Roadsmart II

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Yep you got it. They now have Road Smart II out. Only bad thing for you Roadsmart fas is that they will not come in the ST1300 size. Hmmmmm I wonder why that is.

I'll see the Dunlop guys here in a couple of months and bend their ear about this.

I'll post up pics when I can.

Bike
'07 ST1300
Since Dunlop recalled and bought back all the bad production run tires there have been zero - as in not a one - complaints, only praise for these tires. It shows how far bad press can go towards biasing people against a purchase. It's been a couple years now and there is still a sticky warning every potential new Roadsmart buyer away. Now we've lost another tire choice. Coincidence? Who knows. This is a great handling tire from a manufacturer that acted responsibly. A real shame.

Bill

OP
OP
Two Brothers

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
Since Dunlop recalled and bought back all the bad production run tires there have been zero - as in not a one - complaints, only praise for these tires. It shows how far bad press can go towards biasing people against a purchase. It's been a couple years now and there is still a sticky warning every potential new Roadsmart buyer away. Now we've lost another tire choice. Coincidence? Who knows. This is a great handling tire from a manufacturer that acted responsibly. A real shame.

Bill
It took a lot of phone calls and emails. I told them point blank and told them what was going to happen if they didn't fix the issue. I think it feel on deaf ears until I contacted a local Dunlop guy that does business with us. I forwarded him all the threads and post from here and they started changing their tunes. It only seemed to start moving after I contacted Phil. It shows what the Internet can do on spreading info good or bad.

I hope they come out with something for the ST1300 but we'll have to see.

DANS ST

AKA Dan Nelson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I had a good pair of Roadsmarts. I loved those tires from edge to edge! (ok, not all the way to the edge... I left 1/4 inch of untouched rubber)

If they come out with our size for the Roadsmarts II, I will definitely give them a try.

Bike
2005 ST1300PA
STOC #
I had no issues with my Roadsmarts, but I qualified for free replacement of the front and did so just for peace of mind. The rear is now almost to the bars so I need to decide on a replacement.

Toaksy

Tim Oaks
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I had no issues with my Roadsmarts, but I qualified for free replacement of the front and did so just for peace of mind. The rear is now almost to the bars so I need to decide on a replacement.
Same here only I have already repaced my rear with another road smart like the tires the work well and I haven't had any problems and hope that I can keep getting them.

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
Same here only I have already repaced my rear with another road smart like the tires the work well and I haven't had any problems and hope that I can keep getting them.
Also, had no complaints with the Dunlop Road Smart tires (Got 2 free tho=thanks dunlop:D), and just like Honda Motorcycles, I've always had the best luck with Dunlop Moto tires, and will be very disappointed if Dunlop stops making a Sport Touring Tire for the ST. Guess i would have to just go to the dark side.:pint

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST1300
I just checked the Dunlop fitment chart and it suggests the Sportmax Roadsmart 2. Looks like they have our size available now.

Bill

Des

Bike
'00 ST1100-P
Yep you got it. They now have Road Smart II out. Only bad thing for you Roadsmart fas is that they will not come in the ST1300 size. Hmmmmm I wonder why that is.

I'll see the Dunlop guys here in a couple of months and bend their ear about this.

I'll post up pics when I can.
How about ST1100 sizes?? :rofl1::rofl1: We can only dream.....

I've ridden an RT1200 with Roadsmarts and they were good performance-wise, they didn't last too long though.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
I'm a huge fan of the Roadsmart (I often ride my ST like it's a CBR1300RR). I don't know how Dunlop can improve the tire, but RSII's will definitely be the next tires under my ST.

Bike
ST1300
I put the Roadsmart II's on my St1300 and did about 1500 local miles before going 3400 miles on a PCH trip from New Mexico. So about 5000 miles total on these tires and it looks like i did a major burnout with the rear tire - worn flat down the middle to the cord. Front tire and outside of rear are about 40% worn. I was very happy with how smooth and well handling these tires were. I looked at them in San Luis Obisbo before coming home and noticed the rear pattern was a little flat. Hit temps up to 113degF across the desert to Vegas. Not happy with how this tire wore since they advertise it to have a harder/longer wearing composite in the middle. Not sure if it is the quality of the tire or hot conditions on my return.

