Roadsmart II

Bike
Suzuki 650
I just ordered a set of RS2's from Bike Bandit. The rear tire showed up the next day....looks fine and was made on th 41st week of 2014 - which makes it about 4.5 months old (Cool!).

The front tire showed up a few days later....and has a production date of the 11th week of 2012. That makes the tire almost 3 years old before I even put it on the bike! It is only a few weeks never than the tire I am taking off.

While the fresh rear tire looks great - the front tire has a smudgy dull film that just makes the tire look like it has been sittin in a warehouse for a long time....slowly aging.

I have contacted Bike Bandit where I ordered the tire to return the tire and have them replace it with a fresh one. From everything I have read on this site or others a tire should not be accepted if it is more than 2 years old....even if the tire is new. I think I got really lucky on getting the really fresh tire for the back....I just looked at the Bridgestone Battlax tires I got for my other bike and they were just over a year old when I bought them new. I guess it does take a while to get that stuff in a shipping container, on a boat, and then delivered to a nearbly warehouse - but 3 years just seems to be too long.

Since the front tire most likely will outlast 2 rear tires - I believe the front tire needs to be as fresh as possible when installed.

NCrider

Andrew Seawell
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Just found a bubble in my rear SportMax RoadSmart II.....it not even near worn out.

IMG_1626 (Medium).JPG

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
Wow,,, good reason for the daily inspection before riding. Any chance your tire dealer will offer a replacement at an adjusted price ?? Good eye,, Alan

Bike
07 ST1300
And dunlop just replaced the "new old stock" roadsmart front tire the IDIOT dealer installed on my ST prior to me buying it. Who installs a 7 year old tire?
Honestly the old roadsmart handled better then the roadsmart II for me. I do not like the turn in at all at lowish speeds. The original was fine.
High speeds it's fine.

Bike
'07 ST1300
And dunlop just replaced the "new old stock" roadsmart front tire the IDIOT dealer installed on my ST prior to me buying it. Who installs a 7 year old tire?
Honestly the old roadsmart handled better then the roadsmart II for me. I do not like the turn in at all at lowish speeds. The original was fine.
High speeds it's fine.
I run them at 43and use a touch of rear preload (+ or -) to dial in the handling. These tires seem quite sensitive to small changes in geometry and pressure. If the steering bearings are at all loose the low speed handling will go to heck in a hurry too, especially coming to a full stop.

Bill

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300
I run them at 43and use a touch of rear preload (+ or -) to dial in the handling. These tires seem quite sensitive to small changes in geometry and pressure. If the steering bearings are at all loose the low speed handling will go to heck in a hurry too, especially coming to a full stop.

Bill
I just rode about 300 miles and it felt pretty good. I did go to 43psi. Still don't care for the turn in. Seems ok coming to a stop.

Either a STealer that doesn't care about the welfare of his clientele or a STealer that's just out to make a buck. Or both.
Agreed!

Top Bottom