doing a throttle body sync while I'm under the hood, cleaning the brake calipers, checking tire pressure, swapping out fork seals, etc.....;)
I just love it when folks come by to visit or to go for a ride....Its my Pre-Ride Inspection that gets 'em everytime! Thats why my friends call my garage "OCD Service", where you can stop in to ask for directions and end up with your brakes bled before we go on a ride :rofl1:
Hi Larry! Sounds like I may need to drive over to see you....

Top Bottom