Anyone have comments on what may have happened to this rear tire?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I put the Roadsmart II's on my St1300 and did about 1500 local miles before going 3400 miles on a PCH trip from New Mexico. So about 5000 miles total on these tires and it looks like i did a major burnout with the rear tire - worn flat down the middle to the cord. Front tire and outside of rear are about 40% worn. I was very happy with how smooth and well handling these tires were. I looked at them in San Luis Obisbo before coming home and noticed the rear pattern was a little flat. Hit temps up to 113degF across the desert to Vegas. Not happy with how this tire wore since they advertise it to have a harder/longer wearing composite in the middle. Not sure if it is the quality of the tire or hot conditions on my return.

Anyone have comments on what may have happened to this rear tire?
How often did you check the tire pressure?

Increased wear is typically the compound or too low tire pressure.. Also, could have been a bad batch of tires as well.

Bike
ST1300
I didn't check the pressure the entire 3400mile trip (lesson learned), but checked it when I got home (35psi). Was thinking about my visual inspection though, and probably 60% of this "bad" wear was the last 1000 miles or so thru the desert. Even at 35psi I don't think it should have worn that bad down the middle. Might try a different brand this time.????

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sometimes, low psi early in a tire's life can shape the wear pattern. Ok, I just made that up but I believe it.... Running too low of a pressure the 1st 3k could cause erratic wear patterns later on.

I like the Mich PR2 and some are reporting the PR3 is a bit better.

Bike
ST1300
Thanks, I'll give it a try. I wonder how much the temp change had to do with this - 50's for three days along the coast and then up to 113 across the desert. Not sure how much that changes the tire pressure.

Planning on leaving the RS II on the front for now. Hopefully all the problems of tire separation people have talked about with the Roadsmart is not a problem with the RS II.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I loved my roadsmarts until I saw all the bad press on the fronts. Sure enough I had one of the fronts from France during the time in qestion. Dunlop refunded my dealer in full. So my dealer told my could use the money for anything I wanted. unfortunatly I opted for the Conti Road Attack 2. I loved them util the cord started showing on my rear after only 3500 miles. I will deffinatly go back to the Roadsmarts and would by the 2 if they make one for us.

Bike
2005 ST1300
A little more about my posetive experince with Dunlop. When two brothers forwarded me the campaign letter regarding the front raodsmarts I imeadiatly called the phone # at the bottom and faxed the letter to my local tire dealer (Wheel Works in Garden Grove Ca) within an hour I got a call from the Dunlop rep and Wheel Works telling me the cost of the tire would be refunded in full to Wheel Works. Dunlop called me a week later to make sure my needs had been satisfied. At that point I had 7500 miles on both road smarts. the rear was getting thin but the front looked to have 2000 miles left on it. the bad press had me nervous so I replaced both. I had done some reserch on the Cont road attack 2 and wanted to try them but I decided right then because of the level of customer service that Dunlop showed me I would definatly go back to them if I did was not happy with the continentals. By buddy Ron who is the ST rider that turned me on to this site had the exact same experience. Well the rear continental has the cords showing after 3500 miles. My dealer said he could not get the road smart 2 in our size so I am getting the original road smart. when the front conti wheres out I will get the 2 if available or the original. I am done tring out differnt tires. I wore out 2 sets of Bridgston Battle axs which was what it came with from the factory. The road smarts hanled signi***antly better and the mileage was about the same. The continentals handled fatastic but 3500 is the worst mileage I have ever gotten out of any tire on any bike and I have been riding street bike since 1976. On other bikes I have also tried Metzlers and Michelins. From now on it Dunlops for me.

Top Bottom