Roadsmart II

Bike
ST1300
WOW! I'm feeling a little stupid now. You guys talking about RSII not coming in our size, made me go look at my tires and receipt. I bought these tires on line thinking they were RSII's and had a local shop mount them for me. Now I realize they are the Sportmax Roadsmarts. So I guess I could potentially have some of the problem tires. The rear is gone after 6000 miles and I don't want to take any chances with the front (starting to feel a little shake in the bars). So going to buy the Mich PR2's. After talking with several other local riders, most think my rear tire wear flat in the middle down to the cord was due to the 113deg desert heat. Road was probably 125deg and the Dunlops have a reputation of not holding up in the heat.

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I had a front Roadsmart develop a bubble the size of a tennis ball with a 4" split on the inside. I had 11,225 miles on it (tire was in the recall range). Dunlop did nothing because they said the tire was worn out. Reguardless of the mileage, a tire should not do that. I replaced them with another set of Roadsmarts and this front tire is developing a knot at 6,000 miles (2009 date code). Again, Dunlop is doing nothing. I really liked these tires up until the point they come apart. I am done with Dunlop tires completely and that word is no longer in my vocabulary. They are coming off all my bikes. My dealer is hooking me up with a good deal for a set of Bridgestones because he thinks they are screwing everyone over on these tires.

Bike
'07 ST1300
I replaced them with another set of Roadsmarts and this front tire is developing a knot at 6,000 miles (2009 date code).
This is the very first complaint I've seen on the post-recall Roadsmarts. I scan the Dunlop threads religiously here because I'm using Roadsmarts too. If the tire is threatening to grenade I would like to know that. If it's just a funny wear pattern, I would like to know that too. Our bikes seem especially hard on tires so I will give Dunlop the benefit of the doubt - unless it develops into a trend. Pics?

Bill

OP
OP
Two Brothers

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
OK guys please do not confuse this thread with the Dunlop failures. This thread is for the Dunlop Roadsmart II (2). Not the ROADSMART which they do not make anymore. The original ROADSMART is the one they had issues with.

I will caution you. If you have the old ROADSMART tire, pay very close attention the air pressure. If you run this tire "ROADSMART" low on air pressure it may cause problems.

There have been no reports of any problems with the Roadsmart II (2). Just wanted to clear this up.

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Bill, this is my second set and was really happy with the wear and performance up to the point where they come apart. The first front tire developed a tennis ball size bubble while on a trip. I had to keep letting air out of the tire for the bubble to clear the fender just to get it back to the room (about 15 miles). That tire had a 4" split on the inside. It had 11,225 miles on the it and was still not into the wear bar. Before the bike is moved, the air pressure is always checked/adjusted. It was a recall tire but I never got a dime out of Dunlop.

The second tire has about 6,000 miles on it. It started to develop an "out of round" condition. It isn't like the last that had a bubble, it's more of a "hump". I went back to the shop where I purchased the tire and they pretty much told me that Dunlop wasn't going to do a thing for me or anyone else for that matter. I have an appointment Wednesday to have a set of Bridgestones installed so I will get a better look at the tire then. I have run Dunlops on the bike since new (first set was the 220's (9100 miles) then 2 sets of the Roadsmarts 11,225 front and 12,000 rear and now 6,000 miles). Dunlop is not getting another chance or dime from me.

I will try to take a few pics but don't know if it will show up. I will take more pics of the tire after it is off if there is something to take a pic of.

Carl

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
This is the RS and NOT the RSII. Maybe my posts should be moved to avoid confusion. At first I didn't realize Dunlop was coming out with RSII.

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
It looks like Dunlop is making the Roadsmart II in a 160/70-17 to fit the ST1100...is that correct?

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
I just put a set on, I like the way they feel. Haven't put too many miles on yet, though. When I get the alternator finished, I plan to go to Mobile/Gulfport area. My own personal RTE...

Bike
2017 ST1300PA
2024 Miles
I had a Roadsmart 2 on the front and from the first mile to the last just before I took it off, it was the noisiest tire I had ever had on my bike! After 7K mile it was shot and after dismounting it, it was so soft we couldn't believe it lasted that long. (yes it was mounted the correct direction) When I rode it into a corner in a lean it was even louder, sound like a buzz saw. Never see that tire on my bike again!

Bike
'07 ST1300
I'm on my second set of the RS2's. No noise, No scalloping - I check tire pressure before every ride. They leave me in control of the lean throughout the curve. The Michelin PR2's I had made me cut the corner, they fell into the curve so much, similar to Bridgestones - race oriented, not much fun otherwise. I love the RS2's !

Bill

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I liked the PR2's. I didn't mind the Bridgestone 020's but I liked the PR2's better.
I was thinking something different, maybe I could get a few more miles out of. Doesn't sound like.
PR2's are a little cheaper than the RS2's or the PR3's.
I didn't even do very well for miles with a CT.
Tires!! One guy loves 'em and the next guy hates 'em!

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I put Roadsmart II's on my 2008 ST1300 about 1 month and 2500 miles ago. They work very well for me so far. Has not rained around here lately, so cannot say whether or not I like the wet handling.

Bike
ST1300
Like HR Cole, my front tyre is noisy could this be down to the pressure? usually 42/42 but Dunlop recommend 36/42 what do people run theirs at?

2005RedRider

Still ridin'
Bike
2014 Harley FLHTCU
Honda recommends 42psi. That's what I run in my PR2 (front tire). No noise, no scalloping. I like the tire. I run 38psi in my rear tire though (it's not a PR2). Don't tell anybody.

Dale :D

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Got an offer from the local Honda dealer for Dunlop RoadSmart II. $159 rear and $129 front + $100 for the installation. Is this ok?

Gymbo

R.I.P. - 2021/08/30
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Got an offer from the local Honda dealer for Dunlop RoadSmart II. $159 rear and $129 front + $100 for the installation. Is this ok?
$50/tire for mount and balance is a little steep if you are bringing in the wheels off the bike...at least in my neck of the woods. I don't think that is too bad at all if the dealer is going to R&R the wheels. Just make sure they know what Moly60 is. I had a set of Roadsmart II's on my last ST1100 and really liked them.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
I want to try something different, so I just ordered a set from Dennis Kirk. I love the Dunlop Q3s that I have on my TLS, so I thought I would give these a try.
I have talked to some that love these tires. Good luck and keep us posted on your findings and mileage.

Bike
'07 ST1300
I'm about to replace the RS2 front at a little over 8,000 miles. The center wear markers are still good but the roads are mountainous and abrasive here so the side markers are more worn. I'll bet it could go at least another thousand on the highway. Here are some wear pattern pics. Notice how there is near zero scalloping. The crown profile is a bit pronounced but not bad for end of life. For the record I have run 42/42 for the life of the tire and just recently discovered the handle greatly improved at 43/43. Tire gage off? I don't know. It is interesting though that only one pound pressure lightened up the steering dramatically.

[/URL]

[/URL]

Top Bottom