front wheel spacers. which side?

Bike
2008 st1300
ok, i admit it i'm confused.

i removed my front wheel for service and now i'm not sure i have reinstalled it properly.

the manual implies and parts exploded view imply the wide front wheel spacer goes on the right side (i'm assuming that the "right side" is from the drivers perspective), but for the life of me i can't see how the narrow spacer can go on the left side and have the brake disk clear the left fork. can anybody clear this up for me?

thank,

huey

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Right/Brake side and Left/Clutch side

from an article by @jfheath HERE

You can see the spacer orientation:

spacers.jpg

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
No problem, this happens from time to time. Many times everything goes on and the front brake will drag.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
i guess i'm not understanding your response. i see two pictures, but which side is which. i need to know if the wide spacer goes on the brake side or the clutch side. thanks.
The pictures are situated like you are looking at the front of the bike.

However, I did say the right is the brake side and the left is the clutch side - if you are sitting on the bike.

Hope that clears it up.

OP
OP
Bike
2008 st1300
okay, i got i backwards. surprised it would go together like that. and yes getting a little noise on braking. and a lot of wobble when hands free. thanks again.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Nah... there are many here that know more that I do by far... but, I'm good with the obvious things that have bitten me before :rofl1:

OP
OP
Bike
2008 st1300
update....

good news... i got it back together correctly (it think, yet to try it out). bad news is that with the wide spacer on the brake side, the clutch side brake disk rubbed the clutch side fork tine (as i thought it would). it was so out of whack that the caliper wouldn't even mount.

i sat back and contemplated this and realized that if it could at least go together, albeit incorrectly, one way and not go together at all when reversed, that the wheel was not symmetrical as regards the brake disks. and sure enough it's not. and that meant that the wheel sans spacers could be in the fork backwards. which it was. so i reversed the wheel in the fork and reassembled it. it's also possible to mount the front tire backwards further leading one astray as to the orientation of the wheel in the fork. funny thing is i've replaced the front wheel on a number of occasions with no problems. i guess i had it coming....:eek::

thanks again everybody.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Upon close inspection you will find rotation arrows on the brake rotors. An arrow stamped near the round retention sleeves, one on each side. They indicate forward motion rotation. This also helps in mounting a new tire in case one gets side tracked during a tire change.

OP
OP
Bike
2008 st1300
Upon close inspection you will find rotation arrows on the brake rotors. An arrow stamped near the round retention sleeves, one on each side. They indicate forward motion rotation. This also helps in mounting a new tire in case one gets side tracked during a tire change.
thanks for that info. although in this case it would have been little help in giving me any confidence that all was well (or as it turned out, not so well) inasmuch as i have recently had the wheel to a wheel straightener in napa valley, and could not be assured that he had not removed the brake rotors and reinstalled them correctly. but, if i had known about the rotation arrows, i might have realized that the wheel had a preferred orientation as regards the fork. and realized my error sooner.

BTW, just got back from a 40 mile "proof of correct assembly ride". ahhhhhhhhh! nice to have the bike back the way i remember it.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
And I still forget which spacer goes on which side, and have to work it out each time.
After I remove the axle I put the spacers on the removed axle as they are assembled. Left on first, then the right and start the axle bolt to keep it all together. It is easy to get the shorter one reversed and it is hard on the seal if you do this, guess how I know. Since I keep the location and orientation correct on the removed axle, I no longer have to remember how they are suppose to go when I reinstall the wheel.

schla

STOC #7008
Bike
04 ST1300A
STOC #
This thread was a lifesaver. Pulled my front wheel off months ago to replace the tire, then summer happened and then had to pull the forks to do the seals. Went to put the wheel back on and the folks who replaced the tire reversed the left side spacer, which isn't obvious unless you look closelY. This gave me fits. Lol

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
As stated the larger spacer goes on the right side (as seated on bike), and the smaller one goes on the left side, HOWEVER, you must make sure that you didn't turn the small spacer around and put it in BACKWARDS!
If I remember correctly, one side of the small spacer is 5 mm and the other side is 10 mm, if it was put in backwards, it will hit the lower fork leg, and damage both the fork lower, and the edge of the hub on the rim!
Igofar

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
This thread was a lifesaver. Pulled my front wheel off months ago to replace the tire, then summer happened and then had to pull the forks to do the seals. Went to put the wheel back on and the folks who replaced the tire reversed the left side spacer, which isn't obvious unless you look closelY. This gave me fits. Lol
Sounds like you need to take a short ride down hwy 9 and visit OCD Enterprises for your free inspection :rolleyes:
I'm surprised I have not seen you come through the garage...I regularly get folks from San Diego, Los Angeles, Victorville, and Eureka.
Your So close, why have we not met? :well1:

Top Bottom